P1000 Low range power issues

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought p1000-3 a couple weeks ago. Wanted the 2017 700 but was worried it would struggle with low end power so I went with the 1000.
It came with 28x10x14 motoboss tires. I put it to the test yesterday and was disappointed with the results. Rode for an hour with no issues turning tires well and having to let off the gas because of the mud flying. Then it started to bog down having trouble turning the tires going through the same holes I had been through 5 or 6 times. This is the second time this has happened. What could be the issue??
I use it mostly for hunting but I will go on a mud ride or 2. I didn't think I was pushing it to hard???

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What exactly was it doing?

Example:

With the same throttle position you had

-Same engine RPM but no tire RPM
-Engine RPM much higher but no tire RPM
-Engine RPM much lower but no tire RPM

Did it feel like you lost engine power or the engine power was the same and lost connection to the tires?

One could be something fuel/air related and the other could be clutch related.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Bought p1000-3 a couple weeks ago. Wanted the 2017 700 but was worried it would struggle with low end power so I went with the 1000.
It came with 28x10x14 motoboss tires. I put it to the test yesterday and was disappointed with the results. Rode for an hour with no issues turning tires well and having to let off the gas because of the mud flying. Then it started to bog down having trouble turning the tires going through the same holes I had been through 5 or 6 times. This is the second time this has happened. What could be the issue??
I use it mostly for hunting but I will go on a mud ride or 2. I didn't think I was pushing it to hard???
Try doing the same thing but in manual mode and keeping the r's up a bit.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What exactly was it doing?

Example:

With the same throttle position you had

-Same engine RPM but no tire RPM
-Engine RPM much higher but no tire RPM
-Engine RPM much lower but no tire RPM

Did it feel like you lost engine power or the engine power was the same and lost connection to the tires?

One could be something fuel/air related and the other could be clutch related.
Lost engine power. Would not build any Rpm. Like it was in to high of a gear

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure it was in low or did you get mud build up around the linkage on the sub transmission not letting it go to low?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Were you in manual mode like CP mentioned above or automatic?

Could it have been shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear while you were crossing and you not notice?
No , early in the ride it did shift to second and never stopped spinning wheels. It was like I was on two different bikes. This is the second time this happened. Last weekend it did the same thing and the oil light came on. Checked oil and it was good. I have put bikes in a way bigger bind than this in the past. I was just testing it out. As of now I would be scared to take it on a all day ride.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anything maybe choking the air flow off so you weren't developing the HP that you should? Like a bunch of mud behind the radiator blocking the air intake?

Reactions: cschomber63
H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you sure it was in low or did you get mud build up around the linkage on the sub transmission not letting it go to low?
Shift indicator on dash said L. The first time it happened mud was built up around linkage. So I thought that was the problem. That's why I went yesterday. Same thing though.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No , early in the ride it did shift to second and never stopped spinning wheels. It was like I was on two different bikes. This is the second time this happened. Last weekend it did the same thing and the oil light came on. Checked oil and it was good. I have put bikes in a way bigger bind than this in the past. I was just testing it out. As of now I would be scared to take it on a all day ride.

Ah, the oil pressure light.

Others have had this problem and it was a loose ground. Take your seat off and look under the rubber mat under the drivers seat and make sure that all your connections are tight and follow the wires to their termination point on the transmission and check them there too.

Also, on the oil level, you did follow the Honda procedure in the manual when checking the oil?

Not trying to insult you, but some people new to Honda make the assumption that Honda would be like every other manufacturer of engines in the world and have their dip sticks/procedure set up for a cold engine. I know I did when I first bought my Rincon back in 2007 and thought my oil was overfilled.:D Luckily I checked the manual before I drained the oil and ran it low.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree with Crow right there might be two places to at least check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Have you checked the air filter? Are you sucking some water down the intake?

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ah, the oil pressure light.

Others have had this problem and it was a loose ground. Take your seat off and look under the rubber mat under the drivers seat and make sure that all your connections are tight and follow the wires to their termination point on the transmission and check them there too.

Also, on the oil level, you did follow the Honda procedure in the manual when checking the oil?

Not trying to insult you, but some people new to Honda make the assumption that Honda would be like every other manufacturer of engines in the world and have their dip sticks/procedure set up for a cold engine. I know I did when I first bought my Rincon back in 2007 and thought my oil was overfilled.:D Luckily I checked the manual before I drained the oil and ran it low.
Yes checked oil wit warm engine. I haven't checked any wires so we may be on to something here. Thanks for the replies.

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This was last weekend when I had the issue for the first time. As you can see not stuck very bad. Tires would not spin and winch would not pull. Even worse my brother had to which me out with his ranger

Omg that is bad! I'm sorry to hear that it should've at least spun I'd sure think but maybe the r's weren't able to get up enough that's where a quick hard stab to the throttle is best but if tires don't spin at that point it's best to winch it out to save the clutches.
Horrible picture I really hate to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!