Dust exposure

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I wanted to share some information about dust. We talk about cab dust all of the time but never really think much about it. I don't really trail ride and have limited dust problems in the Everglades. I use sun glasses and a neck gaiter when in semi dusty conditions. My exposure is very low but look into the long term exposure studies. ( silica dust exposure )

This is really a big deal especially if you have kids. When you google the effects of trail riding in dusty conditions it will shock you.

Best of luck !

Rudy

Last edited:
R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This one article is a little aggressive but worth reading

Small Cut/Paste below:

In a new study, public health scientists raise concerns that people who use ORVs in many regions of the country may face exposure to hazardous mineral fibers. These include naturally occurring asbestos and erionite -- an asbestos-like material that occurs in sedimentary rocks of the western United States.

Most of the deposits are located along the Appalachian Mountains and ranges in the West and Southwest, especially California.

"ORVs have been designed to operate in rugged, unpaved terrain, and they can produce copious amounts of dust," says Chris Wolfe, MS, an epidemiologist at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center and lead author of the study. "During off-roading in these areas, asbestos and other mineral fibers can become airborne as a component of the dust generated by ORVs. This puts riders -- particularly children -- at risk of inhalation exposure, but the dust can also be blown to other areas and may pose a risk to others. We found that a substantial amount of ORV trails are located within 20 miles of a naturally occurring asbestos deposit."

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay wife thinks I'm nuts but this is how I would remedy extreme cabin dust during a low speed high dust environment. I always wear a neck gaiter but thinking of cutting this into my roof and creating a forced air system below the roof. it would pressurize the cabin with clean air (1730 CFM) in series with a 14" round air filter and aluminum top.

Yeah it sounds crazy but it may work. Imagine 1730 CFM of clean air blown in as needed.

Possible solution: Cut 12" hole in roof. Install 12" fan, install filter, cut out aluminum round piece to seal filter. It will absolutely introduce clean forced air into the cab.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay wife thinks I'm nuts but this is how I would remedy extreme cabin dust during a low speed high dust environment. I always wear a neck gaiter but thinking of cutting this into my roof and creating a forced air system below the roof. it would pressurize the cabin with clean air (1730 CFM) in series with a 14" round air filter and aluminum top.

Yeah it sounds crazy but it may work. Imagine 1730 CFM of clean air blown in as needed.

Possible solution: Cut 12" hole in roof. Install 12" fan, install filter, cut out aluminum round piece to seal filter. It will absolutely introduce clean forced air into the cab.

View attachment 357754
View attachment 357755
Go for it !and send pictures.Bring it out to southern Nevada,there’s plenty of dust out here,as well as the asbestos warnings.Mind u I worked as a mechanic for 26 years,and now I’m employed by a marble granite counter top company,seen plenty of both.I’m more concerned about r political direction.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 357754
View attachment 357755
Maybe staying home might be Safer for you?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Kids wear motocross helmets and they hate the goggles we have now.. trying to keep them interested to gain more grit to STFU and deal
Reece uses the kids wolfsnout. She's not complained. Never tried their goggles. I've got
Multiple wolfsnouts that the wife and older sons use when they go. My sons won't ride without 1.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reece uses the kids wolfsnout. She's not complained. Never tried there goggles. I've got
Multiple wolfsnouts that the wife and older sons use when they go. My sons won't ride without 1.
We have the wolfsnouts and there goggles. I didnt care for the goggles but the wife loves it

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone use these for kids or their goggles for dust?!? My kids deal but Xmas is coming up
Mr Sixteen+2 and I have been using them for several years. Ms November has worn one the few times that she has rode as well. They work great.

Never tried their goggles but I’ve used ONeal/Fox/Answer/100/and others and they’ve all been fine. The $50-ish ones are worth the extra over the $20-ish ones IMHO.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Eggs may be bad for you too. Only the study didn't isolate eggs from people who ate bacon, and buttered toast for breakfast every day for years. So if you compare oatmeal and plain nonfat yogurt to eggs bacon and butter every morning...yeah must have veen the eggs contributing to heart attacks.

My grandfather smoked for over 60 years. Back around when ge was 75 and still doing a pack and a half to two packs a day the doctor tested his lungs and said he was in excellent condition. Never had any lung problems. His wife however got emphysema and eventually died at a much younger age than him.

Dust is not good to breathe but the farmers I know tilled fields for years in no enclosed cab and would have dust literally rolling down their backs. Many are still alive and strong as an oxe. You could never breathe as much dust as these people have.

When you can minimize dust do it. Wearing a covering over your nose and mouth will drastically cut down on what you breathe in. If you are still petrified of dust then you could always sell your machine and take up skiing.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've had a Wolfsnout for yrs, worn it a few times. They work but are still a lot like wearing a mask, which sucks so I'd prefer to eat a good amount of dust before putting it on. I use motorcycle glasses that have a foam seal around them, they work for me. Wife wears contacts and would still get dust in her eyes so I got her some Bug Eyes goggles. Happy trails.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wolfsnout looks like a fantastic product. I'm going to order the dust mask/goggle combo.

Best of luck !

Rudy
If u are serious about dust,The Legimate off roaders use a pumper system, very similar to ur drawing.The difference is the filtered air is pumped to sealed helmet,thru tubes.I don’t have children,if I did I would go that way.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!