P500 Looking for suspension advice

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I have the dual air shocks up front, I don't have any plumbing or a compressor. I did tie them together with a HOKE so I could open that valve to max out articulation but I find I hardly use it, so if you do the pairs and just connect each side independently you will be fine, just use a PSI gauge to be sure they are balanced. It is hands down the softest most plush ride you can get for under $200 all in. And, It can articulate a LOT more than any of these high dollar shocks because they still spring bind.

Thanks for the reply! That is mostly what I'm looking for just a smoother ride. And you just left the stock springs alone on back? What psi do you normally run yours at for the best ride? Have read some folks have had problems with the upper shock mount welds up front after going to air have you experienced any issues with your ride?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like I may just have to save my pennies and get the Walker Evan's shocks i thought that i had read in some of the other forums someone had said they did not make that much difference for the money. And I have not done anything to the machine other than sound system storage box an lights. It is still on the factory 12 inch trims and tires. Which is another reason why I was hoping there was a cheaper alternative for a better ride. I will need some new tires soon they are getting pretty worn since I've got a little bit of pavement to run on to get to where I ride at. I do plan on going up a few sizes in tires what does everyone prefer on the factory wheels? And probably will do some wheel spacers to make it a little more stable on the side to side.
I think the cheapest way to make it ride better is some larger tires. I only went up to a 25” tire and it made a big difference, I’m sure a 26” would have been even better. No need to spend a bunch of money on the tires ether. I picked up a set of tires from chaparral for $220 free shipping and no tax and they are working well with no problems after 600 miles. You can add some rear spacers for another $50-&$70 and you should be riding much better.

Reactions: Remington
B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I think the cheapest way to make it ride better is some larger tires. I only went up to a 25” tire and it made a big difference, I’m sure a 26” would have been even better. No need to spend a bunch of money on the tires ether. I picked up a set of tires from chaparral for $220 free shipping and no tax and they are working well with no problems after 600 miles. You can add some rear spacers for another $50-&$70 and you should be riding much better.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I am going to need to replace the stock tires soon definitely want to go bigger than stock and am wanting to do some spacers to help with stability as well.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply! That is mostly what I'm looking for just a smoother ride. And you just left the stock springs alone on back? What psi do you normally run yours at for the best ride? Have read some folks have had problems with the upper shock mount welds up front after going to air have you experienced any issues with your ride?
I left the back alone, I did toss the sway bar. On the front it seems to like between 70 & 80 PSI. If you want an easy way to connect a hoke and the sides together those plastic push "T" fittings with the blue push section seal up really well and don't need tools (Cheap on Ebay), but you will be fine just running pairs on each side without connecting the sides together...and no, you cant "Get by" running one per side, so forget that thought. Read through the shocks thread and it has all the info you need.

Reactions: JWB and BCmedic85
B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I left the back alone, I did toss the sway bar. On the front it seems to like between 70 & 80 PSI. If you want an easy way to connect a hoke and the sides together those plastic push "T" fittings with the blue push section seal up really well and don't need tools (Cheap on Ebay), but you will be fine just running pairs on each side without connecting the sides together...and no, you cant "Get by" running one per side, so forget that thought. Read through the shocks thread and it has all the info you need.

Awesome! pFive thanks for the info! I think that set up is what I am going to try better suited for my riding and a hell of a lot easier on my bank account as well so I can get tires and power steering lol

Reactions: JWB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Awesome! pFive thanks for the info! I think that set up is what I am going to try better suited for my riding and a hell of a lot easier on my bank account as well so I can get tires and power steering lol
Definitely don’t try a single airshock on each side as mentioned earlier. It will not work. Post up when you get it done.

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Definitely don’t try a single airshock on each side as mentioned earlier. It will not work. Post up when you get it done.

Definitely going to do dual shocks on both sides, again thank you all for the replies and info appreciate it. I will post pics after I get it done, may be a month or so got a new baby in the house that's taking up all my time lol

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The combo im running now is awesome. Kenda HTR Bear Claws in 27x11x12 on 5-2 rims, along with Elka Stage 3 shocks, no anti sway bar. The radials at 5 PSI front and rear really smooth out the ride, highly recommend them, not a lot of mileage on tires just yet, but they’ll be great. The Elkas are pricey as are the WEs, air seems like a good option. In Canada, air shocks are way overpriced (I think), and needed something simple reliable so Stage 3 where it for me. No complains so far, just no seat time, hopefully this weekend.

Radials in 26 or 27” same width front to back and air shocks would be wicked I’m thinkin.

j

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Here's the link to the suspension page for the beginning of the air shock mod: P500 - p5 suspension
As mentioned, don't even bother with singles.
Rock Auto has the lowest price (today) for the AC Delco (gabriel hijacker) 1978 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 5.7L 350cid V8 Shock Absorber | RockAuto
The Part # is 504557. I just ordered and received 4 sets. $64 per set.
Make sure to add limiting straps- I'll post pics/video in the suspension thread as soon as I install them on mine.

