CP’s Talon Rebuild

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ya really did try protecting it. Bummer but knew long before I’d got one I’d probably have the problem. Did keep it together for 3100 miles though. It’ll get fixed but still have some riding left this year.
Same here. 3k miles and low just went out on me. It’s been clicking, jumping out of gear for a few months. Ran it last weekend on a steep trail for 2/3,miles and working fine then a couple hours later got in a big rut on a steep grade and wouldn’t stay engaged and sounded like metal banging on metal. Had to back out because clutch was getting hot and high and wouldn’t pull out. Called dealership and they put me on a 6 week waiting list. It’s under warranty. Love the machine but this is a bummer.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ya really did try protecting it. Bummer but knew long before I’d got one I’d probably have the problem. Did keep it together for 3100 miles though. It’ll get fixed but still have some riding left this year.
Same here. 3k miles and low just went out on me. It’s been clicking, jumping out of gear for a few months. Ran it last weekend on a steep trail for 2/3,miles and working fine then a couple hours later got in a big rut on a steep grade and wouldn’t stay engaged and sounded like metal banging on metal. Had to back out because clutch was getting hot and high and wouldn’t pull out. Called dealership and they put me on a 6 week waiting list. It’s under warranty. Love the machine but this is a bummer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wanna guess that there was some abuse on the low gear before you got it. If it was worn, it could find a happy place by tweaking adjustment...but only for a bit.
It was very obvious that this machine came from the dunes and I didn’t see any signs of dirt or mud where you’d tend to use low. That was part of my attraction to buy. But not saying it wasn’t previously abused though. Literally had to adjust it on day one.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Other than the metal from the gears in the oil, it should be fine. Low and reverse are together, High is on a different shift fork.

I believe @SLOWPOKE693 was looking to find a way to delete low gear for weight reduction.
Time for a magnetic drain plug to get the swarf out.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Other than the metal from the gears in the oil, it should be fine. Low and reverse are together, High is on a different shift fork.

I believe @SLOWPOKE693 was looking to find a way to delete low gear for weight reduction.

Funny you mentioned that. The gaskets and updated parts just showed up to my house yesterday. As soon as I get back from my work trip (hopefully tomorrow) I'm going to open up the subtrans case and see what I can machine off low gear to lighten things up.

H

HondaTech

Funny you mentioned that. The gaskets and updated parts just showed up to my house yesterday. As soon as I get back from my work trip (hopefully tomorrow) I'm going to open up the subtrans case and see what I can machine off low gear to lighten things up.
We've been in the race cars again here the last few weeks (twisted the main shaft in half again), I think the low gear dog also engages park so it might cause some issues.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We've been in the race cars again here the last few weeks (twisted the main shaft in half again), I think the low gear dog also engages park so it might cause some issues.

I'll have to see what's what when I get it open. I have no intention of removing anything, its more of a "what can I machine off of the gears to make them lighter" sort of thing.

What main shaft are you twisting in half, subtrans or main transmission shaft?

H

HondaTech

I'll have to see what's what when I get it open. I have no intention of removing anything, its more of a "what can I machine off of the gears to make them lighter" sort of thing.

What main shaft are you twisting in half, subtrans or main transmission shaft?

The shaft with the shift dogs/gears stacked inside the sub trans. This will be the 2nd one in the same spot, right at the oil hole.

Talking to others that race the Talon, it appears they are good got around 1000 miles in race conditions before they see problems. If the shaft breaks it takes out everything else, chips teeth. If you catch it before, then you can just replace the shaft. Ours was even cryoheat treated and polished this time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!