Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Seems to me that that would make it much better in 4 wheel drive if you could lock the diffs than the Chevrolet would be??
Yes depending on your situation. The platinum witch @sharp and I have, if your in 4 low it’s in lock and I think standard. Not on xlt’s or lariat. King ranch I believe it was an option, for the rear there’s a knob on the dash. I sometimes use the rear lock when plowing depending on the situation. I’ve only used the 4low once and I didn’t think it was necessary then, I was plowing very heavy snow on my 2 track to get to the cabin. There’s a Video somewhere my cousin was taking at the time and u can clearly see both tires enguaging in 4 low certainty not in 4 high.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes depending on your situation. The platinum witch @sharp and I have, if your in 4 low it’s in lock and I think standard. Not on xlt’s or lariat. King ranch I believe it was an option, for the rear there’s a knob on the dash. I sometimes use the rear lock when plowing depending on the situation. I’ve only used the 4low once and I didn’t think it was necessary then, I was plowing very heavy snow on my 2 track to get to the cabin. There’s a Video somewhere my cousin was taking at the time and u can clearly see both tires enguaging in 4 low certainty not in 4 high.
Yes. Even though It doesn't say FX4 offroad on the side of the platinum it still has the offroad package, extra under carriage protection and all.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can't lock the front diffs. From factory
Need aftermarket or a powerwagon or jeep Rubicon to lock the front on straight from the factory.

Not to give Chevy credit in any way but my 2014 Z71 locked the front and rear in 4Low the rest of the time the rear was a Posi type and front was open.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can't lock the front diffs. From factory
Need aftermarket or a powerwagon or jeep Rubicon to lock the front on straight from the factory.
Not true. My 15 has locking front and rear. I am impressed how many places it will go with just the rear locked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not true. My 15 has locking front and rear. I am impressed how many places it will go with just the rear locked.

You do not have a locking front diff from the factory. You have lock out hubs the lock is for the transfer case. And your hubs you can manually disengage them from the axle for better milage. You do have a locking rear when you pull the 4wd button out.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok, just returned from the dealership. The four wheel drive selector knob gets turned for 4high and 4low, but pulled out to lock the rear diff in 2high, which if left pulled out will remain locked when selecting 4 hi/lo. They said it can run the streets in diff lock 2high. 2018 model Lariat. My friend has a 2016 and said no diff lock, and 12-13 best he gets mpg hwy. Doge Laramie says 27 hwy and 20 City! Can there be that much disparity between the two??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

How you locking the front? I was just at the dealer, 2018 doesn’t have locking front diff!!??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Btw, I’m looking at F-250’s not 150 if that makes any difference.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You do not have a locking front diff from the factory. You have lock out hubs the lock is for the transfer case. And your hubs you can manually disengage them from the axle for better milage. You do have a locking rear when you pull the 4wd button out.
But when I put it in 4 lo all 4 wheels are spinning.... you're saying it doesn't necessarily lock?...

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But when I put it in 4 lo all 4 wheels are spinning.... you're saying it doesn't necessarily lock?...

Correct. If you put in 4wd and lock the rear in the Ford is essentially 3wd. Open front diff.

Reactions: elkguide
advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm not aware of any stock front locker in any new vehicle except for the special edition Jeeps and maybe the powerwagon @Plumber32 mentioned. The Raptor has an option for a Torsen front diff. Even with the open diff, both tires will pull if traction or wheel speed are close to the same.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Correct. If you put in 4wd and lock the rear in the Ford is essentially 3wd. Open front diff.
But your not explaining that when we lock it Into 4lo, why do the front wheels spen together? 4 hi does not but 4 lo yes. @Montecresto , I don’t believe what a dealer says. They could find the arce hole with both hands most of the time. My friend that works in the glass building, that’s a ford headquarters in Dearborn for those of you in Reo Linda lol, says it does lock in 4lo NOT 4hi and that has nothing to do with the rear lock on the dash being engauged or not, that’s totally separate. So I’m gona believe the designer over a dealer IMO

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It’s similar to the Torsen he says. But not a FULL locker, cuz it would have to be engaged in 4 hi as well. But I’ll tell you, In 4 lo she digs with both like she’s going to China :D

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Chevy Ford

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Of course, it was probably carrying the Ford.

Reactions: trigger
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no personal knowledge about the Ford, i.e. regarding a locked front/rear axles BUT jack it up and leave one tire with traction ...... you will find out the truth. And I agree about dealers, most the time the salesman knows less about the vehicle than a knowledgeable customer.

Reactions: sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But your not explaining that when we lock it Into 4lo, why do the front wheels spen together? 4 hi does not but 4 lo yes. @Montecresto , I don’t believe what a dealer says. They could find the arce hole with both hands most of the time. My friend that works in the glass building, that’s a ford headquarters in Dearborn for those of you in Reo Linda lol, says it does lock in 4lo NOT 4hi and that has nothing to do with the rear lock on the dash being engauged or not, that’s totally separate. So I’m gona believe the designer over a dealer IMO
So are you saying the rear diff lock is only in 4 low????

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!