100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speaking of water, How are you gonna thaw your big tanks when they freeze in the new mini ice age? Try military surplus immersion heaters. They are heated by drip fire. Typically diesel.
M-67 Immersion Heater

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Classic SHTF movie!

Reactions: gch1911
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was bored today, so I went out looking for treasures at a few antique malls. I was mainly looking for militaria and C&R stuff. I did find another new to me Grain Mill. Most types of mills that people see are sausage grinders, but grain mills aren't as common and whenever I see one, I snatch it up. This is a small one and any markings have been painted over but with a good quality paint. Typically most grain mills are fairly expensive ($100's) but every now and then you'll come across a deal like this $40 score. So let's say you stored up some wheat and other uncracked grains for their shelf stability. (Ground Flour only has a shelf life of about 2 years.)-(Unground whole grains and seeds are more like 25-30 year shelf life, If stored properly) So... once you have your gains put up, how are you gonna turn it into flour? If you had green coffee beans stored and had a way to roast them, then you could also use this mill for that purpose too. There are many coffee grinders out there as well, but I wouldn't suggest using them for grinding grains. Lastly if the power is out, are you gonna use your limited power resources to use an electric grinder. Or are you gonna grind a couple of stones together and throw grain at them? Not me....
IMG 9574
IMG 8887
IMG 6934

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Was bored today, so I went out looking for treasures at a few antique malls. I was mainly looking for militaria and C&R stuff. I did find another new to me Grain Mill. Most types of mills that people see are sausage grinders, but grain mills aren't as common and whenever I see one, I snatch it up. This is a small one and any markings have been painted over but with a good quality paint. Typically most grain mills are fairly expensive ($100's) but every now and then you'll come across a deal like this $40 score. So let's say you stored up some wheat and other uncracked grains for their shelf stability. (Ground Flour only has a shelf life of about 2 years.)-(Unground whole grains and seeds are more like 25-30 year shelf life, If stored properly) So... once you have your gains put up, how are you gonna turn it into flour? If you had green coffee beans stored and had a way to roast them, then you could also use this mill for that purpose too. There are many coffee grinders out there as well, but I wouldn't suggest using them for grinding grains. Lastly if the power is out, are you gonna use your limited power resources to use an electric grinder. Or are you gonna grind a couple of stones together and throw grain at them? Not me....
View attachment 97367 View attachment 97368 View attachment 97369
Cool find!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 100Acre
J

JTW

View attachment 97367 View attachment 97368 View attachment 97369
There’s a large cave/indention in the side of the knob about half way up... there are multiple hominy holes in the floor of it.

Guess I’m going old school..

C6BAE044 5C3F 46B1 AA70 7C7A5EBB6492

Reactions: DanDan and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There’s a large cave/indention in the side of the knob about half way up... there are multiple hominy holes in the floor of it.

Guess I’m going old school..

View attachment 97435
Grain up high away from the populations of critters

Reactions: Trapper5885
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Food Expiration dates;
The Steamboat Bertrand sank on April 1, 1865. In 1974 [109 years later], samples of canned food from the wreck, including brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetable, were tested by the National Food Processors Association. Although their appearance, smell and vitamin content had deteriorated, there was no trace of microbial growth and the food was determined to be still safe to eat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_(steamboat)

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is way too freaky!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the event of any type of societal collapse. Abandoned dogs may form packs and predate on People. In the event that something like that might occur, I'd recommend fencing areas of your property/compound with woven mesh fences. As with just barbed wire, the animals can go right under. I would also recommend inspecting your fence line often to check for damage and or digging under. When I had pigs, I used 2-3' lengths of rebar and made hooks by bending one end down to form a heavy duty stake to keep them from digging out areas of fence sections between posts. Also, If you have to flee your properties as refugees, try to travel in groups to reduce attacks by dog packs and carry something to defend yourselves even if it's just a big stick.

Reactions: Trapper5885
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A must have for anyone concerned about surviving the Gnome Apocalypse...
516lvwYmONL SX323 BO1204203200

Reactions: DanDan and Mudwing
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm late to this post and hundreds of post behind, but did skim through briefly and would add, some form of alternative electricity (not completely depended on powerlines) would be of value....

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Man that's some good stuff. I live in bear/moose/big kitty country, I think my .45 should serve me well. I've got 100 extra rounds plus 5 in the wheel. My particular situation is that I could be as far as 800 miles from home. I have room for a bicycle on the truck, takes up no space. I figure I could travel by bike for at least 48-72 hours until people start losing their s***, that would give me a 100-200 mile head start on just walking. I'll need supplies to sleep, in weather ranging from 100 to -30. It's a large set of scenarios for sure, hopefully I have time to prepare!

One thing you might consider is aluminum cased ammo for the 45 it's approximately 2/3 the weight of brass (my guess in running various kinds routinely) and all this adds up when packing for a long trip :)

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm late to this post and hundreds of post behind, but did skim through briefly and would add, some form of alternative electricity (not completely depended on powerlines) would be of value....
One of the reasons I'd like to find land with a creek is because I want to dabble in Hydroelectricity. Hydro and wind generated power are best especially when solar is down.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I never considered this for weight advantages for trekking distances. Good idea!
I shoot competitively and this summer, I needed some 9mm while out and picked up some aluminum (similar to this) from a box store and was SHOCKED at the difference in weight, heck it may be 1/2 the weight. I now use aluminum when we are running/gunning in matches needing a large amount of ammo for targets, plus the mags are lighter (that adds up quick with 5 packed with 24 rounds) and I haven't witnessed any difference in performance, but it does remove reloading from the equation, but heck, it's all lost anyways in a match.....

Reactions: ohanacreek

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!