Looking to buy, need help deciding what model

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to the forum. My background is dirtbikes and that is still my love but not getting much riding in with kids. The bandaid for this has been ATVs and the wife takes a kid and I take a kid. Been limiting on trails since I don't want to do anything to crazy with a kid on an ATV and I still want to dirtbike. So, looking into a SxS for the wife to drive with a kid or 2. My son is learning on his dirtbike but terrain is limited and distance is limited. The hope is if the kid wants to dirtbike he and I can ride and my wife and daughter can follow along on a SxS, and then when he gets tired throw the Honda 70 in the back of the Pioneer and put the 2 kids in the SxS with the wife. Still need to double check bed length but that is the hope.

I suspect I will rarely drive this machine with the exception of getting the kids out of the wife's hair and a few hunting trips per year.

Problem is I can't for the life of me decide what model. Bouncing between the 700-4 and 1000-5 and then the sub models of the 1000-5. I live in Colorado so most of my riding will be jeep trails at low to moderate speeds. Concerned about the top speed on the 700. Would be usually going slow but occasionally would want to go over 45 (and still holding out hope that Colorado might one day legalize them on the road). The 3 person seat up front may also be a requirement if I want to put a little dirtbike in the back. I can figure out those challenges.

Questions I have is what is the actual top speed on the 700 vs 1000? Hate driving down the trail with the engine tapped out. Aside from price and weight any benefits of the 700 over the 1000?

As far as the 1000 goes, given they all have power steering, and there is nothing about the Deluxe that excites me, is the up charge on the Limited worth it. It will get plenty of Rocky Mountain Pin Striping so at some point you have to embrace the scratches so I would probably prefer plastic over paint. Not really going fast enough to get my money out of the shocks. Most of the other upgrades I can add aftermarket. So is the i-4WD, Hill Start Assist and fancy brakes worth it?

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Skip the 700, I went through the exact thought process as you an ended up with the 1000-5.

The 700-4 has no true L gear, speed limited and from what I understood had problems going up hills with all 4 seats filled, get a 1000-5 and don’t look back. You live in CO and will ride at elevation, the 700 has been known to struggle at elevation as well.

Believe the speed diff is about 25mph 39-40mph for 700 and 65ish for 1000.

I‘d get a deluxe over an LE to have a true turf, 2wd, 3wd and 4wd locked functions, take the savings and put them into upgrades.

Here’s a look at my deluxe build tdhanses build - snowflake - The Honda Side by Side Club!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hm, everything I am seeing shows the transmissions identical for all 3 models for at least 2020 and 2021, but agree, turf mode would probably be worth the upgrade.
Sub trans yes but that has nothing to do with the turf, 2wd, 3wd and 4wd lock, these are all activated at the front and rear diff. Sub trans is your H, L and R.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
It sounds to me like from your requirements the 1000 is where you need to be. I have not had my 700-4 long and I did drive both before purchase. I am in Louisiana where the elevation is one step above a swim so altitude doesn't come into play. In my location the 700 has more than enough power. Speed was also not an issue. I have yet to be somewhere that I could go past 30 mph and most of my travel is closer to 15 mph. The 1000 is very nice. Extra power is awesome. The turf mode doesn't come into play for me either. Have had mine on my yard once and maneuvered very carefully with no sharp turns and it didn't tear up the yard at all. Was just easier to remove Christmas lights by loading everything on the 700 and let it do the carrying. The highest altitude I have been was in Arkansas with no ill effects on power with 4 grown adults. I usually use mine for hunting and with 4 rather hefty guys in it and a Louisiana 8 point on the back carry rack it was able to bring it all out through the bottoms without any issues. I believe if you have any doubts I would go with the 1000. Each person has their own requirements. I didn't need the aspects the 1000 brought to the table for an extra $4000 and is why I chose the 700 and is why I am more than pleased with my choice. Your requirements definitely seem to be much different than mine and I would sure choose the 1000 in your case.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
New to the forum. My background is dirtbikes and that is still my love but not getting much riding in with kids. The bandaid for this has been ATVs and the wife takes a kid and I take a kid. Been limiting on trails since I don't want to do anything to crazy with a kid on an ATV and I still want to dirtbike. So, looking into a SxS for the wife to drive with a kid or 2. My son is learning on his dirtbike but terrain is limited and distance is limited. The hope is if the kid wants to dirtbike he and I can ride and my wife and daughter can follow along on a SxS, and then when he gets tired throw the Honda 70 in the back of the Pioneer and put the 2 kids in the SxS with the wife. Still need to double check bed length but that is the hope.

I suspect I will rarely drive this machine with the exception of getting the kids out of the wife's hair and a few hunting trips per year.

Problem is I can't for the life of me decide what model. Bouncing between the 700-4 and 1000-5 and then the sub models of the 1000-5. I live in Colorado so most of my riding will be jeep trails at low to moderate speeds. Concerned about the top speed on the 700. Would be usually going slow but occasionally would want to go over 45 (and still holding out hope that Colorado might one day legalize them on the road). The 3 person seat up front may also be a requirement if I want to put a little dirtbike in the back. I can figure out those challenges.

Questions I have is what is the actual top speed on the 700 vs 1000? Hate driving down the trail with the engine tapped out. Aside from price and weight any benefits of the 700 over the 1000?

As far as the 1000 goes, given they all have power steering, and there is nothing about the Deluxe that excites me, is the up charge on the Limited worth it. It will get plenty of Rocky Mountain Pin Striping so at some point you have to embrace the scratches so I would probably prefer plastic over paint. Not really going fast enough to get my money out of the shocks. Most of the other upgrades I can add aftermarket. So is the i-4WD, Hill Start Assist and fancy brakes worth it?
Well, welcome from South FL!

