P1000 Cooling fan?

B

Bkowens713

Jan 13, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello! New member here. Just purchased a 2021 1000-5 2 nights ago. Machine had 1 mile. Brand New! Upon my first ride less than 3 miles in it's overheating and I noticed that the cooling fan is not running. Immediately let it cool and eased back home. Called dealer and returned immediately. Anyone else had this issue?

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Hello! New member here. Just purchased a 2021 1000-5 2 nights ago. Machine had 1 mile. Brand New! Upon my first ride less than 3 miles in it's overheating and I noticed that the cooling fan is not running. Immediately let it cool and eased back home. Called dealer and returned immediately. Anyone else had this issue?
Nope. Mine is a 2019 and I installed a switch override. Never has overheated

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

Welcome to the forum...... Check the wire plug ins. One of the temp workers has been bending over prongs all year. Do a search around here...it's not just you.

B

Bkowens713

Jan 13, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum...... Check the wire plug ins. One of the temp workers has been bending over prongs all year. Do a search around here...it's not just you.
Wow, that's not good. Hopefully they will track down the issue at the dealer quickly. As far as the override, great idea for emergency. But, call me spoiled, nearly 20k for a new out of the box machine that I have to manually control the cooling system doesn't sit well with me. Other than this small hindrance I'm already over the moon about the pioneer.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow, that's not good. Hopefully they will track down the issue at the dealer quickly. As far as the override, great idea for emergency. But, call me spoiled, nearly 20k for a new out of the box machine that I have to manually control the cooling system doesn't sit well with me. Other than this small hindrance I'm already over the moon about the pioneer.

I'm sure you'll love it! Honda's are best they're just not as good as old Honda..... and.... covid Honda definitely isn't any better! Now dig into this forum and check out all the cool stuff you can do to it....... rule 1.... pics or it didn't happen!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hate to say it but welcome to the sxs world, if you expect a perfect setup a sxs isnt for you, some tinkering and improvements will go along with ownership. Just be happy you bought the one with the least amount of things to improve on or make bullet proof.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Hate to say it but welcome to the sxs world, if you expect a perfect setup a sxs isnt for you, some tinkering and improvements will go along with ownership. Just be happy you bought the one with the least amount of things to improve on or make bullet proof.
^This.

Welcome from Michigan.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
But, call me spoiled, nearly 20k for a new out of the box machine that I have to manually control the cooling system doesn't sit well with me.
Like said before, welcome to the sxs world! Especially in this Scamdemic era!

Welcome from another Michigander.
first Rule when u join….
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
of the machine!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, they just helped a guy with a new one troubleshoot this same issue just a few weeks ago. I think the loose connection was under the drivers seat.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Here's the thread where they solved one like yours. Probably 99% chance you can DIY it yourself without having to back to the dealer.

Reactions: Lady01
R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am a new owner of a PK-5 as well. Is there a warning light of some sort on the dash to indicate that the engine is overheating? If not, how did you know?

J

jpayne12

Feb 4, 2018
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I have had the same issues. Mine is a 2018. It has only overheated once but since that time I installed a dedicated water temp gauge, an override switch, and a light that indicates if the fan is on. Fan usually kicks on around 205, but I have still had a few cases where it got up 220 and the fan did not kick on. Since I have a switch I sort of just don’t worry with it. Hope this helps. They are good machines.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the same problem with my 2017. Sometimes the fan was on, sometimes it was off, while it was boiling over. This forum had the answer, as always! Parked it on a steep hill, radiator cap off and ran it until the cooling fan came on. 2 big bubbles of air came out and that was the last of my overheat problems!
Use this procedure to “burp” the cooling system (I tried the Honda Shop Manual procedure twice and it didn’t help) After installing a Tough Country front bumper and winch (big restriction to airflow), it would still occasionally overheat on a hard climb on a hot day, so I added a fan override switch. No issues now!!

I

iwill1010

Jan 1, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5. I am in south Florida and I went all the way cause the heat is a big problem down here. I got the tuning and over heat kit from Side By Sides | Complete Offroad Powersports | United States. Also did the spal fan upgrade cause the factory fan blow towards the radiator. The spal fan pull instead of pushing. Plus change the fluid to engine ice. Also did the spal relay kit for direct battery hook up to the second battery. Using the old fan plug to turn on and off the relay. I now average between 175 and 190 on most terrain in the heat down here. The sandy rides are running about 200 to 210. The sand ride would over heat in a matter of minutes before.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
>Also did the spal fan upgrade cause the factory fan blow towards the radiator. The spal fan pull instead of pushing.<

The stock fan does not normally "push air" it is a "pull" fan, just like the Spal fan. The SPAL fan has a better blade and should move more air, it is a worthwhile upgrade. If the stock fan "pushed air" that means that either the blade was installed backwards or the wiring on the motor was reversed. That is a DC motor, so wiring being reversed will make it run backwards.

I

iwill1010

Jan 1, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
>Also did the spal fan upgrade cause the factory fan blow towards the radiator. The spal fan pull instead of pushing.<

The stock fan does not normally "push air" it is a "pull" fan, just like the Spal fan. The SPAL fan has a better blade and should move more air, it is a worthwhile upgrade. If the stock fan "pushed air" that means that either the blade was installed backwards or the wiring on the motor was reversed. That is a DC motor, so wiring being reversed will make it run backwards.
Not sure about other years. But on my 2021 the fan blades were designed to push. I have it at home still. Cause I thought is was the craziest design to put on a machine. The spal fan blades are in the pull direction as next to my factory one the blades are in a push direction. This could be way these machine are over heating why you are riding with the air fighting each other. Or the shipped some with the wrong fan. I did all the electrical checks and all. I was shocked to see the fan this way.

• Wow
Reactions: Farmer and Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Is this the spal fan you used?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!