P1000 Cooling fan overide

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know there's a add-on to keep fan on constantly but what if I want to turn it off? Is there an add-on for that so I can get my heater hotter/quicker in the winter?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I know there's a add-on to keep fan on constantly but what if I want to turn it off?
Why would you want to force the fan OFF if it needs it? The cooling fan override in the club store switches between constant on and factory mode (on when bike says it needs to be on, off after it cools down).
Is there an add-on for that so I can get my heater hotter/quicker in the winter?
I assume you have installed an aftermarket heater kit? If that's the case, and if you're asking if there's some way to make the engine heat the coolant up any faster than it already does or if there is some form of supplemental heating unit that can provide heat before the engine coolant does (e.g., the Rapid Heat Supplemental Heater option for the Ford Powerstroke Diesel trucks), I can only say that I've never seen one.

I have an electric water pump that moves coolant through the heater core even when the machine is idling, but that doesn't heat the coolant.

W

Wyo307

Oct 2, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-3
If you ask Richard (sxsclub store) he can make you one that does what you are asking he did it for me. Just keep an eye on the coolant temp when you turn the fan off to make sure you don't overheat your engine.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why would you want to force the fan OFF if it needs it? The cooling fan override in the club store switches between constant on and factory mode (on when bike says it needs to be on, off after it cools down).

I assume you have installed an aftermarket heater kit? If that's the case, and if you're asking if there's some way to make the engine heat the coolant up any faster than it already does or if there is some form of supplemental heating unit that can provide heat before the engine coolant does (e.g., the Rapid Heat Supplemental Heater option for the Ford Powerstroke Diesel trucks), I can only say that I've never seen one.

I have an electric water pump that moves coolant through the heater core even when the machine is idling, but that doesn't heat the coolant.
As I said I'm looking to get my coolant to heat up faster. My heater intake comes off the oil cooler then circulates back to the water pump and on to the radiator. Getting the coolant warmer quicker would accomplish my needs without over heating the engine. I've read some folks in colder climates will pinch the water line return to radiator to get their heaters to put out warmer air. Not looking to do that.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks, that's always a thought and I know lots of folks are doing it. I just didn't want to get out of my warm cab to take it off... :D
When I worked on 18 wheelers we would put cardboard across the radiators so they would heat up quicker. Sometimes on the wheel Dyno if it was cold.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
As I said I'm looking to get my coolant to heat up faster. My heater intake comes off the oil cooler then circulates back to the water pump and on to the radiator. Getting the coolant warmer quicker would accomplish my needs without over heating the engine. I've read some folks in colder climates will pinch the water line return to radiator to get their heaters to put out warmer air. Not looking to do that.
Not sure how switching the fan off manually (switch) will make any difference there, as it's not going to come on until the coolant is HOT anyway, so ...

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately turning the fan off will have no affect on the rate of heat build in the radiator…kinda like how turning up the thermostat in your house doesn’t make the house heat up faster.

the fan is controlled by the computer to come on only at a certain temp.

Coolant is only circulated once the thermostat opens on the motor.

the only way to increase heat output of the system and the rate of system heat up is to reduce the size of the heat removal capacity via blocking the front radiator, stopping flow to front radiator, or installing a second tstat to the front radiator. Messing with the fan only helps system cooling.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know there's a add-on to keep fan on constantly but what if I want to turn it off? Is there an add-on for that so I can get my heater hotter/quicker in the winter?
Why would you want to force the fan OFF
You use a 3 way position switch for Auto, On, Off combined with the fan override switch from the store. I did this with the help of @Hondasxs about 3 years ago. the OEM temp switch does hit way too early for most heaters so your heater core dosnt get nearly as hot as it should especially the Honda OEM heater. By turning it off and letting the heater fan run, you stay at 2 bars or a touch hotter if u desire. So yes you can do that and yes, why not?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Remington, the OP said he wanted to be able to disable the fan to make his coolant heat up faster. Doing that isn't going to accomplish that.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
What temperature does the engine coolant have to reach before the fan comes on, @Remington?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What temperature does the engine coolant have to reach before the fan comes on, @Remington?
Im not sure what the factory CTS is rated at?
all i know is that its too cool of temp for most heaters once the fan on your heater comes on. The Delta T from the heater is quite low for specs in freezing temps.
Its not like the furnaces that I work on, you can set differnt fan speeds to achieve different exiting temps. these heaters have one fan speed.

Whats your point?
Are you one of those customers I have that when the system cant or isnt keeping up, you turn the thermostat up higher Thinking it will blow hotter? 🤣
Sorry folks…dosnt work that way.;)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I wouldn't expect the fan to turn on until the engine was up to operating temperature. The purpose of the fan is to keep the engine from overheating, not keep the temperature below the engineered optimal temperature. As such, I wouldn't expect stopping the fan from turning on at or above engineered optimal temperature to help the engine heat up FASTER.

No. I do all my own furnace and AC repairs myself. Three in the past 1.5 years @ the new (to us) house, actually (I loathe these "high efficiency" units - more parts to break down). First was a cracked igniter, next was a bad capacitor on the AC compressor and just last week, the flame rollout limit switch tripped a few times in just a couple days, so I grabbed the new one I had in my box of replacement parts and got that taken care of. I always keep a spare for all the standard parts on hand so I can get my HVAC back online without having to wait for blokes like you ... 🤣

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Scoop. Wow. nice attitude towards a well known and respected member. I commend you for being able to change simple parts on your home furnace. Still none of this makes you the all knowing all seeing genius you attemp to convey. The condescension isn't necessary and certainly isn't appreciated. We are all here for our love of our hondas and the friendship they bring us.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Scoop. Wow. nice attitude towards a well known and respected member. I commend you for being able to change simple parts on your home furnace. Still none of this makes you the all knowing all seeing genius you attemp to convey. The condescension isn't necessary and certainly isn't appreciated. We are all here for our love of our hondas and the friendship they bring us.
Swing and a miss, @Ohio4x4. @Remington and I are good, live just down the road a piece from one another and have also shared non-public conversations. We're disagreeing about whether or not disabling the fan will make the coolant heat faster, etc.. Just because I disagree with him on something doesn't make anything condescending. He's given me lots of P1K advice and I've thanked him many times on the forums, so there are plenty of examples of appreciation and respect if you'd bother to look.

Oh, and he made a comment about furnaces and thermostats that wasn't accurate, so I pointed that out. I was being funny when I referred to "blokes like him", and I'm sure he understands that. Sorry that YOU can't deal with that.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It might be cold enough you don't have to take it off. The heater itself will act as a small radiator.
I've thought about adding a heater for additional capacity. I know my nose would run hot in traffic. As much as it sucked to do i could run the heater and not have to shut the car down.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!