Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think I may be a bad influence🤣
This was posted to the local FB group I’m in by the admin I’ve been out riding with. We were doing some talking and now maybe now things will get interesting.

8DD97088 478F 474D 82F1 C8A7BF6DF691

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
lol, that's great. Looks like you'll be splitting a sub trans soon. Did you rip up low because of this kind of beating? Have you ever done the same damage to your Pioneer?
Ya not excited for that but I hope rest will hang in there till Winter. Had problem from day 1. And yes I did make sure it was always in gear and eased into it every time. For some reason my cable would get out of adjustment most every ride, but the grinding slowly got worse. Thought it was fixed for a few weekends as it was so solid after adjustment then just went to crap again. Last weekend I f***ed it up pretty good in a bind at a rocky waterfall, barely got out in high range. This weekend it wouldn’t adjust back in.
No I’ve never had trans problems in any way with the Pioneers. Hell those things I’ve even sometimes bumped into low range at very low speed just letting off throttle, Talon I did everything right always knowing it’s a problem.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
OK, I just wondered if they were up to the task in the first place. You definitely put them through their paces, cheers!
Ya really did try protecting it. Bummer but knew long before I’d got one I’d probably have the problem. Did keep it together for 3100 miles though. It’ll get fixed but still have some riding left this year.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can you tell us why this is more likely to be a problem in a Talon than a Pioneer?
I don’t get it. Never even had to adjust cable in Pioneer. But adjustment seems to be a huge fine line in Talon. Was like a 1/16” on mine that id loose either low or reverse and then it’d stretch from adjust. Maybe shift fork is harder to move or cable slightly in more bind on mine. Hell maybe I got a bad cable or bushing was left off.I hope it wasn’t somehow related to the orioles accident it was in prior but didn’t see any transfer of hit anywhere around that area.
I adjusted it probably a dozen times, until last two it always worked for a bit afterwards. I feel it wasn’t the trans though. Hoping someone has some knowledge for me tbh. Regardless I’ll figure it out this winter.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don’t get it. Never even had to adjust cable in Pioneer. But adjustment seems to be a huge fine line in Talon. Was like a 1/16” on mine that id loose either low or reverse and then it’d stretch from adjust. Maybe shift fork is harder to move or cable slightly in more bind on mine. Hell maybe I got a bad cable or bushing was left off.I hope it wasn’t somehow related to the orioles accident it was in prior but didn’t see any transfer of hit anywhere around that area.
I adjusted it probably a dozen times, until last two it always worked for a bit afterwards. I feel it wasn’t the trans though. Hoping someone has some knowledge for me tbh. Regardless I’ll figure it out this winter.
Should be a thread here on fixing that issue, clutch dogs and the plate that has the spring attached is what I think Richard told me, but check it out. Tram and I tagged along with the Overland as passengers at this years MOM ride, it was a fanatic time, but if you ever ride with @Vondy and he stops to look at an obstacle and says, well I don't know how this will go, you will float the valves on your chuckle meter! HA!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Should be a thread here on fixing that issue, clutch dogs and the plate that has the spring attached is what I think Richard told me, but check it out.
Ya mine just seemed different then the ones I’d hear about. At first it’d bang after already adjusted and engaged correctly down the trail. It wasn’t immediate. But you didn’t know if it would bang 10ft or two miles. Then that went away and thought I was clear. Then it came back as adjustment issue. But idk,
I didn’t read into anything yet I was just going to run it till weather stopped me. Didn’t want the machine ever down on a weekend, and it hasn’t been ever. I’m gunna run it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
?Ya mine just seemed different then the ones I’d hear about. At first it’d bang after already adjusted and engaged correctly down the trail. It wasn’t immediate. But you didn’t know if it would bang 10ft or two miles. Then that went away and thought I was clear. Then it came back as adjustment issue. But idk,
I didn’t read into anything yet I was just going to run it till weather stopped me. Didn’t want the machine ever down on a weekend, and it hasn’t been ever. I’m gunna run it.
Pretty much as Richards and he did run it and it quit. One thing he could put it low going down step sections and it would hold, so pretty much told you one side of the dogs was rounded of, the other wasn't

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Pretty much as Richards and he did run it and it quit. One thing he could put it low going down step sections and it would hold, so pretty much told you one side of the dogs was rounded of, the other wasn't
Oh I know it needs internals now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!