P1000 New Fox shocks on, but . . .

J

JTW

No good reason, I guess if iam going to do it I may as well go ahead and do the A-arms and go with the 30'' Evo's, I have 27'' Evo's on my pioneer now and love them, I am just reluctant to change A-arms not knowing what other problems they may cause if any, do they create any issues with stock axles and such, and what brand A-arm do You recommend Super ATV or another? I am not going to do any lift and would never go any larger than 30'' tires, I do not haul any heavy wieght just me and wife and the dog small cooler and a few tools, I do not ride hard or fast just slow to medium speed on trails in Kentucky Red River Gorge and Harlan Ky. areas mostly, Looking to smooth ride out a little on rocky or rough trails,, I am a sightseer not a dare devil,,, Thank You Very Much,,,
View attachment 159545
If you want a better ride... 28’s on 12’s or 30’s on 14’s..

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No good reason, I guess if iam going to do it I may as well go ahead and do the A-arms and go with the 30'' Evo's, I have 27'' Evo's on my pioneer now and love them, I am just reluctant to change A-arms not knowing what other problems they may cause if any, do they create any issues with stock axles and such, and what brand A-arm do You recommend Super ATV or another? I am not going to do any lift and would never go any larger than 30'' tires, I do not haul any heavy wieght just me and wife and the dog small cooler and a few tools, I do not ride hard or fast just slow to medium speed on trails in Kentucky Red River Gorge and Harlan Ky. areas mostly, Looking to smooth ride out a little on rocky or rough trails,, I am a sightseer not a dare devil,,, Thank You Very Much,,,
View attachment 159545

Super ATV is what I recommend. Make sure you have the bolts extremely tight so that they do not come loose and widen the holes on the frame. That is happened to some of us but it’s probably due to harsh riding conditions.

The 30” EVOs are light and run short. No lift needed. You also don’t need the steering stops so you retain original turning radius. You could run 30x10-12 in the EVOs. I rode with a guy with that setup and it rode like a Cadillac.

If you get the aftermarket a arms, contact one of us during the install so we can show you some pictures on where to attach the brake line. It has been known to get pinched by the tire rod so we can prevent that from happening to you.

During the install of the a arms you will need to reuse your old ball joints or just purchased new ones so you don’t have to press the old ones out.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Super ATV is what I recommend. Make sure you have the bolts extremely tight so that they do not come loose and widen the holes on the frame. That is happened to some of us but it’s probably due to harsh riding conditions.

The 30” EVOs are light and run short. No lift needed. You also don’t need the steering stops so you retain original turning radius. You could run 30x10-12 in the EVOs. I rode with a guy with that setup and it rode like a Cadillac.

If you get the aftermarket a arms, contact one of us during the install so we can show you some pictures on where to attach the brake line. It has been known to get pinched by the tire rod so we can prevent that from happening to you.

During the install of the a arms you will need to reuse your old ball joints or just purchased new ones so you don’t have to press the old ones out.

Ok Sound`s Good, May be getting back with You-All sometime this winter, at one time I did think about the 30x10-12 that JTW recommends and that does sound like a very good option but I would have to buy new rims anyway I want beadlocks so I can lower my air pressure if I am going to do that I may as well go to 14`s Thank You All ,,,

Reactions: joeymt33
J

JTW

Ok Sound`s Good, May be getting back with You-All sometime this winter, at one time I did think about the 30x10-12 that JTW recommends and that does sound like a very good option but I would have to buy new rims anyway I want beadlocks so I can lower my air pressure if I am going to do that I may as well go to 14`s Thank You All ,,,
No.. I said 30’s on 14’s and 28’s on 12’s.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No.. I said 30’s on 14’s and 28’s on 12’s.

Sorry, Yes You are correct, I did read threads on the berserker tires with 12" rims but I would still need to buy new rims because I want to go to all the same size and I want beadlocks, I have read lots of post on this forum for the last couple years and You All have been very helpful, I need to do something to help me keep up with all these RZR's where we ride we very rarely ever see a pioneer,Thank You,,
IMG 20190916 095101 01

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m going to suggest 28” berserkers on 12’s with 5+2 STI original beadlocks and fox shocks.

That’s a real good combination if you’re riding hard pack and rocks all the time. The EVOs would be a good choice for him if he sees a lot of mud.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s a real good combination if you’re riding hard pack and rocks all the time. The EVOs would be a good choice for him if he sees a lot of mud.

