P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

Bwaller872

Bwaller872

Feb 6, 2016
Georgia
I just bought a new p1000 last weekend and have a set of outlaw 2s laying around the shop. Will they fit a stock p1000 or do I need a lift kit?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just bought a new p1000 last weekend and have a set of outlaw 2s laying around the shop. Will they fit a stock p1000 or do I need a lift kit?
What size are they?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
29.5 I should have put that on there the first time
I am not sure they will clear even with a lift. The 27" Bighorn tires Honda has on the Pioneer 1000 are only 25.5" tall with 14 psi in them. I have the strong made 2" lift and the 28.4" Roctane tires I will be using will barely clear under all conditions.

Bwaller872

Bwaller872

Feb 6, 2016
Georgia
I am not sure they will clear even with a lift. The 27" Bighorn tires Honda has on the Pioneer 1000 are only 25.5" tall with 14 psi in them. I have the strong made 2" lift and the 28.4" Roctane tires I will be using will barely clear under all conditions.
ok thanks for your help

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
29.5 I should have put that on there the first time
When I was at my dealer first getting prices on the Pioneers the guy I was talking to said one of the first ones he sold came back in for its first service and the guy had put 29.5 OL2s on it and didn't say anything about rubbing, he did say the machine turned them really good in some sticky mud

Reactions: Bwaller872
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am just giving my honest experience with the larger tires even with the lift there are conditions where they rub and a quick spin around the driveway or lot doesn't reveal that. When turning sharp to the left and having the suspension compress with bumps, off camber, etc. the tires hit noticeably. Also at 40 mph plus they rub with even modest bumps in a straight line. So when asked about my opinion I will err on the side of caution since it is not my money they will be spending. If a person can make it work to thier satisfaction thats great, but for me if a tire doesn't clear under all conditions it doesn't fit properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: tatemcc and amc019
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just giving my honest experience with the larger tires even with the lift there are conditions where they rub and a quick spin around the driveway or lot doesn't reveal that. When turning sharp to the left and having the suspension compress with bumps, off camber, etc. the tires hit noticeably. Also at 40 mph plus they rub with ecen modest bumps in a straight line. So when asked about my opinion I will err on the side of caution since it is my money they will be spending. If a person can make it work to thier satisfaction thats great, but for me if a tire doesn't clear under all conditions it doesn't fit properly.

I'll second this. Jackal tried to warn me about 30's not fitting with the strongmade, but I figured I could make it work. I was wrong, I haven't hardly drove mine since because I have to have forward a-arms before I can justify taking it trail riding. Some say that 30's fit, but I can assure you those people haven't measured the actual height of their tires. Mine are exactly 30.0," most run up to an inch smaller.

Reactions: JACKAL
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I'll second this. Jackal tried to warn me about 30's not fitting with the strongmade, but I figured I could make it work. I was wrong, I haven't hardly drove mine since because I have to have forward a-arms before I can justify taking it trail riding. Some say that 30's fit, but I can assure you those people haven't measured the actual height of their tires. Mine are exactly 30.0," most run up to an inch smaller.
I think you are exactly right. Mabye the hilifter would give the clearance a guy needs.Then get forward arched arms from them when they come out if still a bit of an issue or drop down to 29.5.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think you are exactly right. Mabye the hilifter would give the clearance a guy needs.Then get forward arched arms from them when they come out if still a bit of an issue or drop down to 29.5.

All you need is the forward A-arms any lift is OK, but the A-arms if worth their $$$ will have 2-3" lift built in by relocating the lower tabs. You can check out @joeymt33 thread on his CATVOS install it gave him the clearance he needed to run the exact same tires I couldn't. But with those bigger heavier tires he lost 7MPH off top end (GPS corrected speed top out @ 59 mph vs. 66 OEM).

I may try Off Road Beast forward A-arms they do not have them listed on website yet but should be ready anytime. Just pondering if I really want to go that route as I am tickled pink with the ride and handling as is not to mention even the ground clearance is very good.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Well I'm close to getting my Honda just can't decide if go with some 28 inch tires or bite the bullet and get the a arms ordered up. I would probably just get the fronts if that's what hilifter offers with their bracket lift. I'd like to run 30s but I know better too.

Reactions: Welshman
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Well I'm close to getting my Honda just can't decide if go with some 28 inch tires or bite the bullet and get the a arms ordered up. I would probably just get the fronts if that's what hilifter offers with their bracket lift. I'd like to run 30s but I know better too.
I always like to ride my new machines stock for a couple months to see how I like the ride. Then I can better get an idea of the parts I need to focus on. Just an opinion

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well my 28x10x14 Roctanes arrived a few days ago just got a chance to mount them up and give it a test spin. I experienced none of the issues I did with the 30" Roctanes and collectively the 28" size is 44 pounds less to rotate so that probably has a considerable amount to do with my prior concerns and observations. With the 30's the P1000 would not go over 50 mph in H range and seemed to cut out as if hitting a rev limiter, did the same at 30 mph in L range. With these 28" it tops out at 60MPH by the Honda digital speedo and 62.3 mph by GPS cruising smooth at can be, in L it hits 34 MPH / 35 MPH GPS reading and cuts out just like it does with OEM tires (factory electronic limited).