I would recommend the P1K5. You can have a bit of everything, 5/4/or 3 seats and bed combo. Even if you had a full house, put a hitch carrier for the Dirt bikes(s) now between the base/deluxe/LE. Depends on how much you want to spend and if you need/want 4WD Front locker.
Base and deluxe pretty much same machine xept for some bling. DLX and LE, except for the I-4wd you can pretty much add everything to a DLX/base as u please

Good luck!
And remember...........pics or it didn't happen!!

Oh and, Red is the fastest 🤫

#NTC

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. The only pros of the 7hundo over the P1K that I can think of is cost, size and complexity of the engine. It does run cooler too. The 7hundo is a single cylinder engine with ball bearings in the engine with a torque converter on the transmission. The P1K on the other hand has twin cylinders, fluid bearings in the engine and a Dual Clutch Transmission. Pic just because it happened. That’s a JR50 in the back of my 7hundo. 😎
#ntc😉
AF30B06F 2AE8 450B B957 F370DD178F29

advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like a 1000-5 is in your future. Sounds awesome. I have a 700 and have been thinking of going up to a 1000. My trip to West Virginia in the spring might be deciding factor for me. Good luck.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My 2 cents.
I'm looking to buy also. The 1000 is my choice due to altitude. I live in the mountains.
I would go 1000 if I was you and you can afford it. I have a 2003 Rincon same drive line as 700 P. It's carbureted, 650 CC(680 in the P) and jetted for altitude. With me on it at this altitude it does well. Put the wife on it not so good IMO.
If you want to take it any where to ride with 4 people and gear, 1000.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. The only pros of the 7hundo over the P1K that I can think of is cost, size and complexity of the engine. It does run cooler too. The 7hundo is a single cylinder engine with ball bearings in the engine with a torque converter on the transmission. The P1K on the other hand has twin cylinders, fluid bearings in the engine and a Dual Clutch Transmission. Pic just because it happened. That’s a JR50 in the back of my 7hundo. 😎
#ntc😉View attachment 247783

Thanks for the pic, that is exactly what I wanted to see. I've got a hitch hauler but the XR70 doesn't have a skid plate so no flat bottom to hold it on the hauler.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Been reading horror stories on the heat buildup and the various fixes for it. I guess I'll get to experience that for myself. Anyone have issues with it and not have it remedied with either a cabin comfort kit or the engine fan. Don't want to go through a puddle only to put a cloud of steam in my kids face.

Also, for those have put doors and a heat kit in, what are your thoughts? One of my favorite hunts is 4th season elk in Colorado and the 45 minute ride from the truck to the hunting grounds usually starts off around 10 degrees and drops as you climb. What is the better buy for doors and do they seal relatively well? Factory vs aftermarket heater?

Along the the lines of sealing the cab will be the windshield. Not made of money but seems like a tip-out would be a better bet for summer and glass with a windshield wiper for the colder hunts (mud, snow and dust). Hate to buy 2 and have to store one, but I haven't really found a good option there.

Sorry for all the questions. Been looking at them for a few years now and a purchase date seems to be coming into view.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Been reading horror stories on the heat buildup and the various fixes for it. I guess I'll get to experience that for myself. Anyone have issues with it and not have it remedied with either a cabin comfort kit or the engine fan. Don't want to go through a puddle only to put a cloud of steam in my kids face.

Also, for those have put doors and a heat kit in, what are your thoughts? One of my favorite hunts is 4th season elk in Colorado and the 45 minute ride from the truck to the hunting grounds usually starts off around 10 degrees and drops as you climb. What is the better buy for doors and do they seal relatively well? Factory vs aftermarket heater?

Along the the lines of sealing the cab will be the windshield. Not made of money but seems like a tip-out would be a better bet for summer and glass with a windshield wiper for the colder hunts (mud, snow and dust). Hate to buy 2 and have to store one, but I haven't really found a good option there.

Sorry for all the questions. Been looking at them for a few years now and a purchase date seems to be coming into view.
i've got a Kolpin shortie that is my favorite when the weather is nice and not raining, have a SATV flip out it's works great sometimes, that is when your not riding tight trails, riding tight trails with it open will result in damage. The other thing I don't like about a full windshield is dust on the windshield (visual ability) and the dust it creates in the cab, better have a back enclosure if you run a full windshield, I would think about the glass w/ wiper and washer in the colder months and a shortie in the Summer months and take the rear enclosure off. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Backwoods and EMAW
EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can do all the homework you want.......(that’s what I did). Lol
I suggest the P1K5 (at times I wish I’d bought one instead of the P1K3). I really don’t think you will ever regret it! You will have all the power ..plus the locking difff’s !!!! There’s anything you want in aftermarket parts.
This is just my 2 cent worth!

H

HondaTech

The LE bumper bends just as easy as the Deluxe.

The LE aluminum slids will only be straight once. Then they'll never line up.

I4WD is just something else to go wrong

But on a good note. The LE paint does (in my experience) hold up better then the plastic.

If I bought a 1000, I'd get a base with no side panels at all and steel wheels. Because your going to put wheels and tires on anyway.

R

rickoshea

if you go doors,you also need a stereo of some sort.it gets noticeably louder inside with doors and a roof/rear panel.as for cab sealing,forget it.it's not a jeep.you can slow it down but you can't stop it.i closed mine in just to slow down the snow that gets in from my tracks and it still doesn't stop it completely.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!