P500 Looking for suspension advice

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys I've owned my 500 going on 4 years now since 2015, and getting to the point I want to do something to improve the ride. I am looking for some advice and ideas from you guys that have done the suspension mods. Starting off I do realize the p5 is what it is with only 5.9 inches of travel and all, I know it will not be a rzr with fox or w.e. or any comparable set up. What I would like is some improvement over the stock ride not as rough and bucking some actual shock absorbsion would be nice lol. I am in West Virginia a lot of my riding is an area that has a lot of rough rocky trails and trails with deep rutted and washed out areas. I have read the air suspension thread but not really sure I want to do all the compressor and control valves and all that would like to keep it as simple as possible. Have thought about maybe a hybrid set up of some sort maybe still using the stock shocks just adding single air springs on each corner to offer a little more absorbsion? Or perhaps only do 4 air shocks on the front only leaving the back stock, I think the front is where all rough riding kind of comes from. Still have not gave up on the idea of finding a bolt on replacement from another utv perhaps one of the smaller rzrs or something. Just looking for a smoother ride and something simple.

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah I know they are selling those now, looking for a cheaper alternative that still gives better improvement over stock, cause they are $$$$ lol I'd rather save my money some power steering and other options like a front locker.

Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
C

Chooglin

I understand that the W.E. shocks are very pricey but are well worth the money in my opinion. You won't get a better ride with any other stock shock out there , that will fit on these machines.

I did the Proggresive 425 Yamaha Rhino shock mod and it was a great improvement over stock but no where close to the ride the W.E. gives you. The Progressive 425's have been replaced with 429's but they will run you about $400 for a pair for the front. You will also need to relocate the bottom a-arm shock mount outward on the A-arm.

Screenshot 2016 11 14 11 53 23

Last edited by a moderator:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
What have you done to the machine already? Bigger tires help smooth it out some also I feel the wheel spacers help some too, not sure exactly why but I think it puts some more leverage against the springs making it feel a little softer.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
27 diameter tires and lower psi helped much vs stock, as mostly a slow poke rider on hilly rocky trails. 12v compressor in cargo box if needed. Watching thread.

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like I may just have to save my pennies and get the Walker Evan's shocks i thought that i had read in some of the other forums someone had said they did not make that much difference for the money. And I have not done anything to the machine other than sound system storage box an lights. It is still on the factory 12 inch trims and tires. Which is another reason why I was hoping there was a cheaper alternative for a better ride. I will need some new tires soon they are getting pretty worn since I've got a little bit of pavement to run on to get to where I ride at. I do plan on going up a few sizes in tires what does everyone prefer on the factory wheels? And probably will do some wheel spacers to make it a little more stable on the side to side.

Reactions: JWB
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here's a stupid question? Has anybody checked to see if the fox shocks for a 700 would fit on a P5?

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I'd be interested to find that out as well. I know the 5 is kind of a odd ball as far as the suspension travel goes in the utv world, but you'd think there would be other shocks that would work on it.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Here's a stupid question? Has anybody checked to see if the fox shocks for a 700 would fit on a P5?

Haven’t looked, but @Tramguage1 was asking me the same thing on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Haven’t looked, but @Tramguage1 was asking me the same thing on Saturday.

I know there much smaller than my P1 fox qs3’s. So I was thinking maybe the Bolt up pattern would be the same? Because they are load shocks you may be able to adjust them for that travel. Just a thought

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I've been wondering if these would work on the 5 as well I'd think anything would have to be a improvement in the ride over the stock shocks

Screenshot 20180716 095357 eBay

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reactions: trigger
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
I think Joe is using another machines shocks on his P500 and recommending them on his long arm kit as well. I just don’t recall the brand/specific machine.

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah just looking for a more budget friendly option that still offers a improvement in the ride

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah just looking for a more budget friendly option that still offers a improvement in the ride
Elka has stage 1&2’s that would improve your ride. There 475$ for fronts and same for back. If you call them they may give you a discount code to help that out. You just don’t get quite the performance out of them As you would with a walker Evans or the Elka stage III’s or fivesbut they’re definitely better than stock

Reactions: trigger
B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Elka has stage 1&2’s that would improve your ride. There 475$ for fronts and same for back. If you call them they may give you a discount code to help that out. You just don’t get quite the performance out of them As you would with a walker Evans or the Elka stage III’s or fivesbut they’re definitely better than stock

Thanks for reply, I will look into those Elkas if I cant find any other options

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have the dual air shocks up front, I don't have any plumbing or a compressor. I did tie them together with a HOKE so I could open that valve to max out articulation but I find I hardly use it, so if you do the pairs and just connect each side independently you will be fine, just use a PSI gauge to be sure they are balanced. It is hands down the softest most plush ride you can get for under $200 all in. And, It can articulate a LOT more than any of these high dollar shocks because they still spring bind.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have the dual air shocks up front, I don't have any plumbing or a compressor. I did tie them together with a HOKE so I could open that valve to max out articulation but I find I hardly use it, so if you do the pairs and just connect each side independently you will be fine, just use a PSI gauge to be sure they are balanced. It is hands down the softest most plush ride you can get for under $200 all in. And, It can articulate a LOT more than any of these high dollar shocks because they still spring bind.
Do u have a link for those?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!