P1000 Exhaust leak!

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Need some help here....

Took my 1000-5 out the other day to take a friend for a ride. When the rig warms up to running temps and i come to a stop it sounds like i have a exhaust leak coming from the rear somewhere. Sounds like a hissing noise or the noise a air hose makes when its leaking.

Could figure it out. Took it to honda(where it is now). Honda's sayin they have checked multiple things with no luck

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Maybe this is normal. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks chris

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a similar sound. It sounds like it's coming from the oil filter area inside the engine.

I've heard some other people say they've heard something similar.

Is that the same area you heard it?

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I have a similar sound. It sounds like it's coming from the oil filter area inside the engine.

I've heard some other people say they've heard something similar.

Is that the same area you heard it?

Its hard for me to narrow it down. Are you hearing the noise while riding to or like me just when you come to a stop? It only last like a short amount of time as soon as i come to stop i hear it. If i leave it idling for a few (say 20-30 sec). It will go away

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I only hear it while idling. I'll check and see if it goes away after 30 seconds but I don't think so.

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I only hear it while idling. I'll check and see if it goes away after 30 seconds but I don't think so.

I only hear it at idle aswell. Man its annoying. Any idea what it could be?

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I only hear it at idle aswell. Man its annoying. Any idea what it could be?
I have something that sounds like a ticking noise...kinda like an exhaust leak. Started after my first oil change. Only starts after it is warmed up and when idling. It goes away if I push on the rear exhaust cover. Sounds like it is coming from oil filter area. Here is a link to a video to hear the noise.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My sound is the same as that video. It will go away immediately if I press the accelerator. It also started after I changed the oil the first time.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I have something that sounds like a ticking noise...kinda like an exhaust leak. Started after my first oil change. Only starts after it is warmed up and when idling. It goes away if I push on the rear exhaust cover. Sounds like it is coming from oil filter area. Here is a link to a video to hear the noise.

Cant quite make out the noise on my crappy cell phone but the info is the exact same. Only does it at idle and when it gets warmed up. after my first oil change too... Where am I looking at for the oil filter area?

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
My sound is the same as that video. It will go away immediately if I press the accelerator. It also started after I changed the oil the first time.
Sounds like same issue....I contacted my dealer and spoke with the service guy. He didn't sound concerned and said it could be heat shield loose but I have checked everything. I sent him a video and he said not to worry about it. I have extended warranty so not worried about it but it is annoying to listen to. Also, somewhat strange how it started after the first oil change. They said they did not check/adjust valves because the service manual only recommends that if the engine is noisy so wondering if it is the valves...

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Sounds like same issue....I contacted my dealer and spoke with the service guy. He didn't sound concerned and said it could be heat shield loose but I have checked everything. I sent him a video and he said not to worry about it. I have extended warranty so not worried about it but it is annoying to listen to. Also, somewhat strange how it started after the first oil change. They said they did not check/adjust valves because the service manual only recommends that if the engine is noisy so wondering if it is the valves...

I ask them about the valves. There immediate answer was no thats not it. Mine sounds more like a air compressor as the honda guy said. Only while idling after I get it hot. Come to a stop. There it is. But........will only last what seems like 20-30 seconds. Only way I can explain it is the amount of time it takes something/whatever it is to cool back down a little

advertisement
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
mine also makes the same noise

Took it into the shop as I said. They called and said they found 2 codes in the computer. Low voltage to the shifter and low voltage to something else that I can't remember. They said they reset the codes. Then they told me they ran a bunch of test that the techs on the hot line told them to and came up with nothing. Said the machine was running perfect and my local honda said they couldn't get the noise to repeat what I had showed them in the parking lot. Took it out twice since then. It's back to running great so far. I have no clue what it was.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Anyone know if I can remove the spark arrestor by taking off the tip of the exhaust? After the exhaust heats up I can turn off the machine and hit the muffler and it makes a rattling sound inside the muffler. Was going to see if this was the spark arrestor inside making the noise.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Anyone know if I can remove the spark arrestor by taking off the tip of the exhaust? After the exhaust heats up I can turn off the machine and hit the muffler and it makes a rattling sound inside the muffler. Was going to see if this was the spark arrestor inside making the noise.[/QUOTEyes spark arrestor is the 3 bolts at tail pipe please let us know what u find? I just changed my oil so Ill see if it starts making noise also.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Anyone know if I can remove the spark arrestor by taking off the tip of the exhaust? After the exhaust heats up I can turn off the machine and hit the muffler and it makes a rattling sound inside the muffler. Was going to see if this was the spark arrestor inside making the noise.

Page 174-175 in the owner's manual shows the steps for removing and cleaning the spark arrestor.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
can we toss the spark arrestor and gain a little power?

advertisement