ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just am at a loss here...if someone chooses to wear a helmet in a sxs, by all means! It’s probably not a bad idea. But when I’m strapped in my harnesses in the sxs, I’m pretty well protected. Most sxs injuries occur because people aren’t strapped in and get between the cage and the object they hit, be that ground, rock, tree. What kills me is by law you don’t have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle but you have to wear a seat belt in a car. If we want to talk statistics, you’re far more likely to be involved in a severe accident in your car than your sxs. So why aren’t folks wearing helmets in their cars? Again, to each is own. And if you choose to wear a helmet or not. By all means. I don’t give a s*** one way or another. It’s been said time and time again about using sense. That’s the key to all of it! s*** happens sometimes and that’s unavoidable to an extent. But when it comes to kids it’s our job as parents to protect them. That doesn’t always mean wrapping them up like they’re being shipped usps because you know they’re going to get broke if you don’t. I keep life jackets on the kids when they’re in the boat and moving. And I put the little one in a car seat. When in the car or sxs if we’re actually “riding”. Now if I didn’t have them properly restrained a helmet would be a greater need. But they are. So it’s not. And furthermore, I’m not doing the same riding with the kids as I do by myself. That doesn’t mean that freak things can’t happen. But the reality is, if you’re situationally aware the chances of bad things happening are reduced. I carry a gun and I’m aware of my surroundings. And so far, I’ve never had to use it. But that’s hugely because I’m aware of my surroundings. When you go looking for trouble you’re far more likely to find it. Same goes with riding a sxs, driving a car or raw dogging a bar fly. Use your head and minimize your risk. If you can’t use your head then by all means use more protective equipment. That’s why the Arabs invented condoms. But it was the English that decided to remove them from the sheep before use. They were situationally aware!

When I get home I’m taking a swazall and making a convertible.

Need some weight reduction so I’m going to remove the seatbelts and harnesses as well.

Don’t tell me I’m wrong I’ve seen it on YouTube.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just am at a loss here...if someone chooses to wear a helmet in a sxs, by all means! It’s probably not a bad idea. But when I’m strapped in my harnesses in the sxs, I’m pretty well protected. Most sxs injuries occur because people aren’t strapped in and get between the cage and the object they hit, be that ground, rock, tree. What kills me is by law you don’t have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle but you have to wear a seat belt in a car. If we want to talk statistics, you’re far more likely to be involved in a severe accident in your car than your sxs. So why aren’t folks wearing helmets in their cars? Again, to each is own. And if you choose to wear a helmet or not. By all means. I don’t give a s*** one way or another. It’s been said time and time again about using sense. That’s the key to all of it! s*** happens sometimes and that’s unavoidable to an extent. But when it comes to kids it’s our job as parents to protect them. That doesn’t always mean wrapping them up like they’re being shipped usps because you know they’re going to get broke if you don’t. I keep life jackets on the kids when they’re in the boat and moving. And I put the little one in a car seat. When in the car or sxs if we’re actually “riding”. Now if I didn’t have them properly restrained a helmet would be a greater need. But they are. So it’s not. And furthermore, I’m not doing the same riding with the kids as I do by myself. That doesn’t mean that freak things can’t happen. But the reality is, if you’re situationally aware the chances of bad things happening are reduced. I carry a gun and I’m aware of my surroundings. And so far, I’ve never had to use it. But that’s hugely because I’m aware of my surroundings. When you go looking for trouble you’re far more likely to find it. Same goes with riding a sxs, driving a car or raw dogging a bar fly. Use your head and minimize your risk. If you can’t use your head then by all means use more protective equipment. That’s why the Arabs invented condoms. But it was the English that decided to remove them from the sheep before use. They were situationally aware!
The single largest factor of getting hurt from all I have personally seen is not wearing a damn seat belt. I will admit got lazy a few times when we first started sxs riding but I’ve seen so many people get hurt. Just a simple 2mph tip gets you f***ed up. I stress that shot every time the rig is in motion. Even my daughter patiently walks around the rig and checks to see each seatbelt is on and adjusted and explains how to hold on before she pulls away.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The single largest factor of getting hurt from all I have personally seen is not wearing a damn seat belt. I will admit got lazy a few times when we first started sxs riding but I’ve seen so many people get hurt. Just a simple 2mph tip gets you f***ed up. I stress that shot every time the rig is in motion. Even my daughter patiently walks around the rig and checks to see each seatbelt is on and adjusted and explains how to hold on before she pulls away.
I wear a helmet 24 / 7, 365! HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Your hat doesn’t count Smitty!:rolleyes:
HA! Being bald is the pitts, cold in the winter and a sun burn on the top of your head is painful with out a hat. A friend that I have known for several years had a full head of hair, until he dove into the pool at a pool party and his hair came off, I didn't have a clue he was bald, HA! After that he just started shaving his head!

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I remember my mother driving us kids to school functions in the 70's driving with one hand, drinking a whiskey sour in the other and all of us not wearing seat belts. Hard to believe we survived but then again there were minimal distractions like smart phones and in car entertainment.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually there is an end...Yours stops with "common sense". Mine adds a few additional precautions like seat belts, gloves, boots, helmet, and goggles. The Anderson's don't bother checking their squeaky brakes or loose lug nuts on their way underinflated tire. The Smith's don't let anyone under 13 in their SxS and no on under the age of 18 drive it. The Jones don't let their family participate at all. The beauty of it is we all get to make the choices and live with the consequences.
I have NO problem with folks using whatever safety gear they want to, regardless if I personally think it is overkill. While in MO last year I saw a fella getting his cows up on horseback (I did not say he was a cowboy ..... lol). He was wearing a dang HELMET. I laughed and laughed, but did not try to change his mind on the matter.
I agree, there is no end to the safety aspect. It's kinda like a 5in lift on the rig, there will be a 6in rock and so on. My wife was in one of the safest vehicles on the road..a full size ambulance with lights and sirens going with her seatbelt on, someone still pulled out in front of them. After a month in the ICU and a bunch of surgeries she still has the scars and one less eye.
Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she is getting along as good as possible. Yep, regardless of what you do or wear, there is ALWAYS another way you can be 'got'. I worked a fatality accident many years ago involving a motorcycle. The driver was killed, was wearing a helmet and did not have a scratch on his head! His problem was his head was no longer attached to his body but was still inside the helmet. I just refuse to live my life in fear due to worrying about every bad possible scenario that could occur.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can anyone tell me if this will allow me to safely operate my SXS....or should i add leg protection as well?
761751ba 81f2 4cab a269 782d99635a4d 10b61d56f3d2e8b80f3e3c5a353429568

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have NO problem with folks using whatever safety gear they want to, regardless if I personally think it is overkill. While in MO last year I saw a fella getting his cows up on horseback (I did not say he was a cowboy ..... lol). He was wearing a dang HELMET. I laughed and laughed, but did not try to change his mind on the matter.
Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she is getting along as good as possible. Yep, regardless of what you do or wear, there is ALWAYS another way you can be 'got'. I worked a fatality accident many years ago involving a motorcycle. The driver was killed, was wearing a helmet and did not have a scratch on his head! His problem was his head was no longer attached to his body but was still inside the helmet. I just refuse to live my life in fear due to worrying about every bad possible scenario that could occur.
Cause of death, air gap!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!