ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
63" wide, I will make it 2 pieces. I will use a festool domino to make the seem between the panels. I want to replicate the FUTV style vs 3 piece on trailarmor.

Service manual says P1k is 63" wide. I will measure exactly rail to rail when I get home. Figure 63 is a good starting point for pricing.

The only down side to the mid belly lateral split on the skid plate is that the factory rock sliders are about 3/4" higher off the ground than the center frame tubes so you'll be bending the plate around the edge of the frame on both sides. I avoided the lateral split because if you're sliding over rocks you will point load and flex the UHMW and you could potentially get hung up on the seam in the material where it is unsupported between the rock rail and the frame rail.

For me the longitudinal seam made more sense
IMG 20161231 124504316

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see what you did now. I hope to get mine on ramps this weekend and get under it with a tape and sketch pad.
I don't mind relieve the back a bit to bend it up towards the rock rails.
I have considered splitting some 2"OD .120 wall tubing and adding it to the rock rail. Mine has taken some damage already. With lateral splits, I want to use dominos for alignment, and maybe some sheet steel on the back for more support.

Reactions: JTW and pct
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
11A33D87 161F 496A 9A12 B56F1134E6CA 2641 000004D5A5084D74
I got 60 feet of this stuff left over from a job. It's dog bone uhmw thinking about skids on the stock pan

S

Strick9

Jan 17, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The only down side to the mid belly lateral split on the skid plate is that the factory rock sliders are about 3/4" higher off the ground than the center frame tubes so you'll be bending the plate around the edge of the frame on both sides. I avoided the lateral split because if you're sliding over rocks you will point load and flex the UHMW and you could potentially get hung up on the seam in the material where it is unsupported between the rock rail and the frame rail.

View attachment 62776
Looks like the skid plates turned out awesome!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 62776
Got all my tools out to do the visor today, just couldn't do it. Went back to the retractable visor thought, found some friction hinges and going to try to build fold up visors. The fold ups will be great with the tinted plexi glass that you can see through. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: ToddACimer
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well for what it's worth I found a place to order some UHMW. The company is Midland Plastics and I believe they have a few locations around Wisconsin, illinois, and Iowa.

The brand new UHMW which is white is actually $50 cheaper than the black re-manufactured UHMW. They can get a sheet that is 1/2" thick and 60"x120" So now I can do the full skid in one solid piece. I plan to run it up the front some for a "bash plate"
The rock sliders are 58" wide. I think I'll leave the extra inch on there for some extra protection down the sides. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. Could be a terrible idea.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 62776

I do like the bends you did in the fender wells. How did you bend it?

Reactions: Rincon
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do like the bends you did in the fender wells. How did you bend it?

Heat, 1/4" plate in the vise and patience. I heated one side til it looked just a little glossy or wet and then heated the other side as I started to bend it. You'll probtpro need a slight over bend to get to the final position

IMG 20161230 205539256

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stumbled across a site called thomasnet.com
I used it to locate UHMW suppliers in my area.
Found a sheet of 4*8*1/2" for $329 plus tax. Curbell Plastics.
Definitely going to bookmark thomasnet.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddACimer
I found 1/2 4x10 sheet close to me and plan on following your design. How did you attach the side pieces to the under belly? I have ordered 20 of the stock washers to use. I'm also curious on your thoughts of making your own A arm guards? I should have enough material.
Thanks in advance.
Tim

Reactions: BWAF and ToddACimer
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddACimer
I found 1/2 4x10 sheet close to me and plan on following your design. How did you attach the side pieces to the under belly? I have ordered 20 of the stock washers to use. I'm also curious on your thoughts of making your own A arm guards? I should have enough material.
Thanks in advance.
Tim
My center panel is 30" wide so my side panels tuck above the center panel and bolt into the sides. I used m6 nutserts in the factory rock sliders and 4 bolts per side panel.

The a-arm guards are tough to form because you need to bend them to a specific angle and the 2 bends aren't perpendicular or parallel to one another. I really like the looks of the factory UTV guards and I didn't think I could do better for the $200 they cost. It's 8 more complex bends and lots of cuts

Odd coincidence but I was in Marysville, OH this week for work.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what it looked like. I may have to router a groove in mine since it's thicker. I won't be building it until 2 days before i head to the TO. I was guessing either nutzerts or just threading the tubing.
I will look at those guards. Thank you for the quick response.
I may have more questions once I'm building.

You were less than 30 miles from me.

Reactions: BWAF and ToddACimer
J

JTW

That's what it looked like. I may have to router a groove in mine since it's thicker. I won't be building it until 2 days before i head to the TO. I was guessing either nutzerts or just threading the tubing.
I will look at those guards. Thank you for the quick response.
I may have more questions once I'm building.

You were less than 30 miles from me.
I don’t like them.. but most of the aftermarket (if not all) use selftapping screws to mount the skids.

@ToddACimer did you counter sink your washers and bolts? That’s my plan this week as I’m building mine too before TO

Reactions: BWAF and Smitty335
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t like them.. but most of the aftermarket (if not all) use selftapping screws to mount the skids.

@ToddACimer did you counter sink your washers and bolts? That’s my plan this week as I’m building mine too before TO

I drilled my skid plate holes to 5/8" or 3/4" where the bolts go so the Honda washers self center and sit in the oversize hole. I did not specifically counter sink them but they sit in the skid plate

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finished my skid plate last night. Time to load up.

View attachment 72506 View attachment 72507
Nice work!! I have to say that design looks pretty familiar. I do suggest that you add some exhaust vent holes on the right side or you will probably melt that plastic rear muffler shield, your exhaust needs some ventilation to keep the muffler cool.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!