Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We use a dedicated channel (within the FRS spectrum) here on our N Alabama rides that only opens on our radios for us.

Helps a lot with reducing the “noise” on the FRS channels. Being able to monitor multiple channels you can keep one of the FRS channels with a higher squelch setting so only people close to you or with higher output radios can open the channel on your radio.

What you run your squelch on if you want to communicate with handheld?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What you run your squelch on if you want to communicate with handheld?

whatever it takes to hear them since they are right on you but not the handhelds further out...

I setup a few channels that have a squelch tone so only radios that transmit the squelch tone open the channel on my radio. They obviously also have to have that programmed for them to hear me. Everyone else can hear you but you can't hear anyone without that squelch tone.

I am going to change the freq to a public VHF frequency as they do travel further and get through trees and vegetation better than UHF. I didn't even take that into account but someone else pointed it out and reminded me.

Reactions: Windrock1000
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
whatever it takes to hear them since they are right on you but not the handhelds further out...

I setup a few channels that have a squelch tone so only radios that transmit the squelch tone open the channel on my radio. They obviously also have to have that programmed for them to hear me. Everyone else can hear you but you can't hear anyone without that squelch tone.

I am going to change the freq to a public VHF frequency as they do travel further and get through trees and vegetation better than UHF. I didn't even take that into account but someone else pointed it out and reminded me.
Seems to be consensus that vhf will travel further but I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on Google about vhf vs. UHF and which is better in woods.

For just the takeover what will be the easiest frequency for everyone to get on while still providing a reasonable range? Sounds like having a squelch code may exceed the ability of a lot of attendees....? When people show up with a handheld Motorola on gmrs (like I did at the overland lol) can they still participate? I remember I could hear a lot of people but they couldn't hear me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems to be consensus that vhf will travel further but I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on Google about vhf vs. UHF and which is better in woods.

For just the takeover what will be the easiest frequency for everyone to get on while still providing a reasonable range? Sounds like having a squelch code may exceed the ability of a lot of attendees....? When people show up with a handheld Motorola on gmrs (like I did at the overland lol) can they still participate? I remember I could hear a lot of people but they couldn't hear me.

Well let me confuse you some more lol

the FRS and GMRS radio's are UHF - MURS is VHF (not my words below in quotes)

"The quick answer is: choose VHF if you plan to only use the radios outdoors and in an area that is relatively free of obstructions, such as buildings. If you plan on using the radio indoors, both indoors and out, or outdoors but around buildings, choose UHF.​

UHF signals don't travel quite as far outdoors as VHF signals, but they do a better job of penetrating wood, steel, and concrete, giving you better range and performance in urban environments and around buildings. VHF signals travel farther, absent obstructions, and tend to "hug" the earth better, providing better performance outdoors or in hilly terrain."​

Here is how I see it. For riding in a group of people that is not spread out more than a mile a Handheld or HT will work fine. Most HT's allow you to set a code so that you only hear those transmissions that have the code embedded. if you don't have the code and are on the same frequency/channel you will hear them they just wont hear you.

Advantages of the HT are
  • Portable (can take down hill to scout and radio back)
  • Use of speaker mic - don't discount the ability to pull the speaker mic up to your ear to hear better in loud environments (just don't buy the Baofeng speaker mic - no one will understand you)
Advantages of Mobile:
  • Never have to charge or worry about internal battery
  • Audio can be turned up louder or use of external speaker
  • Multiple power levels (remember legal limit on FRS is max of 2W, Legal limit on MURS is also 2W)
A lot of the issues I observed with the handhelds can be traced to 2 factors
1. Use of crappy speaker mics that distort transmitted audio so bad that no one can understand. This lead to believe that it was a power level issue or that a louder system would solve for.

2. Poor Radio Etiquette - Many times someone (including myself) will transmit out something like "Hey watch out for xx" - the issue is that the transmission was not addressed to any one and not announced. It is always better to call out to the person you want to transmit to and wait for their response before proceeding.
Also nothing worse than a chatter box on the radio - someone who just talks and talks hogging up a group freq where it can not be used.​

Bottom line I don't think you need a mobile for takeover - if you want to stay informed and talk to your trail group- an HT should work fine - most HT's will also allow you to connect to external antennas as well.

