HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I should add that I don't need a skid plate for 99% of the riding I do here in Minnesota . Getting ready for the takeover in April.
I was in the same boat and took a chance on the $560 ModQuad eBay skid and it's held up great. I need to either do the nutserts or weld some in though as the self-tappers were all loose after I got back from riding in AL a couple weeks ago. I've beat the s*** out of it though on two trips... one to RRB and another to Stony Lonesome.

ModQuad (Open Trail) P1k skid

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about $400 into my DIY skid plate. The fit was pretty much perfect and the fabrication/ layout was pretty easy for me. I also didn't buy any new tools to complete the job. UHMW is really easy to work with. I'd do it again but I can't make them fast or precise enough to try making a few for fun or for a few bucks on the side.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was in the same boat and took a chance on the $560 ModQuad eBay skid and it's held up great. I need to either do the nutserts or weld some in though as the self-tappers were all loose after I got back from riding in AL a couple weeks ago. I've beat the s*** out of it though on two trips... one to RRB and another to Stony Lonesome.

ModQuad (Open Trail) P1k skid

How many pieces are the ModQuad ? Pictures and description hard to tell

Trail Armor $740 plus shipping
Factory UTV $695 plus shipping
ModQuad $560 free shipping

Oh what to buy ?

Reactions: JTW
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about $400 into my DIY skid plate. The fit was pretty much perfect and the fabrication/ layout was pretty easy for me. I also didn't buy any new tools to complete the job. UHMW is really easy to work with. I'd do it again but I can't make them fast or precise enough to try making a few for fun or for a few bucks on the side.

I will feel foolish not making my own but there are so many things to do and so little time .

Reactions: ToddACimer
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
How many pieces are the ModQuad ? Pictures and description hard to tell

Trail Armor $740 plus shipping
Factory UTV $695 plus shipping
ModQuad $560 free shipping

Oh what to buy ?
4 parts (Front, Left Side, Right Side, Rear) I'm cheap and don't need it for 75% of the riding I do so it was an easy decision. Link from my build thread (scroll down a bit):

Adam490's Short Bus ModQuad skidplate review

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I once thought having a good skid wasn't a big deal....I was wrong.

when people say they dont need a skid plate for x % of their riding, It's like saying I dont need a seat belt for x% of my driving. While that may be true, when the time comes, it needs to work well.

But if you're confident that time will never come then play at your own risk.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I once thought having a good skid wasn't a big deal....I was wrong.

when people say they dont need a skid plate for x % of their riding, It's like saying I dont need a seat belt for x% of my driving. While that may be true, when the time comes, it needs to work well.

But if you're confident that time will never come then play at your own risk.
I wish I could run a full skid all the time down here. I tried leaving it on (primarily because I was too lazy to get under there and take it off before we left) and with the gumbo mud and sand down here I ended up with a solid layer of mud/sand in there that was over the frame rails. Enough so that it was blocking the drain holes I drilled and they are 2". Stuff is nasty and pretty much turns to concrete. The holes I'd need to drill in order to get it to drain would pretty much make it useless anywhere else.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wish I could run a full skid all the time down here. I tried leaving it on (primarily because I was too lazy to get under there and take it off before we left) and with the gumbo mud and sand down here I ended up with a solid layer of mud/sand in there that was over the frame rails. Enough so that it was blocking the drain holes I drilled and they are 2". Stuff is nasty and pretty much turns to concrete. The holes I'd need to drill in order to get it to drain would pretty much make it useless anywhere else.
Yea that would suck. I get into that sometimes and have to take the seat off and spend an hour trying to get it all out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!