Last edited:
D

Duckhunt

I'm curious what makes the AC Delco's half cost and 24 month warranty vs Gabriel's 49304 w/ lifetime. Any insight @JWB?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm curious what makes the AC Delco's half cost and 24 month warranty vs Gabriel's 49304 w/ lifetime. Any insight @JWB?
Welcome to the club! The warranty thing is pretty bogus for both vendors. If the shocks are used for anything other than the specific application, or used "off-road" there is no warranty. And, the warranty only applies to defects in workmanship, or failure caused by such defects. So the warranty doesn't apply to us at all, other than a unit that clearly has an issue 'out of the box'. I have a feeling that due to Delco's buying power they may just get a much better price from the company that actually makes the shocks. I don't mean the volume of these specific shocks, just the sheer volume of product Delco must be buying... The air shocks we use, have 'Made In Mexico' boldly stamped into them, along with a part number that doesn't match, or even resemble Delco's, or Gabriels part number. There can only be a limited number of manufacturers that can actually produce the insanely high volume of shocks required for the automotive and industrial markets.
Gabriel's spiel on the website claims that they make/supply shocks for many segments of the industry, but I now wonder who actually produces them....
20180907 183122

Reactions: Duckhunt
D

Duckhunt

You're the man JWB! Thank you! One major turn on is if I went this route I could drop the air and load it onto my fish house this winter without removing the hard top and putting 800 pounds on it to clear the 71"h door!

One other quick question, in the p5 suspension thread (chapter book) I didn't catch where you installed the limiter straps. Did I miss this or is this something you found out later by trial and error??? LOL Just curious.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
You're the man JWB! Thank you! One major turn on is if I went this route I could drop the air and load it onto my fish house this winter without removing the hard top and putting 800 pounds on it to clear the 71"h door!

One other quick question, in the p5 suspension thread (chapter book) I didn't catch where you installed the limiter straps. Did I miss this or is this something you found out later by trial and error??? LOL Just curious.
I decided that the limiter straps are needed to increase the life of the shocks after hearing rumors of them pulling apart, and then finally had one pull apart last wknd (1600+miles of abuse) So I just think it's a good idea at this point. Haven't done the limiters yet. I'm gonna try to swap out all the shocks and make the limit straps this wknd, but it's looking doubtful, but not impossible at this moment. I will be using 3/16 steel rope, and making a loop at each end that will fit around the spacers between the shocks, then securing with cable crimps. I'm going to limit the shock length to 1/2" shy of full extension, so getting the length right might take a bit of time. Then I will cover the completed strap with shrink tubing to keep it from 'clanging' against the shocks, and to make them look better too. I looked for pre-made limit straps, but couldn't find any the right length, without custom ordering, and then waiting 2 weeks or more, and spending $30-$45 for each one. My total materials cost to make 4 straps is about $40 so far. I got steel rope and crimps at Tractor Supply. I got the shrink tubing from one of our vendors at work. I have all the materials and parts, but limited time....as usual:rolleyes:

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

And- you're very welcome! Did you see the spool and suspension vids here?: P500 - p5 suspension
I talk about exactly what you mentioned with the height restriction issue.

D

Duckhunt

And- you're very welcome! Did you see the spool and suspension vids here?: P500 - p5 suspension
I talk about exactly what you mentioned with the height restriction issue.

Yeah that's my bad! Read to about page 54-ish then ran out of time Friday. Should have kept reading. I fully respect the fact you post all your hard earned knowledge with us. Got the Delco's an Amazon $58.17/pair. I like the fact you can go back to stock easily in a pinch. I also think the cable is a good idea for limiters. Could even throw some black rubber hose/fuel line over it between the clamps for protection. Or pieces of larger hose over the clamps too.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in the middle of the swap-out now- takin a break. I'll put more detail in the suspension thread, but I think it's time for me to start a new thread specifically on the air-shock mod (JWB mod) due to all the changes and issues that have occurred as the project continues.
Here's the limit straps I've been making for the past few hours. I decided on 13.5 inches center to center for these. I also opted to saturate the cables with Plasti-dip after realizing that the tubing would just trap moisture and dirt and likely corrode the cables.

DSCN0661 DSCN0662 DSCN0663 DSCN0664 DSCN0665 DSCN0666 DSCN0667 DSCN0668

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah that's my bad! Read to about page 54-ish then ran out of time Friday. Should have kept reading. I fully respect the fact you post all your hard earned knowledge with us. Got the Delco's an Amazon $58.17/pair. I like the fact you can go back to stock easily in a pinch. I also think the cable is a good idea for limiters. Could even throw some black rubber hose/fuel line over it between the clamps for protection. Or pieces of larger hose over the clamps too.
Good price! (I don't buy from amazon) I'm not crazy about the cable limiters- let's see how they hold up.... I think I might just go ahead and order a custom length 'manufactured' set if the length I've chosen works out OK. There will be some stretch in mine as the 'eyes' mash themselves around the spacers. I truly do enjoy sharing these projects and ideas with 'like minded' people. I always get good feedback, and fresh ideas to improve my machine, and everyone else's for that matter:).

Last edited:
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
They make Walker Evans shocks for the P5. Just bolt them on and it's a much better ride.
I like the idea of just bolting them on, did you do both front and rear and was it just a true bolt on? I hate these 15 minutes jobs that turn into 3 days.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!