Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just curious if anyone would be interested in a template for their skid plate. I have drawn it in CAD and am thinking I could make it available as a PDF that you could send to your local office depot or printing store, so long as they have a 36" wide plotter, and have it printed all as one piece as a banner.

It is a three piece design with the seams running front to back. One large piece to cover the belly and two small pieces to cover the rock rails if you want them. It can be made from a single 4' x 8' sheet of UHMW or whatever other material you choose. I ordered a piece of 1/2" UHMW that I am picking up on Monday in order to test the template and make sure my measurements were all good.

To mount the large belly piece you can reuse the factory hardware (I will need longer bolts), plus an additional 4 bolts and washers and one 1" spacer (nylon or brass I suppose will work fine). For the side pieces you will have to order some more cup washers and either rivnuts or self tappers.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll take the next step. Otherwise I'll make mine and be done LOL...

UPDATE - skid plate template is ready for release!

Message me on HondaSXS.com or email at [email protected] and I will send you the template.

All you need is a 4'x8' sheet of material, jig saw, 1" spade bit, drill, maybe a circular saw, scissors, and a sharpie. You will need fourteen longer M6x1.0 bolts (I used 30mm) and two significantly longer bolts for the locations which require the spacers (I used 60mm). You will also need four M10x1.25 bolts with about a 30mm length and four fender washers to go with them. I purchased all this hardware at Lowes, in stainless. If you opt to install the two optional bolts near the front of the frame you will need two additional cup washers from Honda (50403-HL3-A00) as well as two long M6x1.0 bolts with nuts and regular washers. These two bolts are not in factory locations and require you to drill a small 1/4" clearance hole in the sheet metal gusset in the frame. Sorry for the long write-up, but here it is:

I finally got around to finishing up the template and am ready to email it out to anyone who wants it. To recap, it is a single PDF file that can be printed at your local office depot or anywhere that has a 36" wide format printer. My local office depot printed mine and it was $18. The PDF is 36" by 144" (or 12'). It can be printed in black and white to save money (the line weights are different and will make the print decipherable even in b&w). When setting up the print you need to ensure that any option which reads "print to 'original size', 'original scale' or '1:1'" should be used; anything that reads something to the affect of "scaled to fit" should not be used.

It is crucial that the template is printed to the exact scale I have provided, otherwise it will be completely worthless. Just for this reason I have included a small portion of a ruler which will print out on each end of the template. This way, no matter which end of the template comes out first, the person printing the template can check with a ruler if the printed measurements align with their ruler. If they do not, they can go ahead and cancel the print and try again. After it is all printed out, you should check with a tape measure to ensure that the total length of the main belly skid is exactly 93" long and 30" wide. Again, if the measurements are not accurate then throw the template away; if you use it, you will be wasting your sheet of skid plate material. If the template measures correctly then proceed :)

Step 1 - Get some saw horses so you don't break your back... too bad.

View attachment 79626

Step 2 - Unroll your template and check the measurements to see if the high school kid at office depot followed your instructions correctly. In the pictures it appears that my measurements do not line up. I assure you they did, the angle is bad in the pictures. These need to be spot on, otherwise the person printing used the wrong setting and the template is trash LOL.

View attachment 79627 View attachment 79629 View attachment 79628

Step 3 - Cut out the paper template and tape it to your material. I chose 1/2" thick UHMW in a 4' x 8' sheet. This is enough material to cover the entire bottom of the machine. My other choice was a 4'x10' sheet of 3/8" thick. The price was only a couple dollars more for the smaller sheet of 1/2", so I went this route.

Step 4 - I traced the outline of the template to the material with a silver sharpie, then cut it out with a jig saw and a fast cut blade meant for wood. With a little orbital action this setup cut like butter. I have included center marks for all the radii and their measurements, in case you would like to drill them out and then connect all the holes with straight cuts. I found the jig saw cut the curves very easily and was very fast. Keep in mind, no part of the outline has to be exactly perfect. There is a huge fudge factor available here. The only critical part of this whole thing is the distance between all the mounting holes. Which brings us to the next step.

View attachment 79630

Step 5 - Tape the template back down to your cut out skid plate. Then use a 1" or 1-1/8" spade bit to start each of the mounting holes by drilling through the paper template and into the skid plate material. Just mark the holes at this point. You can remove the paper template to finish drilling them, this way you won't accidentally snag the paper template and tear it or move it out of alignment. You need to get all of these holes started/marked without moving the template at all. Like stated before, this is the only critical part of the whole process so make sure the template doesn't move while starting/marking these holes.

