P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks!

One more question, can you send a photo from under the hood showing the double battery setup you mention in your garage? I think thats a good idea, especially with several electrical accessories, winch, etc. I'd like to have a look at the layout for reference, if i may.

That's a sweet ride, evolving into a one hellava Honda. I have to say, I really like the big hoops and lift!! Aarrrrr..

See posts #42 & #55 in this thread for detailed pictures already posted relative to your request.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ummmm, I appreciate the update very much. I guess 28-29" tires are in my future. Given I want the roctanes it would have to be 28's.

Do you think the 28" roctanes will fit with no lift?
Yes especially with 5+2 offset wheels.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jackal, I have noted that you and other experience Honda Pioneer guys here, when wiring lighted switches, power the switch lights with light-on power and the switch itself with key-on power. I understand that switch light is really only needed at night and when the switch is in the ON position switch lights up, but I was thinking about powering my switch lighting with key-on power and having the switches lit up any time my key is turned on. Seems like all the old pro's do it your way. Is it personal preference or am I thinking weird? Maybe an unimportant question, but I'm about to start building my jumpers.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jackal, I have noted that you and other experience Honda Pioneer guys here, when wiring lighted switches, power the switch lights with light-on power and the switch itself with key-on power. I understand that switch light is really only needed at night and when the switch is in the ON position switch lights up, but I was thinking about powering my switch lighting with key-on power and having the switches lit up any time my key is turned on. Seems like all the old pro's do it your way. Is it personal preference or am I thinking weird? Maybe an unimportant question, but I'm about to start building my jumpers.
Good question Ned. I am at the same stage in my wiring and had the same observation. I figured it was so that the switches would illuminate at night for visibility and not illuminate in the day so as not to waster power.
I will probably wire my switch lights for light-on power, and have the switched accessories be straight off the PDM and Aux battery. I tend to want to use some of my accessories at times when I don't want to have the switch on.
I'm guessing this is what I like to call a "PPO" (Personal Preference or Opinion), but would also like to hear Jackals response.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'll know the answer. It's "PPO", lol.
Some users like the colors. Others, like myself, only care for them in the dark so we can see it. The switches can be wired however you like. Key On or Lights On. Top on, bottom on, all on, or even add a light sensor for auto control like many autos.
Trick is just wiring it up correctly with the right switch configuration of lights being independent or dependent.

Reactions: PioneerPete
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Since the switches show white during the daytime there is no need to light them unless you just want to and that's fine really a matter of personal preference. I guess long term thinking is led life in switch and lights up consistent with all other dash light items when lights come on. Really no big deal either way you choose to do it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Got a UPS notice my Strong Made front bumper is arriving tomorrow for the P1K5D. About 2 weeks sooner than promised. Will post pictures of installation and thoughts on winch high on bumper or low in OEM location for use.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

That is a thing of beauty! You've pretty much nailed everything so far. I absolutely love the ground clearance with that setup.

Here is a request: Can you please post some good video of you rock crawling or climbing some technical stuff (to show off your tires and ground clearance). I have not seen any good videos of the P1000 out yet (that aren't go pro) where it shows the unit going over some technical stuff.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
OK had a big ole box sitting against the door happened to be the Strong Made BG-55W Winch Series front bumper. First thing I noticed was how heavy the main center piece was, no winch will tweak it will easily shear the bolts off first either going into the winch or the OEM bumper mount location where the four long 8mm bolts mount the top of the front bumper.

Quickly realized keeping my winch low on the KFI mount in the OEM position like I intended was a no go as the Strong Made main bracket bolt into the holes where the fairlead was and covered up 75% of the hole. So had to take that apart first. and put it back to stock before mounting anything.

So here we go all you need to mount the bumper is a 1/2" wrench and socket, that's it. Only takes 20 minutes not including adding a winch.

First put the main bracket in place slip the 2 U bolts around the OEM bumper tube and up through the main bracket, then use the 2 stainless 5/16' bolts going into the lower bracket holes through the OEM fairlead holes.

Hardware included:
20160119 180909

OEM clean start /
20160119 180926

Attaching main bracket loose / All tightened up
20160119 181336 20160119 181350 20160119 182054

Bumper on without winch
20160119 184044 20160119 184103

Winch mounted, uh oh its snowing gotta play :p
20160119 184126 20160119 195148 20160119 195248

Back in the shed for now...

20160119 194932 20160119 195545

Overall I like the bumper and how it looks, it does mount right over the top of the OEM bumper, and is quick to install.

PROS:
Allows you to mount the winch up high in an easy to reach location, out of most mud hole situations much better than OEM.
Provides additional protection of the radiator and front headlight / plastic if bush whacking sapling is your thing this can be used to trail blaze.
Easy Install
Heavy Duty

CONS:
Eliminates the ability to use OEM winch location
Bolts over the OEM bumper instead of to the frame direct - for a bumper that can hold a 5K winch I expect that.
Heavy - 50-52 pounds
Adds 4" to the overall length if you are counting inches in a toy hauler or trailer.

