2B6805A0 4FDE 4D9E 9B8C D2BD9EB98EA5

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to throw a little fuel on this fire....

the fan settings in the ECU are (stock):
on at 222F
off at 220F

w a PV3 and running the included Dynoject tune:
on at 215
off at 210

per the service manual:

I know there's a add-on to keep fan on constantly but what if I want to turn it off? Is there an add-on for that so I can get my heater hotter/quicker in the winter?

to try and answer the original question:

nothing helps to heat up hotter/quicker before the thermostat opens. there should not be any flow through the radiator or heater at this point. if there is, your thermostat is bad. a bad thermostat will make it take forever to heat up.

after the thermostat opens at approx. 180F and before the fan comes on at 222F, cardboard over the radiator will help you heat up quicker and stay hotter. the radiator is removing heat from the system without the fan running, especially when you are moving. so i think this is probably your best option to improve heater performance. it you want to get fancy and really stop all the heat loss, you could put in some valves to bypass the radiator (assuming you could find some, i have no idea)
the fan isn't running at this point anyway, so forcing it off doesn't help.

after the system reaches 222F forcing the fan to stay off will help the system get hotter, but it cant get you to this point any quicker

of course bypassing the radiator and/or fan control has its risks if you forget to monitor it.
if you have a PV3, you can change the fan set point to have it run a little hotter if you want. this would be the safest option.

to me, stopping the heat loss at the radiator (with whatever method you choose) looks like the best option to get better heater performance

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

on at 222F
off at 220F

Thank you for these details, @JoeyL. This is exactly why I said disabling the fan (with a switch) would not help the engine coolant heat up faster. The fan doesn't even come on until 222F.

J

JosephKeele

Feb 10, 2021
Basin WY
Ownership

1. 500
I know there's a add-on to keep fan on constantly but what if I want to turn it off? Is there an add-on for that so I can get my heater hotter/quicker in the winter?
On my P500 I rerouted the hoses to go into the heater core first and then the radiator. I have heat in 20 min or so and stays warm. No problem in the summer with getting hot here in Wyoming. Works well.

Reactions: ChadD and Ohio4x4
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you for these details, @JoeyL. This is exactly why I said disabling the fan (with a switch) would not help the engine coolant heat up faster. The fan doesn't even come on until 222F.
🤣🥳

Reactions: Ohio4x4
B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sounds dangerous. The fan won't kick on until the engine gets to temperature. I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: Scoop and Ohio4x4
2021ArthurGuinnessX4LV

2021ArthurGuinnessX4LV

Nov 15, 2020
Riverside, Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I tried to read thru most of the comments before hand Incase someone already mentioned it, doesn’t look like it has been. Remote start, it would allow you to begin warming up the engine from inside your house. Let it run a few minutes before you step outside. Otherwise if you cut out the fan with a switch, you’ll have one more thing to worry about. I’ve personally seen someone have an issue with a toggle switch, wasn’t on a SxS but a Jeep. Anyhow, things happen and sometimes your required to get out of the vehicle to move tree limbs, spot for someone, pick up something you dropped.. tons of reasons. At that point it would be easy to forget about the switch, next thing you know you have to turn the engine off and allow it to cool down.. my friend removed his toggle switch after that experience.

M

MosPlace

Jul 16, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I live in the upper upper Midwest, and this morning was -20 before windchill. Anyway after struggling with getting adequate heat in the cab, I removed the bypass thermostat that came with my heater and rerouted the hoses and installed a oil cooler bypass pump. You can pick them up on the ice crusher heaters website. they are based out of Minnesota so then I know what they are talking about. That is the best solution in my opinion for the P 1000 everything else didn’t work or did not give me enough heat to be satisfied. I realize it’s more expense and added effort, but it’s worth it.

Reactions: Scoop and Ohio4x4

2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Sep 28, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live and hunt in a very cold climate and wanted faster and more heat too. I might suggest you might look at the problem a little differently, rather than turn off you cooling fan, just put a piece of corrugated plastic (like plastic cardboard) over your front grill/radiator and that will make the engine warm up faster. Similar in concept to the vinyl grill covers for diesel trucks in the winter. When it's real cold you can leave it there but if you're concerned about overheating, just watch your temp gage and remove the corrugated plastic if you think your engine is getting too hot. I leave mine in place and have had no engine overheating issues.
I also went so far as to install a SECOND heater. I got the Ice Crusher, which is better than stock Honda heater because it actually has functional defroster vents. Only down side is you lose your dash cup holders. And the folks at Ice Crusher are right there for install and product questions... good folks.

