P500 Enclosed Trailer Build

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Built them out of ply and 2x2 framing. Took some searching to find a tool box small enough to fit. Had a local guy make the SS top from the plywood pattern, $170 not terrible. Wrapped the rest in thin aluminum diamond plate and then trimmed everything with 1" aluminum. Lots of SS screws and that 1" is expensive sh** when you add it up, not very economical.
Trailer pulls great, small and light, fits the P5 like it was made for it and pretty much has been now.
It does need a pin up girl doesn't it? :p

What is the next plan for the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What is the next plan for the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, it wasn't supposed to go any further than this but...thinking about cutting a tinted glass window into the door, maybe add a battery.

Been watching @CumminsPusher thread so it's not like that would be going too far. :cool:

Couple pics of it loaded up.

Trailer with P5
Trailer with P5 2

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reactions: BWAF and trigger
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lol, it wasn't supposed to go any further than this but...thinking about cutting a tinted glass window into the door, maybe add a battery.

Been watching @CumminsPusher thread so it's not like that would be going too far. :cool:

View attachment 81511 View attachment 81512
I like the fold up thingy imflopper.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 81511 View attachment 81512
I’ve been racking my head trying to figure out tie downs. We haven’t used any yet and no problems but I just know...lol.
Space is really limited so I think we’ll have to go with over tire straps like you did, I wish they had flush mount like that. Looking great Trigger! Don’t stop now just look at your machine, I know you have many ideas and aren’t done yet:)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just returned from first transport of P500 and Rancher in enclosed trailer together. Have six floor tiedowns rated at 6000lbs with metal plates underneath, but made for messy strap placement. Any pros or cons from running HD webbing/rachet straps thru P500 aftermarket both wheel spokes, one for front, one for back? Might eliminate compressing suspension. No issues with Rancher tiedown in front. Chock/tie down strap looks like decent option, but more labor to install. Thanks.

3C70CD4C B817 41E6 8EBA 73EA5AB0D61A 32EBD78F 8FEE 4F3D 944F 4BF91A20702E

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just returned from first transport of P500 and Rancher in enclosed trailer together. Have six floor tiedowns rated at 6000lbs with metal plates underneath, but made for messy strap placement. Any pros or cons from running HD webbing/rachet straps thru P500 aftermarket wheel spokes, one for front, one for back? Might eliminate compressing suspension. No issues with Rancher tiedown in front. Chock/tie down strap looks like decent option, but more labor to install. Thanks.

View attachment 81527 View attachment 81528
That can get sticky, as wide as possible and not to far back from tie on points, is what I would do.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve been racking my head trying to figure out tie downs. We haven’t used any yet and no problems but I just know...lol.
Space is really limited so I think we’ll have to go with over tire straps like you did, I wish they had flush mount like that. Looking great Trigger! Don’t stop now just look at your machine, I know you have many ideas and aren’t done yet:)

No where near as aggressive a build as you're doing but thanks CP. I honestly don't think mine would move much either not being strapped in but wouldn't want to go into a skid or something that way. The tire straps work great and really are the fastest and best at holding it down I think. Having the chocks permanently mounted kinda sucks though, I've tripped over them several times already. The cargo rings work good too and are recessed in the floor, just a little busier to tie down.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No where near as aggressive a build as you're doing but thanks CP. I honestly don't think mine would move much either not being strapped in but wouldn't want to go into a skid or something that way. The tire straps work great and really are the fastest and best at holding it down I think. Having the chocks permanently mounted kinda sucks though, I've tripped over them several times already. The cargo rings work good too and are recessed in the floor, just a little busier to tie down.
Really a clean build your doing you’re always so meticulous, I wish had caught your thread sooner I would’ve planned for a couple things differently.
Wife and I were talking about the what if’s without. Never used that style but we don’t have the room to do anything else like you say it gets too busy.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'll admit, it sure is nice to pull into a restaurant or motel and not have to worry about someone messing around with the machine. Don't need to worry about drowning it in a pouring rain either. Having a full toolbox and anything else needed while on the road or back at the trail head is an added bonus too.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
....The tire straps work great and really are the fastest and best at holding it down I think. Having the chocks permanently mounted kinda sucks though, I've tripped over them several times already. The cargo rings work good too and are recessed in the floor, just a little busier to tie down.

That's why I'm gonna stick to E-track in mine. Same outcome, without the chalks sticking up. I'm thinking I'll put two strips the length of the trailer. That way I can put the machine wherever I want.. depending on how much weight I have up front. If I have my ATV, my JD mower, or just the generator and a couple cans of gas, I can still put the Pioneer at the right balance point..

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll admit, it sure is nice to pull into a restaurant or motel and not have to worry about someone messing around with the machine. Don't need to worry about drowning it in a pouring rain either. Having a full toolbox and anything else needed while on the road or back at the trail head is an added bonus too.
Bingo. That is exactly why I went to enclosed. The other possibility is an issue with the trailer.. fry a bearing? Have to leave it along side the highway while you go chase parts? You won't come back with all your stuff stolen off your ride..

Below is a pic of my Yamaha when I was packing it for my Magruder ride, and my previous trailer (12 years). I always worried about leaving that thing anywhere unattended.
I will admit though... it was FAR easier to whip that little trailer around than it is my 20 footer.

IMG 1069 2 6

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking it may be better to kit out a cargo trailer instead of buying an expensive toy hauler and also just keep my slide in truck camper. Moving soon to Idaho and a cargo trailer would be better than my current open trailer for hauling my stuff across America.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking it may be better to kit out a cargo trailer instead of buying an expensive toy hauler and also just keep my slide in truck camper. Moving soon to Idaho and a cargo trailer would be better than my current open trailer for hauling my stuff across America.
You find some property ?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
There are some "tiny toy haulers" out there. Not many, but some.

The little Wolf Pup 17RP can be found for about $12-13k if you are willing to drive to get it.

The P500 fits in it like Forest River was building a P500 Hauler!

Obviously you can build your own rig cheaper and I've seen some wicked cool rigs built by the inmates here. But if you just want to plug and play, this thing is well equipped for the bucks.

I originally bought it for motorcycles. The day I picked it up in Missouri, it dawned on me when I rolled my KTM 500exc up in it, that my dirt bike costs just $500 less than the toy hauler. :)

Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Forest River RV
Fc862e378b6706ec5c5daba6659468c0

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!