Final Thoughts
I bought it because of how impressed I was with the bumper they made for the P500, it will certainly be able to take a beating but would have preferred its own main section mounted to the frame top and bottom without relying on the strength of OEM bumper to hold the winch pulling from above the top mounting holes by 6". I do like the style, it matches the lines of the front end nicely and am not disappointed in it for looks or strength. Its a keeper and will stay unless I rip my OEM bumper off using the winch from the top location. Time will tell :cool: 20160119 194943 20160119 195135 20160119 195235

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like how yours looks better than my emp on my 700. Yours is more burly. But the emp replaces all the OEM mounts. May be stronger time will tell but I love what you've done with the 1000 looks perfect

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK had a big ole box sitting against the door happened to be the Strong Made BG-55W Winch Series front bumper. First thing I notices was how heavy the main center piece was, no winch will tweak it will easily shear the bolts off first either going into the winch or the OEM bumper mount location where the four long 8mm bolts mount the top of the front bumper.

Quickly realized keeping my winch low on the KFI mount in the OEM position like I intended was a no go as the strong made main bracket bolt into the holes where the fairlead was and covered up 75% of the hole. So had to take that apart first. and put it back to stock before mounting anything.

So here we go all you need to mount the bumper is a 1/2" wrench and socket, that's it. Only takes 20 minutes not including adding a winch.

First put the main bracket in place slip the 2 U bolts around the OEM bumper tube and up through the main bracket, then use the 2 stainless 5/15 bolts going into the lower bracket holes through the OEM fairlead holes.

Hardware included:
View attachment 9344

OEM clean start /
View attachment 9345

Attaching main bracket loose / All tightened up
View attachment 9346 View attachment 9347 View attachment 9348

Bumper on without winch
View attachment 9349 View attachment 9350

Winch mounted, uh oh its snowing gotta play :p
View attachment 9351 View attachment 9355 View attachment 9357

Back in the shed for now...

View attachment 9352 View attachment 9358

Overall I like the bumper and how it looks, it does mount right over the top of the OEM bumper, and is quick to install.

PROS:
Allows you to mount the winch up high in an easy to reach location, out of most mud hole situations much better than OEM.
Provides additional protection of the radiator and front headlight / plastic if bush whacking sapling is your thing this can be used to trail blaze.
Easy Install
Heavy Duty

CONS:
Eliminates the ability to use OEM winch location
Bolts over the OEM bumper instead of to the frame direct - for a bumper that can hold a 5K winch I expect that.
Heavy - 50-52 pounds
Adds 4" to the overall length if you are counting inches in a toy hauler or trailer.

Final Thoughts
I bought it because of how impressed I was with the bumper they made for the P500, it will certainly be able to take a beating but would have preferred its own main section mounted to the frame top and bottom without relying on the strength of OEM bumper to hold the winch pulling from above the top mounting holes by 6". I do like the style, it matches the lines of the front end nicely and am not disappointed in it for looks or strength. Its a keeper and will stay unless I rip my OEM bumper off using the winch from the top location. Time will tell :cool: View attachment 9353 View attachment 9354 View attachment 9356
Looks good! I also wondered about the strength given the attachment to the stock bumper, but you couldn't ask for a quicker/easier install!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looks great @JACKAL. I'm thinking it's fine for winching. Maybe it could be tweaked if the winch is doubled and you just about stall out the winch, but that's 9000lb pull so it probably won't ever be needed. I think they've done their homework and know it will take the abuse.

I've got a spare OEM bumper if you ever damage that one anyway.

Joshmo1017

Joshmo1017

Jan 17, 2016
Brandon, MS
I am new to the forum as a member but not to Honda. This is my first post. I have followed this build from day one and have a long list of items on my "I'm going to do list" thanks to this build. All I can say is thanks to everyone that is sharing the journey of the new 1000!!! I purchase a red deluxe edition a month ago after selling my 2013 "big red" and absolutely love my purchase. Thanks again guys for sharing all of this valuable information. :)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am new to the forum as a member but not to Honda. This is my first post. I have followed this build from day one and have a long list of items on my "I'm going to do list" thanks to this build. All I can say is thanks to everyone that is sharing the journey of the new 1000!!! I purchase a red deluxe edition a month ago after selling my 2013 "big red" and absolutely love my purchase. Thanks again guys for sharing all of this valuable information. :)

@Joshmo1017 Welcome to the club, glad you enjoyed my build. Feel free to share some photos with us of your ride and adventures out on the trails.

Reactions: Joshmo1017
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just went through all 9 pages of your build and think it is totally awesome!! Very clean install on everything. Kudos man

Reactions: pct and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just went through all 9 pages of your build and think it is totally awesome!! Very clean install on everything. Kudos man
Thanks bud.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Awesome!
Snow pictures seem to bring out the beauty in these machines.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!