Good luck, stay warm!

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im not sure what the factory CTS is rated at?
all i know is that its too cool of temp for most heaters once the fan on your heater comes on. The Delta T from the heater is quite low for specs in freezing temps.
Its not like the furnaces that I work on, you can set differnt fan speeds to achieve different exiting temps. these heaters have one fan speed.

Whats your point?
Are you one of those customers I have that when the system cant or isnt keeping up, you turn the thermostat up higher Thinking it will blow hotter? 🤣
Sorry folks…dosnt work that way.;)
The fan is controlled by the ECM, so a programmer is required to adjust the On/Off Temp. The original Fan control temps on the 2016 models is "On" at 104.57 C (220 F) and "Off" at 100 C (212 F). My 2016 is now programmed "On" at 93.4C (200 F) and "Off" at 87.81C (190 F).

The cooling system should have more than enough heat available; unless the coolant flow through the heater core is very slow. My thought is that his problem is insufficient coolant flow through the heater core, once the engine gets hot and the thermostat begins to open, I'm betting that there is very little water flow through the heater core at this point.

I think it is possible that the heater core could keep the engine cool in cold weather having little or no water flowing through the main radiator itself.

M

MosPlace

Jul 16, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
this looks like the best fix.

thermostat that isolates the radiator and flows everything through the heater and then opens up to the radiator when it gets too hot.

Although ice crusher is a great company, I removed the bypass thermostat and installed the oil coolant bypass pump. Nearly the same cost but triple the heat when using the pump compared to the bypass thermostat. Ice crusher sells both. Their service is second to none. They recommended the pump after I was getting less than ideal results with the bypass thermostat.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Although ice crusher is a great company, I removed the bypass thermostat and installed the oil coolant bypass pump. Nearly the same cost but triple the heat when using the pump compared to the bypass thermostat. Ice crusher sells both. Their service is second to none. They recommended the pump after I was getting less than ideal results with the bypass thermostat.
@MosPlace i must have skipped over your post before.

that answers the question since you have tested both. and the price between the two is about the same, so no brainer on which one to go with

G

Gundoc63

Jan 15, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
B
block the radiator with card board (2/3 of it ) and you’ll get more heat. Just remember to remove it when spring comes or a freak warm day in winter

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

on at 222F
off at 220F

w a PV3 and running the included Dynoject tune:
on at 215
off at 210

per the service manual:
View attachment 315401

to try and answer the original question:

nothing helps to heat up hotter/quicker before the thermostat opens. there should not be any flow through the radiator or heater at this point. if there is, your thermostat is bad. a bad thermostat will make it take forever to heat up.

after the thermostat opens at approx. 180F and before the fan comes on at 222F, cardboard over the radiator will help you heat up quicker and stay hotter. the radiator is removing heat from the system without the fan running, especially when you are moving. so i think this is probably your best option to improve heater performance. it you want to get fancy and really stop all the heat loss, you could put in some valves to bypass the radiator (assuming you could find some, i have no idea)
the fan isn't running at this point anyway, so forcing it off doesn't help.

after the system reaches 222F forcing the fan to stay off will help the system get hotter, but it cant get you to this point any quicker

of course bypassing the radiator and/or fan control has its risks if you forget to monitor it.
if you have a PV3, you can change the fan set point to have it run a little hotter if you want. this would be the safest option.

to me, stopping the heat loss at the radiator (with whatever method you choose) looks like the best option to get better heater performance
Under the drivers side of the seat is where the fan controller is located. If you wire an on/off toggle switch from the hot wire on the controller to the fan wire, when you turn the toggle switch on it bypasses the auto fan switch and manually turns the fan on. If the toggle switch is off the auto fan switch will still turn the fan on at the programmed temperature. I've had this on my 2017 1000-5 for 4 years and still works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk53
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So, I live in the upper upper Midwest, and this morning was -20 before windchill. Anyway after struggling with getting adequate heat in the cab, I removed the bypass thermostat that came with my heater and rerouted the hoses and installed a oil cooler bypass pump. You can pick them up on the ice crusher heaters website. they are based out of Minnesota so then I know what they are talking about. That is the best solution in my opinion for the P 1000 everything else didn’t work or did not give me enough heat to be satisfied. I realize it’s more expense and added effort, but it’s worth it.
It's the same price as the MaxStat option. In fact, Coupers is replacing the MaxStat with the electric pump on quite a few configurations, including the P1K.

Just installed my kit including the pump. It gets heat out of the vents faster, even if it's not quite HOT heat (until the bike is up to temp).

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!