Cab size feels cramped.

jmneill

jmneill

Aug 5, 2021
Dixie
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So after cancelling an inked deal on an X3, due in no part the machine itself, I find myself looking at the Talon again. I want the Honda reliability, I want the transmission and I want to want the machine, despite the 104HP.

I hadn't ever sat in a Talon, so when a dealer got a used one into stock, I made the two hour drive to feel it out, ergonomically speaking.
I'm 6'2" 200lbs on the nose, and the thing makes me feel cramped. Leg room is fine, as I have a short inseam, but every other aspect feels cramped. Sitting in the X3 is akin to a Lincoln town car. In the Talon I feel like I'm in an '83 Ranger, with a speaker box behind the seat. I thought maybe it was just me, so I asked a passerby if I "looked cramped" in the machine and their immediate reply was "yes, definitely."

So, to those of you that felt the same way and still bought, did you get used to it?
The question is really as simple as that, as I don't see a way of modding my way out of the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a buddy who was in the same boat as you, he felt the talon was too small cab wise. He is 6'2 300lbs or so, he went with the x3 4 seater. While it's a great car he had a belt slipping last time we went out which limited us on where we were going. He also had issues that the local shop called a issue from the factory (something with the bearings in the rear end (don't recall details). His car was in the shope for 2-3 weeks. He also noticed an issue with the axle feeling loose, keep in mind his machine has 200ish miles on it.

I know he's really happy with it, and you're bound to run into problems with any car but I couldn't help but bust his stones a little bit and gave him s*** for buying a machine with a rubber band drive.

If you're planning on modding I'd sooner go with a Talon, but you have to be comfortable in what you're driving. I will say the cab is much bigger in the X3.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So after cancelling an inked deal on an X3, due in no part the machine itself, I find myself looking at the Talon again. I want the Honda reliability, I want the transmission and I want to want the machine, despite the 104HP.

I hadn't ever sat in a Talon, so when a dealer got a used one into stock, I made the two hour drive to feel it out, ergonomically speaking.
I'm 6'2" 200lbs on the nose, and the thing makes me feel cramped. Leg room is fine, as I have a short inseam, but every other aspect feels cramped. Sitting in the X3 is akin to a Lincoln town car. In the Talon I feel like I'm in an '83 Ranger, with a speaker box behind the seat. I thought maybe it was just me, so I asked a passerby if I "looked cramped" in the machine and their immediate reply was "yes, definitely."

So, to those of you that felt the same way and still bought, did you get used to it?
The question is really as simple as that, as I don't see a way of modding my way out of the problem.

Thanks in advance.
I'm the same size as you 6-2 200lbs and have a 2X and I don't feel cramped. In fact never crossed my mind. I'm snug and in control as you should feel in a sport machine If I want comfort to be able to stretch out, I'll get in my wife's Nautilus with the 26 position seats with massage.

jmneill

jmneill

Aug 5, 2021
Dixie
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a buddy who was in the same boat as you, he felt the talon was too small cab wise. He is 6'2 300lbs or so, he went with the x3 4 seater. While it's a great car he had a belt slipping last time we went out which limited us on where we were going. He also had issues that the local shop called a issue from the factory (something with the bearings in the rear end (don't recall details). His car was in the shope for 2-3 weeks. He also noticed an issue with the axle feeling loose, keep in mind his machine has 200ish miles on it.

I know he's really happy with it, and you're bound to run into problems with any car but I couldn't help but bust his stones a little bit and gave him s*** for buying a machine with a rubber band drive.

If you're planning on modding I'd sooner go with a Talon, but you have to be comfortable in what you're driving. I will say the cab is much bigger in the X3.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I don't want the CVT, or the belt that comes with it.
I like the horsepower, available suspension and for me personally, what is a really comfortable cab and seating position.
That's where it ends with the Can-am.
Some of the fit and finish is downright embarrassing.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I don't want the CVT, or the belt that comes with it.
I like the horsepower, available suspension and for me personally, what is a really comfortable cab and seating position.
That's where it ends with the Can-am.
Some of the fit and finish is downright embarrassing.
Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying either one is bad or better than the other. I'm sure there's a lot of people here that have had bad experiences with their Honda too.

What sold me on the Honda is the transmission, and the typical Honda reliability that goes with the name. I have the x4, so the stadium seating was also a huge plus for me since I have two kids.

It's funny because I'm looking for trucks right now and it's kind of the same situation with the side by sides. Only if I could get a Ford body, Allison transmission (Chevy) and Cummins engine (Dodge) I'd be really happy . Sadly there's pros and cons and you gotta weight it out.

jmneill

jmneill

Aug 5, 2021
Dixie
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It's funny because I'm looking for trucks right now and it's kind of the same situation with the side by sides. Only if I could get a Ford body, Allison transmission (Chevy) and Cummins engine (Dodge) I'd be really happy [emoji. Sadly there's pros and cons and you gotta weight it out.

Indeed.

M

Moog5050

Feb 6, 2022
Rochester
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
It’s strange how the cab fits some. I am 6’1” 320, played college ball and lifted weights for the last 35yrs. I don’t feel cramped at all. It’s not like sitting in my Ford raptor but plenty comfortable for a sxs.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
My buddy is 6'10 325lbs...

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Maybe he should consider a P1K if he values comfort and room over speed and cool.

On the trails, I wait on Talons, X3s, and RZRPro Turbos all the time. Mainly because they all get covered with mud starting at 8mph but P1K is good for 15mph and stay clean.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maybe he should consider a P1K if he values comfort and room over speed and cool.

On the trails, I wait on Talons, X3s, and RZRPro Turbos all the time. Mainly because they all get covered with mud starting at 8mph but P1K is good for 15mph and stay clean.
Wutchu talkini' 'bout, Willis - I'm blinded at speeds far under 8 mph (with Rokblokz fender extenders). :(

I Bt9X3KB XL

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Thanks in advance.
I will answer your question exactly as you asked it. I am 6'4" 225 lbs. At first, I felt very cramped (almost claustrophobic) and not enough leg room. After the first outing, I fabbed some brackets and moved the seat back and up. Leg room is now acceptable and that claustrophobic feeling went away in a few outings. Now I feel "cozy and safe".

jmneill

jmneill

Aug 5, 2021
Dixie
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will answer your question exactly as you asked it. I am 6'4" 225 lbs. At first, I felt very cramped (almost claustrophobic) and not enough leg room. After the first outing, I fabbed some brackets and moved the seat back and up. Leg room is now acceptable and that claustrophobic feeling went away in a few outings. Now I feel "cozy and safe".

Thanks Paul, I appreciate you taking a moment to do so.
The Talon is the machine I want to want.
It's the reason I joined the forum 6 or 7 months ago, and the reason I am here today.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm 6'4", 270 lbs. The Talon has a compact cockpit for sure. Could I use a bit more leg room? Certainly, but it's manageable for me. Admittedly, I haven't done any 100+ mile days, but I do ok with it.

Steve

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's funny because I'm looking for trucks right now and it's kind of the same situation with the side by sides. Only if I could get a Ford body, Allison transmission (Chevy) and Cummins engine (Dodge) I'd be really happy . Sadly there's pros and cons and you gotta weight it out.

The Cummins/Allison combination would be great but trust me the Ford body is not all it's cracked up to be. Heavy on the cracked part. We work on them every day.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!