P1000 DIY Skid Plate Template

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1/2" is recycled uhmw. I could get virgin, but it was more money and white. The supplier talked me into the recycled, they actually acted like it was just as good as virgin, although I wasn't buying it lol. So far it has held up nicely. The rocks down here in the Ozark hills can be brutally jagged. I do have some scratches under there, but at 1/2" thick it will be years before anything is remotely close to getting through. If i was back in the rockies or moab i bet id never have to replace it.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone used the factory skid plate as a template and made the skid out of 3/16 steel? I don't mind if it dents, as long as nothing penetrates. Thinking of doing this for my 1000-3. Not impressed with factory plate. Minor rocks and already cracked.

Reactions: Biteme
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CTD, Other than being awkward to handle, is there a reason for not making it in 1 big piece rather than 3? I realize it would have to be a 5x8 or 5x10 piece of material. Just wondering.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CTD, Other than being awkward to handle, is there a reason for not making it in 1 big piece rather than 3? I realize it would have to be a 5x8 or 5x10 piece of material. Just wondering.

A 5x8 I believe is all that is necessary. The problem is that the main frame is lower than the side frame pieces. If you look under there you'll see what I'm talking about. To me it seems like it would be hard to support the side pieces of the skid as they span from the main frame out to the outside edge of the rockers. But mostly it is because a 4x8 sheet was significantly less than a 5x10 sheet and the downside of those two longitudinal overlapping seams seemed minimal.

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply and I see what you mean about the frame. Nice drawing btw. I'm playing around with the dxf now. I noticed you mentioned the 1" mounting holes being slightly tight. I might go to 1.06" just to be sure.

DanDan

DanDan

Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, tejas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1/2" is recycled uhmw. I could get virgin, but it was more money and white. The supplier talked me into the recycled, they actually acted like it was just as good as virgin, although I wasn't buying it lol. So far it has held up nicely. The rocks down here in the Ozark hills can be brutally jagged. I do have some scratches under there, but at 1/2" thick it will be years before anything is remotely close to getting through. If i was back in the rockies or moab i bet id never have to replace it.
Are you in the Arkansas hills or the MO hills?

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just finished my DIY 3/8" UMHW skid plate install. Special thanks to CTDpower for the initial file. The geometry is spot on. I ended up changing the file to be more like the Factory plate and sent the file to a company I do business with that has several big cnc routers.

IMG 3963 IMG 3968 IMG 3969 IMG 3964

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just finished my DIY 3/8" UMHW skid plate install. Special thanks to CTDpower for the initial file. The geometry is spot on. I ended up changing the file to be more like the Factory plate and sent the file to a company I do business with that has several big cnc routers.

View attachment 107781 View attachment 107782 View attachment 107783 View attachment 107784

The finished product looks great but I'd add some drain holes in the sides just forward of the rear wheels as that area fills with mud pretty bad. I'd also add a bit more ventilation for the exhaust to mimic the factory holes. I find a lot of debris gets caught just forward of the rear diff and the holes make that easier to blow out.

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The finished product looks great but I'd add some drain holes in the sides just forward of the rear wheels as that area fills with mud pretty bad. I'd also add a bit more ventilation for the exhaust to mimic the factory holes. I find a lot of debris gets caught just forward of the rear diff and the holes make that easier to blow out.

Thanks Todd. That's good advise.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Todd. That's good advise.

My skid plate is off right now for install of my frame crossmember gussets. Here's what it looks like down the middle

Exhaust vents down one side and the center. Oil drain access on the other side
IMG 20190210 135821

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Biteme and Bones
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
MO. We ride at cloud 9 ranch. Pretty much live there all summer long. Then we do a little riding back home in central IL, but riding around farmland doesn't really count lol.

Well hell, we'll have to meet up for a ride. We like to stay at Hill Country and Powder Mill. Actually, last time we were there I noticed an LE at Powder Mill.

1Gerry

Nov 18, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
MO. We ride at cloud 9 ranch. Pretty much live there all summer long. Then we do a little riding back home in central IL, but riding around farmland doesn't really count lol.
Nice skid plate! Could I get a copy of the drawing in .dxf?

Thanks

Gerry

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!