It isn't cleaned up for show n shine, been busy changing out all the fluids for initial service.

28x10 Roctanes vs OEM
P1K with 28x10 Rotctane Side view
P1K with 28x10 Rotctane Front view
P1K with 28x10 Rotctane Rear view

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jackal did you notice any changes in camber after you installed your lift? I've seen some folks running 28x9 on the front and no lift with no issues... I wonder if the 28x10 would run with no lift without rubbing...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Jackal did you notice any changes in camber after you installed your lift? I've seen some folks running 28x9 on the front and no lift with no issues... I wonder if the 28x10 would run with no lift without rubbing...

No these 28" will not fit / clear properly without a lift they are a touch bigger than 28" and will grow a bit with riding to nearly 29" when heated up. I did not notice any camber changes with my strong made lift, everything looks squared away. Here is pics with OEM tires, then 30 " tires and finally 28" tires all with that lift from the front/rear, Notice the tire/wheels all look perfectly vertical. Can't say so much for my photography skills.

OEM Tires with Lift
OEM Tires with SM Lift
OEM Tires Rear with SM Lift

30" Roctanes with Strong Made Lift Front / Rear:
30Roctane with SM Lift Front
30Roctane with SM Lift Rear

And current setup 28: Roctanes with Strong Made Lift Front / Rear:

28 Roctane with SM Lift Front
28 Roctane with SM Lift Rear

Reactions: pct and PioneerPete
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Well my Battery Isolator came in along with my remaining switches and 139db air horn :eek:

Got everything under hood wired up and set like I wanted. Ran out of time to run wire to lights and switches thanks to honey do jobs. amazing when you are off the things they can dream up for you to do like I don't have MY priorities :confused:

So here is the before and after of under to hood:
View attachment 8517
View attachment 8518
I have been going back and forth back and forth back and forth through your build pics and I can't for the life of me figure out what the heat-gun mod was to the air intake for the fuse controller. Please clarify if possible. One other thing, the battery Iso, it seems like a whole lot more wiring showed up after that. Sorry for being inept about it, just trying to figure it out before I get started with choosing a full 2 battery system. Thank you for all the remarkable detail so far.

Reactions: dotman1
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have been going back and forth back and forth back and forth through your build pics and I can't for the life of me figure out what the heat-gun mod was to the air intake for the fuse controller. Please clarify if possible. One other thing, the battery Iso, it seems like a whole lot more wiring showed up after that. Sorry for being inept about it, just trying to figure it out before I get started with choosing a full 2 battery system. Thank you for all the remarkable detail so far.
With the mod on the air intake pre filter cover, I mounted a cooper busman power distribution module in there. I go into it and the wiring considerable in posts 30 through 42 or so, Maybe you skipped past it as the post you quoted is around number 45 but I showed pictures step by step cutting and fitting the PDM into the pre-filter cover and stuffing the module in there. A heat gun wasn't used, just a dremel tool. That's where all the wires came from.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
With the mod on the air intake pre filter cover, I mounted a cooper busman power distribution module in there. I go into it and the wiring considerable in posts 30 through 42 or so, Maybe you haven't read that far but I even showed pictures cutting out the pre-filter cover and stuffing the module in there. A heat gun wasn't used, just a dremel tool.
I have read many of your posts in detail. I am currently very interested in your dual battery/accessory switch install. That's how I came upon the discrepancy in the pics. The first set was very clear (and smart) but when you get to the later pics (where you mention the heat gun) power controller sits differently and the cover appears melted at the edges. I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned the heat gun with that pic. Just trying to clarify because I really admire the installation and I'm eager to replicate it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have read many of your posts in detail. I am currently very interested in your dual battery/accessory switch install. That's how I came upon the discrepancy in the pics. The first set was very clear (and smart) but when you get to the later pics (where you mention the heat gun) power controller sits differently and the cover appears melted at the edges. I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned the heat gun with that pic. Just trying to clarify because I really admire the installation and I'm eager to replicate it.

Ok I understand now it wasn't until after I got everything wired up I went to put the hood back on only to realize the cover for the PDM stuck up a half inch too high on the front outer corner so I cut a wedge shaped slice out folding the top flap down at an angle I had some black gorilla tape I used to hold everything in place while the edge was hot. It sealed up so well i never took the tape off.

The pre filter cover is only $7 so I bought another one I am thinking of relocating the PDM and battery isolator further back to the top of the Odyssey battery. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. It works the way i did it but makes it a PITA to pop off that cover with 20 wires attached to it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!