P1000 Clutches fixed!!???

J

JTW

Haven't been into a pioneer but have TONS of wet clutch experience. Never heard of one drying up and sticking. Makes no sense. They can sit for a few months and oil degrades and becomes sticky. Then the plates will stick to each other. But as Snuff said, if that happened they wouldn't release at all. In any of those gears. I had a clutch get scalding hot and slip so bad it wouldn't pull me back on the return road. And next morning they were tight again. I agree with changing the oil at dealers. See if he can filter it through some cheese cloth or similar. Other than that, run it like a raped ape. It'll either restore your confidence in them or they slip and dealer replaces. Don't see too many other options.
That's the plan..

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you know I toasted my clutches on a hill when my brakes went out.. it's been a few weeks and I've been driving it around the yard waiting for brake lines to come in.. With no brakes I haven't been riding it hard just putting around. Anytime I'm in R,1,3,5 there is an rpm spike of 2000-3000 before it grabs. So I get my brakes fixed and I take it for a spin up the blacktop and back... it's about a mile run. Get home and put it up... I notice it's a little harder to shift thru the ranges but it's doable. So today I'm to take it to the dealer for warranty and I notice yesterday it's not slipping. I figure it's a fluke so this morning I try to MAKE it slip. Won't do it! I ride it probably 5 mikes around put it on hills and steep banks... I can't make it slip at all. Called the dealer and he said he can't do anything if it's not slipping. If it does it again get it to him asap. So here I am... with my Jesus machine wondering what the hell is going on. The dealer seemed to think that the clutches may have gotten dry and seized up. Then when I hammered down on it after the brakes were fixed they let loose. Does this make any sense to anyone???? Here I am thinking the friction material is gone and low and behold she's shifting like a champ again??! Any thoughts???

@Delton @snuffnwhisky @Jshell3 @joeymt33 @CumminsPusher @lee @Hondasxs @JACKAL @ohanacreek
I have this exact thing happen to me on 3 different occasions. Well
Not the brake deal. But the clutches slipping r,1,3,5 and just stop on there own. I think it's electronic issue. I'm at almost 1000 miles and haven't changed clutch yet.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not the brake deal. But the clutches slipping r,1,3,5 and just stop on there own. I think it's electronic issue. I'm at almost 1000 miles and haven't changed clutch yet.
See that's the problem I have with this thing. There's the electric side of it. I only dealt with mechanical. There are so many things that could cause that. Piece of dirt in solenoid for instance. Maybe oil pressure flushed it out and you have a perfectly fine clutch.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had it happen to me once as well. Took it to dealer before factory warranty was up. They checked and said it was fine. That was around Feb. No problems since

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's electronic issue wth mine. Happened first time at 50
Miles acted up for day and half. When I back it off the trailer when we got home I noticed right away wasn't slipping. Another time it acted up for about hour then quit I was babing it in manual to skip the gears that where slipping. Third time the next day starting acting up again. I tipping it over on it side real easy we flipped it back over and it quit slipping as soon as flipped it over. Hasn't slipped since and put another 200 miles since then. It's crazy. I've been all threw all my connections, grounds everything. Oil changes.

J

JTW

It's electronic issue wth mine. Happened first time at 50
Miles acted up for day and half. When I back it off the trailer when we got home I noticed right away wasn't slipping. Another time it acted up for about hour then quit I was babing it in manual to skip the gears that where slipping. Third time the next day starting acting up again. I tipping it over on it side real easy we flipped it back over and it quit slipping as soon as flipped it over. Hasn't slipped since and put another 200 miles since then. It's crazy. I've been all threw all my connections, grounds everything. Oil changes.
Wtf!! I remember you posting about that... I guess it could be worse.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You got nothing to lose so ride the crap out of it. Occasionally while in 5th, at 3 or 4k rpm, nail the throttle all the way to redline. When a clutch starts slipping, it'll show up first in the taller gears.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both times mine slipped consistently and were discolored dark blue from heat. First at 170 miles and then at 1200 miles. Never had braking issues. Don't know what to think about yours reverting to normal.

I recommend you start a Pioneer faith healing revival and start charging $1K to drive people's machines until they are self healed. Start with Crow Hunter & CP.

Change your screenname to BennyHin you will make a killing.

Get on the Popo forum and you can buy us all a Talon.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it wouldn't bother me as bad but this last time it acted up I was in TN. 11 hours from home and I'm
About make the trip to silverton CO next month 22 hours. We make at least one , two trips out of state a year. Fingers crossed don't give me no Sh--

J

Jshell3

My concern would be (if I were JTW) that you KNOW it's not electrical.
It didn't just start slipping one day, out of the blue, but it did just stop slipping one day?.
Eek.

I never gave mine a chance to un-slip. Who knows, maybe w/the 'hands off"approach, mine woulda been fine, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharp and JTW
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I recommend you start a Pioneer faith healing revival and start charging $1K to drive people's machines until they are self healed. Start with Crow Hunter & CP.

If it is a faith healing thing I'm guessing you could send a resume to Honda.

I don't think I have seen anyone say the frictions where glazed.
They seam to get hot - like the basket turns black - and the friction material comes apart.

There are also the cases where there is some control fault, bad ground or low voltage and the clutch slips.
But from your story about climbing El Capitan without brakes this doesn't fit.

(long winded way of saying "s*** dude")

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

They seam to get hot - like the basket turns black - and the friction material comes apart.

There are also the cases where there is some control fault, bad ground or low voltage and the clutch slips.

I've got aplenty of manure to spread.

J

JTW

Yeah.. I just don't get it. I mean they were slipping really bad. I would have bet money the material was gone. Then just as suddenly as they went out... abracadabra and they're holding like a champ! Mine isn't electrical.. I know exactly when and how they gave. What I don't get is how it's back. I'll change the oil and post pics but it sure doesn't make sense from what I understood of the issue.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Giorgio Tsoukalos meme   it was aliens

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!