P1000 DIY Skid Plate Template

J

JTW

I didn't think 50 cents a sq.ft. was that bad. it will be two pdf files, one is 8' long and the other is 6' long. So I guess right about $21 actually. but that isn't too bad for just emailing a couple files and picking them up an hour later.

I just picked up my 1/2" sheet of UHMW... I think 3/8" would be sufficient. This 1/2" is ridiculous LOL! My local supplier only had 3/8" in a 4' x 10' size and it was only $5 less than the 1/2" 4'x8' sheet. Since all you need is 1/2", I went that route. It was $330.

I believe for less than $350 I will have a $700 skid plate. Little bit of work, but if you have the time, and a wife that hates seeing you spend money, then I think this is a good option haha.
That’s what I thought when I got a 1/2” 5x10 sheet. Lol

Reactions: Biteme and CTDpower
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could an admin please remove the 6 pictures at the end of my write up. For some reason it won't save with them deleted?

Thank you!

Reactions: Biteme
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just sent a few templates out. I will be out of town riding this weekend so if you request one, I may not get back to you until Monday.

Later!

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm back from riding for a few days and am able to email the template out to anyone who wants it. I'll be leaving again on the 4th for more riding though.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I am caught up on sending out templates. If you requested one and didn't receive an email from me, please send me another message or email. I am going riding the next 5 days, but on Monday I'll be back and sending them out again!

Reactions: Biteme and JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to steal CTD's thunder but this is what your skids should look like. I have mine off for maintenance right now.

IMG 20180705 091002951

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks exactly like the template... except those two holes nearest to the corners you have bent up. My 1000-5 doesnt have factory holes there? Instead it has a center hole between the two that are just rearward of those two. I added two optional additional ones near those locations in the front corners.

Well, I dont think I explained that very well lol.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks exactly like the template... except those two holes nearest to the corners you have bent up. My 1000-5 doesnt have factory holes there? Instead it has a center hole between the two that are just rearward of those two. I added two optional additional ones near those locations in the front corners.

Well, I dont think I explained that very well lol.

I know what you mean. I bent up the front inner corners to protect the frame rail ends and help transition from the a-arms to the belly plate. There's a big bowl in the skid plate without it tied to the frame. I also just added 3 large holes forward of the first cross member to allow a bit more air flow under the seat.

B

Barnstormer

Mar 17, 2016
Barnum, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know what you mean. I bent up the front inner corners to protect the frame rail ends and help transition from the a-arms to the belly plate. There's a big bowl in the skid plate without it tied to the frame. I also just added 3 large holes forward of the first cross member to allow a bit more air flow under the seat.

View attachment 80245
Have any of you tried HDP High Density Polyurethane in place of UHMW ??
My plastic supplier said it should work as well at 1/2 the price.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have any of you tried HDP High Density Polyurethane in place of UHMW ??
My plastic supplier said it should work as well at 1/2 the price.

It will gouge way easier, meaning chunks will get taken out faster. It will wear almost as well against abrasion, but sharp stuff and the points of rocks will take their toll much faster.
Also recycled UHMW will not hold up as well as virgin UHMW.

I am about to replace my 5/16 (it wasn't ⅜ but I paid under $350 shipped) Recycled UHMW skid plate I got from SSSOFFROAD HAD a warranty but said and I quote "We have had to stop providing warranty as to many because people are using them as a tool to slide over things instead of protection." WELL YEAH its called a SKID PLATE, you should make them better ya cheap bastards.

Going with ½" UHMW either using this template, Trail Armor because WARRANTY or if I buy probably Factory UTV since its a single middle piece.

B

Barnstormer

Mar 17, 2016
Barnum, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you
It will gouge way easier, meaning chunks will get taken out faster. It will wear almost as well against abrasion, but sharp stuff and the points of rocks will take their toll much faster.
Also recycled UHMW will not hold up as well as virgin UHMW.

I am about to replace my 5/16 (it wasn't ⅜ but I paid under $350 shipped) Recycled UHMW skid plate I got from SSSOFFROAD HAD a warranty but said and I quote "We have had to stop providing warranty as to many because people are using them as a tool to slide over things instead of protection." WELL YEAH its called a SKID PLATE, you should make them better ya cheap bastards.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!