View attachment 79636

The factory skid plate holes are a little over 1-1/8". You can use this size if you like or you can use a 1" diameter spade bit like I did. By using the 1" I did not have as much wiggle room to move the fasteners around in the holes and consequently had to chew a little material out on two of the holes to get the cup washers to lay completely flat in the hole like they are meant to. Barely any material had to be removed, I just let a drill bit rub the inside of the hole for a second and that's all it needed. I did make adjustments on the final version of the skid plate template however, so I don't believe you will have this issue.

Step 6 - I then used a jig saw to cut out the drain plug slots and holes. I debated back and forth on the exhaust cut outs and ultimately chose to cut them out per the factory design. It is extremely hot where I ride in the summer and we do a lot of slow technical in the woods with no air flow. I have included all the factory drain and vent locations/designs on the skid plate; you chose which ones and how you want to cut them out.

View attachment 79637

There are two options on the skid plate for the front corners near the front tires. One option is like the picture above and is meant to have the corners bent upwards at a 45 degree angle. The other option is to remove more of the skid plate material and have the plate simply lay flat and follow the contour of the frame. I originally had it cut for the "bending" option, but after realizing it was going to be a pain to bend this 1/2" UHMW, I went ahead and cut it off to the second option.

At this point you are basically done. There are a couple other things you may want to do though. I have included on the template the location of a relief cut to help the front of the skid plate bend upwards. This cut should be approximately 1/2 the thickness of the material and 2 saw blades wide, and made on the top side of the skid plate so the bottom side remains smooth. Please don't make the mistake of cutting this slot on the bottom side...

View attachment 79638

In the below picture you can see at this point I had made the decision to cut out the exhaust vent holes. On the template I have modified them from the OEM design to include a little additional material around the one mounting bolt location. At this point I had also decided that bending the material was going to be really hard to do and had cut the front of the template with the second option to just lay flat and follow the frame.

View attachment 79639

Also, just to make it a little cleaner, I used a 1/4" round over bit in the trim router to really make it fancy LOL. You DO NOT want to round over the mounting bolt holes, leave these squared off.

View attachment 79640 View attachment 79641 View attachment 79642

And Lastly, there are two mounting holes that I have indicated on the template which need spacers between them and the frame. One will require approximately 1/2" spacer, and the other a 1" spacer. I just used scrap UHMW to make spacers, and doubled them up for the one bolt. If you are using 3/8" UHMW I'm sure that will be close enough. Hole saw plugs work great for the spacers. If you are having trouble aligning these spacers, I found out that if you have long arms you can actually reach both spots from the top side by only removing the seat.

View attachment 79615

Here is the final product all mounted. You can see in the picture I have not installed the two optional bolts near the front, however the holes have been drilled (I am still waiting on the cup washers from the Honda dealer). I also included a picture to show how far past the main frame rails the skid plate will extend and overlap the rocker skids, with the template width of 30". You could easily add or subtract a little to your liking.

View attachment 79623 View attachment 79624 View attachment 79622 View attachment 79621

Rocker Skids

In your 12' long print out, there will be a template for both side pieces to cover the rockers. I have not mounted these yet on my pioneer, but after cutting them out I believe the template is accurate. I Have not included any mounting hole locations on the two side templates since there are no factory holes. I plan on using about five 1/4" or 6mm self tapping screws and five cup washers from Honda, per side. I think you can decide for yourself where you would like to screw them in at. If the self tappers fail or don't seem good, then I'll replace with 6mm bolts and rivnuts. I may include the locations I use on later versions of the template.

All in all this is a very easy project. If you have a source for the material then I say it is an easy way to save some money. I hope it helps a couple of you out!
View attachment 79631 View attachment 79632 View attachment 79633 View attachment 79634 View attachment 79635 View attachment 79643
Nice Job... I would like a copy of your PDF template. I apologize in advance for this question but I have no clue where to buy UHMW locally. Where do you find this product?

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice work... great tutorial... I would really like a copy of your skid plate template. [email protected]. Let me know how much$$.

Thanks in advance!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice Job... I would like a copy of your PDF template. I apologize in advance for this question but I have no clue where to buy UHMW locally. Where do you find this product?

I bought mine at a shop that specializes in plastics. They sold me a whole sheet

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lady01,

Places to get UMHW. Cope Plastics, Regal Plastics, SABIC Polymer Shapes, Queen City Plastics in Ohio, PolyFab Plastics in Springfield Mo. If you call any of these places, ask if they would also machine it. Most all do custom work and have large cnc routers to cut it.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
P

patpete

Apr 8, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
38FA4709 41E0 4666 B3B8 646DDCA62F23
680054D0 5526 4A4C 988D 23815918E25E

1/4 “ cardboard for template all butting edges routered to have 1-1/2” overlap center piece Doritos out for servicing 3/8” uhmw

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey! It finally let me upload the PDF! Coulda swore it wouldn't work before. So if you want the template it is at the bottom of the very first post. If you need it as a .DXF or something else just let me know. Thanks guys!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!