P1000 Cooling fan?

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no way that the fan is supposed to push. I was a HONDA tech for 25 years, never saw such a setup on any HONDA water cooled unit. I am not saying that yours does not push, just that it should not push air forward. My 2016 pulls air. You are correct, a push fan would absolutely not work and would cause overheating. The 2021 and the 2016 use the same parts (part numbers are identical), so that is definitely not supposed to be a pusher fan. The fan blade (and motor, of course) is supposed to turn clockwise when viewed from the front, if my memory serves me correctly. How about posting a picture of that fan. I'm thinking that the blade is installed backwards. Definately should not be a pusher fan

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope. Mine is a 2019 and I installed a switch override. Never has overheated

My 2018 overheated on first ride also. First check the coolant level in the radiator and plastic tank. The dealer/factory may have forgotten this step. The problem mine had was the fan electrical connector located on inside of the frame (passenger side) next to radiator wasn’t plugged in completely. If all this is good, elevate the front of the machine so the radiator is higher than the engine; take the radiator cap off and warm the machine up. This will burp the cooling system. I have a feeling that your cooling system was really low because when mine overheated I had already driven 20+ miles at 15-45 mph in 90+ degree temps. It wasn’t ‘til I was 20 miles from nowhere that mine over heated while crawling through some sand washes In low range. Hope you enjoy your machine when this minor problem is solved and WELCOME from southern Arizona.

Reactions: Montecresto
I

iwill1010

Jan 1, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tracy guy

tracy guy

Nov 29, 2021
California
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello! New member here. Just purchased a 2021 1000-5 2 nights ago. Machine had 1 mile. Brand New! Upon my first ride less than 3 miles in it's overheating and I noticed that the cooling fan is not running. Immediately let it cool and eased back home. Called dealer and returned immediately. Anyone else had this issue?
Had same problem with a brand new 2021 700-4. Dealer called me the next day and said one of the prongs on the plug was bent. Don't know if they lied to me or not. How would you assembly if bent ?

Reactions: Farmer
A

Ajkinder0809

Nov 17, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello! New member here. Just purchased a 2021 1000-5 2 nights ago. Machine had 1 mile. Brand New! Upon my first ride less than 3 miles in it's overheating and I noticed that the cooling fan is not running. Immediately let it cool and eased back home. Called dealer and returned immediately. Anyone else had this issue?
Hey dude how about you just take it in for a warranty and not post this random BS so I don't get an email about your issue?

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had same problem with a brand new 2021 700-4. Dealer called me the next day and said one of the prongs on the plug was bent. Don't know if they lied to me or not. How would you assembly if bent ?

There is a pretty good discussion at the following page:
In late summer of 2019 I installed Evans Waterless Coolant for ATVs. The problem with water based coolant is that when it gets to around 250 F it starts to vaporize and vapor will not transfer heat. The waterless coolant is not only permanent (doesn't require changing every 2 years) but boils at 375 F. That number gets a lot of unfavorable comments but the point is that you never have to worry about it turning to steam and losing its liquid cooling ability. I've had it now for 18 months and haven't had to add coolant and have never gone over 210 F. I also installed an after market digital temp gauge which is detailed in the above link so I always know what the coolant temp is. AND I have a manual switch in the coolant fan circuit so I can turn it on in the event it doesn't come on automatically. I still have occasional issues but not with overheating.

Old Gasser

advertisement
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Hey dude how about you just take it in for a warranty and not post this random BS so I don't get an email about your issue?
09955BDF 1597 40E3 BC00 84D44CE13FC7

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s what the site is for, might be random to you but some people needing help or having a question don’t need s*** from people. Nice first post ass hat.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
WOW!!! Let me ask you something…
Do you have to work real hard at being a dick or does that just come natural?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had the same problem with my 2017. Sometimes the fan was on, sometimes it was off, while it was boiling over. This forum had the answer, as always! Parked it on a steep hill, radiator cap off and ran it until the cooling fan came on. 2 big bubbles of air came out and that was the last of my overheat problems!
Use this procedure to “burp” the cooling system (I tried the Honda Shop Manual procedure twice and it didn’t help) After installing a Tough Country front bumper and winch (big restriction to airflow), it would still occasionally overheat on a hard climb on a hot day, so I added a fan override switch. No issues now!!

The plant workers in South Carolina BEFORE the pandemic clearly didn't compare to old Honda quality. I don't know if Honda of the 80's were built in Japan or what, but they rocked. Now, it's most likely temp workers. I'd bet the pre pandemic workers took full advantage of the get paid to stay home crap. @DG Rider ....do you still have that picture that explains everything?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!