100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got any good gate ideas to keep out the riff raff? My big steel gate I currently have and some barbed wire. I thought I had a pix of my gates but apparently not.
IMG 0018
Fullsizeoutput 29c
Fullsizeoutput 952
Fullsizeoutput 2a9

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check with the local power companies for sources of old power poles. they usually give them away for free.

Reactions: Biteme
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Biteme and 100Acre
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gate - I can say a roller/slide style is superior to a swing style in my opinion. The convenience of no one ever misjudging the swing room required for it to open. The other benefit being security. Openings with a split in the middle are always harder to secure than something that can overlap the opening and be framed (for lack of a better term) against the opening. A nice chain drive garage opener can be utilized to open a roller/slide style as well.

Aesthetically, you really can do whatever you want. It is only limited by your budget and imagination on that side of things either way you go with your gate.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gate - I can say a roller/slide style is superior to a swing style in my opinion. The convenience of no one ever misjudging the swing room required for it to open. The other benefit being security. Openings with a split in the middle are always harder to secure than something that can overlap the opening and be framed (for lack of a better term) against the opening. A nice chain drive garage opener can be utilized to open a roller/slide style as well.

Aesthetically, you really can do whatever you want. It is only limited by your budget and imagination on that side of things either way you go with your gate.

Dual leaf gates are a PITA to line up and keep lined up and harder to secure.

A sliding gate is ideal, but have horrible aesthetics for most people and a large amount of space to the side of the opening is required for them to work correctly. If it is heavy you are going to want a quality opener or you're going to have issues. A high quality swing operator is required for anything heavier duty than a metal farm gate. They just don't have the power to close a heavy gate or move it with any kind of wind.

You can get anything from a Mighty Mule and razor wire, all the way up to thermal cameras and crash barriers depends on the abysmal depth of your pockets. We just sold 19 of these to an airport in the area. We have installed barriers rated to stop a 65000lb truck from 50mph in less than a meter at several military bases.

I went a little lighter than that when I built our gate for the homestead (out of 1/4" wall 2" tube with 1x2 tube cross bracing on the back). Its heavy enough a 1hp opener has started to make the cubic yard of concrete its mounted to shift in the last 3 years just opening and closing it. It has a lock a ½ton truck could break but would take some damage, its more to keep the wind from tearing stuff up. I need to drag some boulders up to the road and put them on either side but nothing I have access to has the ass to move them.

Gate Tag 2018 May 24 09 48 04

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dual leaf gates are a PITA to line up and keep lined up and harder to secure.

A sliding gate is ideal, but have horrible aesthetics for most people and a large amount of space to the side of the opening is required for them to work correctly. If it is heavy you are going to want a quality opener or you're going to have issues. A high quality swing operator is required for anything heavier duty than a metal farm gate. They just don't have the power to close a heavy gate or move it with any kind of wind.

You can get anything from a Mighty Mule and razor wire, all the way up to thermal cameras and crash barriers depends on the abysmal depth of your pockets. We just sold 19 of these to an airport in the area. We have installed barriers rated to stop a 65000lb truck from 50mph in less than a meter at several military bases.

I went a little lighter than that when I built our gate for the homestead (out of 1/4" wall 2" tube with 1x2 tube cross bracing on the back). Its heavy enough a 1hp opener has started to make the cubic yard of concrete its mounted to shift in the last 3 years just opening and closing it. It has a lock a ½ton truck could break but would take some damage, its more to keep the wind from tearing stuff up. I need to drag some boulders up to the road and put them on either side but nothing I have access to has the ass to move them.

View attachment 76709
That's awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doing a little searching and thinking it looks like this would work as my filter material on my basket and it is super cheap. Looks like some people are using them as prefilters on their pool skimmer baskets. For less than $6 I'm willing to give it a shot for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-H...ropylene-White/dp/B002XK2FS0/?tag=sxsweb24-20
You can easily make your own sand/ Charcoal water filter buckets otherwise to remove finer particles, I'd say use denim. It's always best to solarize or boil your water before drinking it. I also have a Steam distiller I made from two SS milking cans. Another option I have is the Imperial Berkey water filter which can also be made with two 5 gallon buckets and some ceramic filters.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can easily make your own sand/ Charcoal water filter buckets otherwise to remove finer particles, I'd say use denim. It's always best to solarize or boil your water before drinking it. I also have a Steam distiller I made from two SS milking cans. Another option I have is the Imperial Berkey water filter which can also be made with two 5 gallon buckets and some ceramic filters.