J

JTW

"The quick answer is: choose VHF if you plan to only use the radios outdoors and in an area that is relatively free of obstructions, such as buildings. If you plan on using the radio indoors, both indoors and out, or outdoors but around buildings, choose UHF.​

UHF signals don't travel quite as far outdoors as VHF signals, but they do a better job of penetrating wood, steel, and concrete, giving you better range and performance in urban environments and around buildings. VHF signals travel farther, absent obstructions, and tend to "hug" the earth better, providing better performance outdoors or in hilly terrain."​

Here is how I see it. For riding in a group of people that is not spread out more than a mile a Handheld or HT will work fine. Most HT's allow you to set a code so that you only hear those transmissions that have the code embedded. if you don't have the code and are on the same frequency/channel you will hear them they just wont hear you.

Advantages of the HT are
  • Portable (can take down hill to scout and radio back)
  • Use of speaker mic - don't discount the ability to pull the speaker mic up to your ear to hear better in loud environments (just don't buy the Baofeng speaker mic - no one will understand you)
Advantages of Mobile:
  • Never have to charge or worry about internal battery
  • Audio can be turned up louder or use of external speaker
  • Multiple power levels (remember legal limit on FRS is max of 2W, Legal limit on MURS is also 2W)
A lot of the issues I observed with the handhelds can be traced to 2 factors
1. Use of crappy speaker mics that distort transmitted audio so bad that no one can understand. This lead to believe that it was a power level issue or that a louder system would solve for.

2. Poor Radio Etiquette - Many times someone (including myself) will transmit out something like "Hey watch out for xx" - the issue is that the transmission was not addressed to any one and not announced. It is always better to call out to the person you want to transmit to and wait for their response before proceeding.
Also nothing worse than a chatter box on the radio - someone who just talks and talks hogging up a group freq where it can not be used.​

Bottom line I don't think you need a mobile for takeover - if you want to stay informed and talk to your trail group- an HT should work fine - most HT's will also allow you to connect to external antennas as well.
So no crickets on the radio??

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The csv file I linked to has all theFRS/GMRS/MURS channels programmed in

With those you can talk to the cheap Walmart radios. Problem is they generally don’t have the power to be heard.

That’s what I ran into with the uv-5R and crappy mic, I had for the Overland.

Why I upgraded to UV-25X4

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

This is what I read on "The google" and it seems somewhat contradictory and confusing.

I had a cheap Motorola hand held at the overland and I could hear people, they just couldn't hear me. Ohana had a nicer one and he had the same issue. it was VERY frustrating to say the least. I think I'll get what Nick bought and mount it in the SXS if you guys are all happy with it. We can test them out at the March ride.

"Multiple power levels (remember legal limit on FRS is max of 2W, Legal limit on MURS is also 2W"

P.S. I've never been much of a rule follower. I'm more of a do what it takes to make it work kinda guy. Rules are just suggestions.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I read on "The google" and it seems somewhat contradictory and confusing.

I had a cheap Motorola hand held at the overland and I could hear people, they just couldn't hear me. Ohana had a nicer one and he had the same issue. it was VERY frustrating to say the least. I think I'll get what Nick bought and mount it in the SXS if you guys are all happy with it. We can test them out at the March ride.

"Multiple power levels (remember legal limit on FRS is max of 2W, Legal limit on MURS is also 2W"

P.S. I've never been much of a rule follower. I'm more of a do what it takes to make it work kinda guy. Rules are just suggestions.

Yeah mine was just a handheld at the time.

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The csv file I linked to has all theFRS/GMRS/MURS channels programmed in

With those you can talk to the cheap Walmart radios. Problem is they generally don’t have the power to be heard.

That’s what I ran into with the uv-5R and crappy mic, I had for the Overland.

Why I upgraded to UV-25X4

I must've missed the CSV file. I had the same problem at the overland.

What are your thoughts on the new 25x4? Does it have a better mic than some of the other baofeng?

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m always creeping around. Don’t worry about my thread. It’s full of useless information. Your valuable stuff is going to class up the joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How's the hair? HA!

advertisement