P1000 Cargo trailer size??

J

JTW

I had the wood floor of my trailer Rhino lined and two feet up the walls. Easy to clean and good grip.

Make sure the ramp can support the weight of any vehicle you plan to put in there. In case you want to move a tractor around or something
Also... I like the rhino liner idea.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Here’s my list of ideal items and things to ask questions about... anything I’m forgetting??

Trailer list-8.5x20x8

V-nose cut down
Screw less sides
One piece roof
Torsion axles
Buddy bearings
5200# tandem axles
7-7.5’ door
Dual brakes
Vinyl walls
Insulated
Ready for AC
Aluminum frame benefit/price
Aluminum floor price
Axles back for load distribution

Your list looks good.

Everybody got there own ideas what they like so here are mine.

1 Aluminum is a must!!!! are Expedition with a 3 valve 5.4 liter motor got its hands full with a empty 8.5 x 24 plus V nose Stealth cargo trailer with a steel frame.

2 if you get 8.5 wide you need to add towing mirrors to your Expedition as you wont be able to see around the side of the trailer.

A 7 foot wide trailer will pull much easier then 8.5 trailer when pulling it at higher interstate speeds with a gasser pick up or Expedition as gross weight is the key factor when you get into the hills.

Been there done that, good luck with what ever you buy.

Reactions: Bighorn and JTW
J

JTW

Your list looks good.

Everybody got there own ideas what they like so here are mine.

1 Aluminum is a must!!!! are Expedition with a 3 valve 5.4 liter motor got its hands full with a empty 8.5 x 24 plus V nose Stealth cargo trailer with a steel frame.

2 if you get 8.5 wide you need to add towing mirrors to your Expedition as you wont be able to see around the side of the trailer.

A 7 foot wide trailer will pull much easier then 8.5 trailer when pulling it at higher interstate speeds with a gasser pick up or Expedition as gross weight is the key factor when you get into the hills.

Been there done that, good luck with what ever you buy.
You have much trouble getting in and out of the machine in a 7ft trailer? That’s been part of my concern and reason for the 8.5

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
You have much trouble getting in and out of the machine in a 7ft trailer? That’s been part of my concern and reason for the 8.5

You will not be able to open the door if that what you mean.
In and out over the bed.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
8.5 is a must with the narrower one I had to crawl out the back. Just get the biggest one you can tow. mpg is negligible at this point.

Reactions: knuckledeep and JTW
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve sent off for my “ideal” build quote from a company in Indianapolis.. it would be ready to go for ac/heat and come with a canopy, insulated, aluminum floor, generator door.. blah blah blah. I’ve asked him to itemize it so I can kind of weight my options vs price tag. Whatever I do I’ll certainly put heat and air in it.. probably a small sink and vanity.. thinking of an open shower curtain with simple curtain pull around. Probably just do a porta potty as we already have a couple new ones dads picked up over the years. I might do a folding bunk system or maybe even hooks for hammocks. I’m thinking more of comfortable camping rather than luxury. A place to store my stuff, sleep and maybe shower or clean up. I won’t be staying in it for days on end at a campground just hanging out.

I also want something I can tow with the wife’s next vehicle. (Probably a new expedition or similar) So if we decide to take a westward trip with the kids.. everything works together. Hence another part of saying screw the toyhauler and all that extra weight when I can get everything I need from this. Plus.. I don’t get to use it often.. may as well have something that can be used for other things if need be.

If your talking about millenium.trailers there good nice trailes I found a place in Ocala fl that sells shadow trailers and there alot nicer more amenities and cheaper than millennium. I have build quote from millennum for most options I wanted and they said 68k found the dealer in Ocala. Same size trailer more options with a generator was 55k

Reactions: JTW
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
EZ lube axles.
Makes spring time maintenance a lot easyer

E-Z Lube System

Also torsion axles will tow better if you use something smaller than a 1/2 ton pickup.
If you don't have an SUV then equalized leaf springs are less hastle / last longer.
Most torsion axles don't like being stored long term with weight on them.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've been researching enclosed trailers for about 3 weeks now and have also looked at so many that they're becoming a blur. I'm looking for a much smaller one though, 6 x 10, 7 x 12 is probably the biggest I'd go. Finding one with the extra height is the hard part. Had found one on CL that was brand new and the people ended up going with a toy hauler after delivery, $2500 and had only been on there 3 days...gone! Also been looking at trailerable covers for the Pioneer and there's just nothing good out there. Good luck.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A few more items I thought about last night,
Bulldog type receiver/hitch
All external marker/turn/stop lamps LED
Fold up trailer jack with wheel
Fluorescent lights mounted in corners of roof instead of down the middle,creates less shadows.
12v and 110 volt lights with a 110 volt receptacle at rear inside of trailer.
12v loading lights mounted on roof above rear door.
We incorporated most all the features in our gooseneck and they were very nice to have oh and if you decide on an A/C they can add heat strips and our trailer was insulated as well.

Reactions: JTW and Plumber32
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not real big on towing a decent sized enclosed trailer with a half ton rig, lot's of guys do it and have no problems. If you do buy one make sure you have a good brake controller, don't buy one with less than 5200# rated axles and make sure you have the correct rated tires on your tow rig and trailer too.

If you look on some car or racing sites you can find some good deals on used trailers.

Last edited:
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Enclosed with the 2500 Cummins.

IMG 0172

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just went through trailer shopping at a local dealer. They took the time to have me bring over my P1000 to the dealer and drive it in and out of various trailers. In addition, they wanted me to road test (for 30 miles) several trailers just to make sure I liked how they pulled. So I really got an education and they got me into a trailer that worked well for me. What I ended up buying was very different that what I thought I came into buy. Maybe your dealer will let you experiment around before you buy. I thought I could get by with a 7' enclosed trailer, but once I attempted to drive in one of those I found out how wrong I was.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went through trailer shopping at a local dealer. They took the time to have me bring over my P1000 to the dealer and drive it in and out of various trailers. In addition, they wanted me to road test (for 30 miles) several trailers just to make sure I liked how they pulled. So I really got an education and they got me into a trailer that worked well for me. What I ended up buying was very different that what I thought I came into buy. Maybe your dealer will let you experiment around before you buy. I thought I could get by with a 7' enclosed trailer, but once I attempted to drive in one of those I found out how wrong I was.
So what did you end up with?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Mine is 7'
It's a tight squeeze but I can make out thru a partially opened door. I plan to carry a small power drill next time to take the door on and off.
Definitely try this before you order a 7'- one size does not fit all

Reactions: JTW and Plumber32
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
@BeerMonkey will you post a few pictures of yours? @JTW he bought one finished and it is nice. He was going to build one but lucked up and found one already finished.

Reactions: knuckledeep and JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!