P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Strange that won't redline in low range.In sixth.
Exactly I was like WTF BBQ I thought I had a mouse nest in my intake tube, didn't I checked everything out.

To quote another member word of the year, "That superwankeydyne transmission" and computer isn't liking some reading it is getting with that tire combo I ran.

Reactions: PioneerPete
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Exactly I was like WTF BBQ I thought I had a mouse nest in my intake tube, didn't I checked everything out.

To quote another member word of the year, "That superwankeydyne transmission" and computer isn't liking some reading it is getting with that tire combo I ran.
You'll be going way faster than spedo says so must have some effect on computer.Hopefully someone comes up with programmer soon.lol.Mabye there is some other issue I hope it's just yours that causes this issue.Hate to say that lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For visual comparison OEM 27" tires on P1K and 26" Roctane XD on P500 to right, the P500 tires are same or a hair taller.
20160102 154829

20160102 154808

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Could top speed in low 6th gear and high 6th gear be limited. You reach that top speed with big tires before you reach redline and spedo doesn't show you goin that fast and things get wonky.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Could top speed in low 6th gear and high 6th gear be limited. You reach that top speed with big tires before you reach redline and things get wonky.
No I don't think so, The measured difference from OEM tire to the 30" Roctanes is 16.5% larger, so at the speedo reading of 51 mph the corrected speed would be 59.4 mph. Maybe that's all it will pull those heavy tires and I could understand if it felt maxed out but the engine will surge just like you put you hand over the intake and cut off the air or in this case I suspect the computer cuts off the fuel.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In any case ran it nearly 100 miles in the Smokey Mountain trail of Royal Blue with the OEM tires and everything performed flawless. I still cannot get over how well it rides and absorbs the bumps and higher trail speeds, I would dare call it plush compared to the Pioneers that came before it. I am 100% happy with the machine just have to figure out the right combo on tires that doesn't kill the top end speed. I don't really need bigger tires but I definitely want tougher tires than the Bighorns even though they performed just fine from 8" snow & slush to mud well over a foot deep cut out by la logging operations.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Take that windshield off it will get to top speed.lol Glad you still like it.i haven't gotten mine yet local dealer doesn't have one right now but I'm thinking April mabye sooner.

Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would say speedometer will be way off.

Speedo is definitely off. This morning ran with GPS to measure top end. Running north-south with a 5-10kt N wind made two passes. SB run 61.3 and 61 mph and NB runs 59.4 and 58.8 mph. Speedo was 3-5 mph off. I realize this is a rough estimate of speedo discrepancy but 60 mph driving solo and holding and reading a GPS was ...well, a pretty full workload. Just giving some numbers for the engineers out there to chew on.
I'm satisfied regardless

Reactions: pct
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speedo is definitely off. This morning ran with GPS to measure top end. Running north-south with a 5-10kt N wind made two passes. SB run 61.3 and 61 mph and NB runs 59.4 and 58.8 mph. Speedo was 3-5 mph off. I realize this is a rough estimate of speedo discrepancy but 60 mph driving solo and holding and reading a GPS was ...well, a pretty full workload. Just giving some numbers for the engineers out there to chew on.
I'm satisfied regardless

This makes me strongly believe the speedo is inaccurate from the factory on stock tires.

advertisement
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I'm satisfied regardless
Big question is did you experience and kind of issues at wot tapped out in six gear with cutting out?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think it will be OK got some good contacts with RMATV (where I got them) I believe they are going to swap me out with what I need no problems. Dropping to 28x10x14's they are only 2 lbs. heavier (37 lbs. ea.) than OEM rear tires and a full 2.7" taller at 28.3". This will solve my rubbing issue without spending $500 on forward A-arms.

Everything is working out RMATV is taking the mounted tire and wheel set back, sent me shipping labels and all and replacing them with 28x10x14 Roctane XD tires on STI HD3 rims with 6+1" offset and refunding me the difference in the tires sizes. I knew I loved them for a reason, first time I ever had to return anything let alone a nearly 160 lbs. set of 4 tires and wheels.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Company's like that are priceless!! I will definitely use them for future purchases!

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Could I get away with using my 28" Mega Mahem's off of my rancher 420?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Could I get away with using my 28" Mega Mahem's off of my rancher 420?

@jguillot Welcome to the club! I could not find the exact tire specs on the ITP website but, If you are running the 28x9 on the front and the 28x11 on the rear most definitely. Just to be safe I would recommend getting the Strong Made 2" lift it cost $162 I have several photos of it including install earlier in this thread. The 28x9 on front may only rub if taking a hard hit compressing the suspension considerably. Anything wider than 9" on OEM rims probably need the lift kit.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
@Jackel Thanks bud, I have 9" all the way around. I forgot the wheels are wider in the rear. Is it true the lift voids certain warranty?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Jackel Thanks bud, I have 9" all the way around. I forgot the wheels are wider in the rear. Is it true the lift voids certain warranty?
Well I'm sure the dealer will have to tell you yes but the way the strong made mounts at the bottom I do not see what could fail and it only take an hour to put on or take off. Realistically unless the warranty involved the A-arms and or shocks it should not be a factor in the repair.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you have a pioneer 1000-5 I would almost guarantee the 9" wide tire is NOT heavy enough for the rear, I may be wrong but going from a 500 lbs. rancher 420 with 28HP to a 1700 lbs. SXS with 72 HP would be on the outer limits of reliability, I would hate for you to roll a rear tire off and tear up the machine or yourself. Be sure each tire has a load capacity rating of at least 800 lbs. each, if they do you should be good total GVWR of a P1K5D is 3350 lbs.

Reactions: lee and joeymt33
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Wheels will get banged up too running a narrow tire in ruts or whatever.I don't even like 9 inch on front.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!