No intentions of drinking the water. I'm just using it to water the garden/flowers/etc. I was only intending to "filter" it to keep the barrel from getting sediment and stuff in the bottom (there is a drain tap at the bottom and a spigot tap that is higher). I appreciate you keeping me from killing us with a nasty water bacteria though. :)

Side goal was it being something that keeps it from becoming a live well for mosquito's. lol

I wouldn't mind using denim for my purpose either. I just assumed I wanted something that would flow through pretty easy. I will keep it in mind for sure.

Reactions: Biteme
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The barn with water tower. I like to use the 275 gallon totes. I have a source and they used to contain molasses but they are sold to the public cleaned and only about $75 each. Unless you have a solar pump an old reconditioned pitcher pump will work just fine. I have a number of small catchment systems each holding 550 gallons, around the property so I can water trees too far from a natural source or hose. These systems can also be used with my mobile fire suppression system as well. I buried two of the tanks next to the tower so I'd have a non frozen emergency water source during the winter. I also have totes attached to downspouts at the corners of my house which I'll use them to flush my toilets, wash dishes or bathe and or to water other garden /food forest plots.
Got pumps, Steam Turbines or old school, belt driven machinery ?
IMG 7137
IMG 7254
IMG 0021
IMG 7259
IMG 0009
IMG 0008
IMG 0024
IMG 0019
IMG 7262
IMG 0008
IMG 7209
IMG 7210

Last edited:
advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No intentions of drinking the water. I'm just using it to water the garden/flowers/etc. I was only intending to "filter" it to keep the barrel from getting sediment and stuff in the bottom (there is a drain tap at the bottom and a spigot tap that is higher). I appreciate you keeping me from killing us with a nasty water bacteria though. :)

Side goal was it being something that keeps it from becoming a live well for mosquito's. lol

I wouldn't mind using denim for my purpose either. I just assumed I wanted something that would flow through pretty easy. I will keep it in mind for sure.
If concerned about mosquitos, you can either cover the surface of the water with a little boiled linseed oil or, drop in a goldfish or two. They can freeze solid in the winter and thaw out alive during warmer seasons. At least that's something I heard.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Antibiotics? Anybody ever look at the Fish Antibiotics? They're the same exact ingredients as what humans are prescribed. Many medical salves, ointments and treatments for livestock can be used on humans too. Most of those can be found at Feed/Farm stores.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also if using water totes, build them up high enough on a platform to put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the spout.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@100Acre You take this way more seriously than me. lol. I have considered if we end up building a place having potable water tanks (cistern if you will) buried. Nice to see what is possible if I ever get a fast internet connection and lots of land to happen at that same time. ;)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also if using water totes, build them up high enough on a platform to put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the spout.

That 5 gallon bucket thought I definitely had. If memory serves water is a little over 8 lbs a gallon so if my barrel is full I'm between 400 and 450 lbs so making sure that base can hold the weight is key too. I don't want it to fall over and hurt/kill the neighborhoood kids when they fill water balloons.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Antibiotics? Anybody ever look at the Fish Antibiotics? They're the same exact ingredients as what humans are prescribed. Many medical salves, ointments and treatments for livestock can be used on humans too. Most of those can be found at Feed/Farm stores.
I do have some of them

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@100Acre You take this way more seriously than me. lol. I have considered if we end up building a place having potable water tanks (cistern if you will) buried. Nice to see what is possible if I ever get a fast internet connection and lots of land to happen at that same time. ;)
I was a doomsday guy for way too long. Plus we had a serious drought for a few years and everybody's wells were sputtering. Then there's societal collapse scenarios. Water just seemed too important to ignore. You may not want to have to drink it one day but then again it's better for you than sand...

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was a doomsday guy for way too long. Plus we had a serious drought for a few years and everybody's wells were sputtering. Then there's societal collapse scenarios. Water just seemed too important to ignore. You may not want to have to drink it one day but then again it's better for you than sand...
How do you keep up with all this with as much traveling as you do? Wasn't the Doomsday castle filmed over in that part of NC too?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If concerned about mosquitos, you can either cover the surface of the water with a little boiled linseed oil or, drop in a goldfish or two. They can freeze solid in the winter and thaw out alive during warmer seasons. At least that's something I heard.

Put 15 cent feeder goldfish in one of those plastic fish ponds at my ex-laws years ago. It definitely froze at least the top foot (it was the longest drill bit I had and didn't get through the ice completely) and they survived just fine in the spring. I was shocked how big those little fish got over a year or two in that pond.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you keep up with all this with as much traveling as you do? Wasn't the Doomsday castle filmed over in that part of NC too?
Been at it over 10 years before Obutturd was elected. Now I just stay aware and wait but still try to enjoy life by traveling. Yes the Castle was filmed in a county or two over. I met that guy a couple of times at pepper camp.
Welcome to Prepper Camp!
Look at the Goober at the 9 second mark.. I wonder who that is?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!