Ok, just to run this by You to see what You think,, I am shure the Berserker tires are very good but I really like the EVO's because I do encounter Mud what about 28x10R12 EVO's on 12" sti beadlocks with spacers and fox shocks would I still have to change A-arms with this combo???? if I could just gain a small bit of clearance and improve my ride I would be happy with that, not really crazy about changing A-arm,,,, is there any significant difference in Fox shock and Walker Evans I Know the WE are a little more price wise but not a great deal more is it worth the extra $4 or $5 hundred for WE, Thank You,,,

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Ok, just to run this by You to see what You think,, I am shure the Berserker tires are very good but I really like the EVO's because I do encounter Mud what about 28x10R12 EVO's on 12" sti beadlocks with spacers and fox shocks would I still have to change A-arms with this combo???? if I could just gain a small bit of clearance and improve my ride I would be happy with that, not really crazy about changing A-arm,,,, is there any significant difference in Fox shock and Walker Evans I Know the WE are a little more price wise but not a great deal more is it worth the extra $4 or $5 hundred for WE, Thank You,,,
You won't need aftermarket A-Arms if you go with 28" Evo's.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

No a-arms needed as he mentioned.

That would be a good combo. Could even do 28x11 for the rear.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone replaced the Fox QS3 rear springs, and if so, what spring rate? The Fox progressive springs bind at the top, empty with 1.5" preload and only the bed extender and spare tire. The binding isn't an issue, so long as there is not so much preload that the entire spring can bind. But the upper spring binding negates the benefit of a progressive spring, I think. The QS3 rear spring free length is 15.25" with a progressive rate of 187-350# for the 1000-5. Shock stroke is 6.1". I don't know the spring travel length, but I think I'd have to get toward 3" of preload to bind the whole spring--a no no. If anyone cares, the Fox rear shock part number is 52400-HL4-M41 laser etched onto the bottom mount.

So, I'd guess the starting spring rate on my wagon is probably over 300# and quickly goes to 350# under any compression. I am considering trying 14" 350# linear rate springs to get it over 12" ground clearance, by my measurement,without so much preload, and to help keep from bottoming under load. BTW, the machine rides sooo much better with the Fox's! Probably wasting my time/$ with new springs, but hey, it is what it is.

Side note: When I put the 1/2" FactoryUTV skid on last week I was amazed at the dings to the frame, tubes under the doors, missing OEM skid bolt, etc. I knew I had bottomed a few times crawling over rocks, but was surprised at the dings and how close the oil pans are to the skids. This is another reason for stiffer shocks. 2018 1000-5 deluxe with 600 miles.

Reactions: farmtimpioneer
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Has anyone replaced the Fox QS3 rear springs, and if so, what spring rate? The Fox progressive springs bind at the top, empty with 1.5" preload and only the bed extender and spare tire. The binding isn't an issue, so long as there is not so much preload that the entire spring can bind. But the upper spring binding negates the benefit of a progressive spring, I think. The QS3 rear spring free length is 15.25" with a progressive rate of 187-350# for the 1000-5. Shock stroke is 6.1". I don't know the spring travel length, but I think I'd have to get toward 3" of preload to bind the whole spring--a no no. If anyone cares, the Fox rear shock part number is 52400-HL4-M41 laser etched onto the bottom mount.

So, I'd guess the starting spring rate on my wagon is probably over 300# and quickly goes to 350# under any compression. I am considering trying 14" 350# linear rate springs to get it over 12" ground clearance, by my measurement,without so much preload, and to help keep from bottoming under load. BTW, the machine rides sooo much better with the Fox's! Probably wasting my time/$ with new springs, but hey, it is what it is.

Side note: When I put the 1/2" FactoryUTV skid on last week I was amazed at the dings to the frame, tubes under the doors, missing OEM skid bolt, etc. I knew I had bottomed a few times crawling over rocks, but was surprised at the dings and how close the oil pans are to the skids. This is another reason for stiffer shocks. 2018 1000-5 deluxe with 600 miles.
Ya a bunch of guys have swapped out the springs. They’ll post up soon I’m sure but 275-300 on 14” is the most common for rears. Going lighter.
After talking with some members I’ve settled in on what I think is good for us and pulled the trigger myself on all 4 springs. The rears will be 320 at 15”

