E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Every hive set up around here has an electric fence around it.

Reactions: Biteme and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
We had a discussion about this in our clinic when it was a big deal a few years and they asked me what if some one comes in with ebola. My honest answer is Im gonna leave through the back door. When it gets to that point that people with active ebola are walking around town I will be in my sealed shelter for a few weeks at least.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We had a discussion about this in our clinic when it was a big deal a few years and they asked me what if some one comes in with ebola. My honest answer is Im gonna leave through the back door. When it gets to that point that people with active ebola are walking around town I will be in my sealed shelter for a few weeks at least.
Remember a while back when Ebola was all over the "news" then one day it was up and gone. Funny how that happens so regular with various topics. I'm afraid when Ebola or something of the sort becomes a real problem we might not know the extent until it's too late.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started reading the Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston at the beginning of a flight where we were stuck on the runway waiting to taxi out..... I don't recommend that but I do recommend the book - read in the comfort (safety) of your home.

J

JTW

Remember a while back when Ebola was all over the "news" then one day it was up and gone. Funny how that happens so regular with various topics. I'm afraid when Ebola or something of the sort becomes a real problem we might not know the extent until it's too late.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah.. that was odd. I always thought it was stupid that they brought those infected back state side. I’m guessing they have a cure now but are keeping it on the DL. I know they cured one of the Drs they brought back. And oddly enough (supposedly) it was thru the use of tobacco plants. We heard quite a bit about it because that research facility was in Owensboro. About 45 miles from here! Great.. I know!

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I started reading the Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston at the beginning of a flight where we were stuck on the runway waiting to taxi out..... I don't recommend that but I do recommend the book - read in the comfort (safety) of your home.
I've got that ebook but haven't had a chance to read it yet... I'd forgot about it so thanks for reminding me!! Definitely going to get started on it.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got that ebook but haven't had a chance to read it yet... I'd forgot about it so thanks for reminding me!! Definitely going to get started on it.
Just don't read it on a plane... I had been reading about 30min or so when I looked up... I noticed several people were wearing mask (this was at an international airport and the ebola was on the news about us bringing back the dr).

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

Its a great book real damn scary

Reactions: Biteme and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I heard on the news yesterday 1 infected guy escaped from the hospital and that it's now in a city of 9 million people. WOO HOO!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any insight on rain water barrels? I'm not planning on potable water, just using it to water the garden and such. It snows and freezes here so the setup has to be emptied early October to mid April (give or take). I have zero experience in this arena and would appreciate any insight or ideas.

I'm planning three of these 50 gallon rain barrels (one for each downspout).
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...6-c-13106.htm?tid=7040100093759372339&ipos=12

The top planter portion I plan to cut and recess a plastic pond planter basket into
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...0-c-10121.htm?tid=7532168655193489870&ipos=37

I plan to line that basket with a netting similar to a pool skimmer to fully filter any leaves or general gutter gunk just because cleaning the barrel doesn't sound like a fun task.

I intend to just cut the downspout and route the entire thing into my basket filter into the rain barrel. I have no idea how much water a good rain will produce. If it overflows the barrel because it was a bad idea I can always add barrels or just setup an overflow drain that sends the water to the street (that is all the current downspouts do).

That is my half baked plan of attack. Like I said I have no experience so if please chime in if it won't work or there is a better way. I'd be happy to learn from you. Thank you for your time!

Reactions: Biteme
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any insight on rain water barrels? I'm not planning on potable water, just using it to water the garden and such. It snows and freezes here so the setup has to be emptied early October to mid April (give or take). I have zero experience in this arena and would appreciate any insight or ideas.

I'm planning three of these 50 gallon rain barrels (one for each downspout).
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...6-c-13106.htm?tid=7040100093759372339&ipos=12

The top planter portion I plan to cut and recess a plastic pond planter basket into
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...0-c-10121.htm?tid=7532168655193489870&ipos=37

I plan to line that basket with a netting similar to a pool skimmer to fully filter any leaves or general gutter gunk just because cleaning the barrel doesn't sound like a fun task.

I intend to just cut the downspout and route the entire thing into my basket filter into the rain barrel. I have no idea how much water a good rain will produce. If it overflows the barrel because it was a bad idea I can always add barrels or just setup an overflow drain that sends the water to the street (that is all the current downspouts do).

That is my half baked plan of attack. Like I said I have no experience so if please chime in if it won't work or there is a better way. I'd be happy to learn from you. Thank you for your time!
I have a huge rainwater collection setup and am currently holding 3000 gallons of rain I collect from the barn. I'll post up some pix later today.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a huge rainwater collection setup and am currently holding 3000 gallons of rain I collect from the barn. I'll post up some pix later today.

Wow, 3k gallons. Hmm, suddenly wondering if my 150 gallons is waaayyy undersized. Granted my house is no where near the size of a barn. I look forward to your photos and learning from your experience sir.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!