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya a bunch of guys have swapped out the springs. They’ll post up soon I’m sure but 275-300 on 14” is the most common for rears. Going lighter.
After talking with some members I’ve settled in on what I think is good for us and pulled the trigger myself on all 4 springs. The rears will be 320 at 15”

Ok I need some professional advice from a seasoned veteran, I am still green on this subject of fox shocks, I am getting ready to order a set of fox shocks and need to know do I or can I order shocks with the spring rate needed without ordering springs after the fact, if that be the case then given Your knowledge of the different springs if You where Me what would You order, I have a stock 10003 eps it is usually me and the wife and the dog Max, riding hard pack and rocky trails in Kentucky mostly some mud, I do not ride hard or fast and usually not much cargo just a small cooler and some tools in a milk crate , would appreciate any advice it at the very least would give me a good starting point,,,
IMG 20180721 120919600

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok I need some professional advice from a seasoned veteran, I am still green on this subject of fox shocks, I am getting ready to order a set of fox shocks and need to know do I or can I order shocks with the spring rate needed without ordering springs after the fact, if that be the case then given Your knowledge of the different springs if You where Me what would You order, I have a stock 10003 eps it is usually me and the wife and the dog Max, riding hard pack and rocky trails in Kentucky mostly some mud, I do not ride hard or fast and usually not much cargo just a small cooler and some tools in a milk crate , would appreciate any advice it at the very least would give me a good starting point,,,
View attachment 161653
I see you have the 3 seater and that does come with the lighter spring package. Like that color btw.
It was @Cuoutdoors that came up with the spring numbers on that one so maybe he’ll be of more assistance. My buddy accidentally bought Pioneer 1000-3 shocks for his 5-seat and I will say it was a better ride.
IMHO buy the shocks (it’s so much better ride) and see what you think. There are other ways to cushion the ride as well. Lower air pressure, taller tires and a big one is removable of the rear sway bar. But I’d feel it out and see what you think first. For most upgrades you loose something in another area so make damn sure it’s what’s needed for you.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I see you have the 3 seater and that does come with the lighter spring package. Like that color btw.
It was @Cuoutdoors that came up with the spring numbers on that one so maybe he’ll be of more assistance. My buddy accidentally bought Pioneer 1000-3 shocks for his 5-seat and I will say it was a better ride.
IMHO buy the shocks (it’s so much better ride) and see what you think. There are other ways to cushion the ride as well. Lower air pressure, taller tires and a big one is removable of the rear sway bar. But I’d feel it out and see what you think first. For most upgrades you loose something in another area so make damn sure it’s what’s needed for you.
Thanks, I am going to get rims and tires also, I think I am going with 14 " beadlock rims and go with 28" EVO'S for now if i like that i will probably stay there but by going with 14" rim if in the future I want to go with 30" then i could do that with A-arms i just really do not want to change my stock arms, just like You said seems like when you change one thing it causes problems some where else, Thank You Very much I do appreciate some one who has been down the road before me and willing to give advice or a warning. Thanks,

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You won't need aftermarket A-Arms if you go with 28" Evo's.
Hello, I just would like to confirm something with You if You don't mind, I read a thread somewhere on hear where You run 28X10X14 Blackwater Evo's with 1'' off set in rear is that with stock a arms no lift ??? that is what I have decided that i am going to order this stuff very soon, 14'' STI Hd 9 beadlocks 4/137 5.0 +2.0, 28x10x14 Evo's, 1'' spacer from RB3, and Fox shocks, my machine is stock 10003 eps I do have trail armor skid plate will this work???? Thank You,,,

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Hello, I just would like to confirm something with You if You don't mind, I read a thread somewhere on hear where You run 28X10X14 Blackwater Evo's with 1'' off set in rear is that with stock a arms no lift ??? that is what I have decided that i am going to order this stuff very soon, 14'' STI Hd 9 beadlocks 4/137 5.0 +2.0, 28x10x14 Evo's, 1'' spacer from RB3, and Fox shocks, my machine is stock 10003 eps I do have trail armor skid plate will this work???? Thank You,,,
No lift or forward A-Arms. That is exactly what I run with the exception of the Trail Armor skid. You may have to trim a little off the skid plate where it wraps up into the wheel well. I think you'll like the setup! Make sure you order the Fox rears for the 3-Seater, they are different than the 5-seater (I think they are valved different or may just be a different spring rate?).

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I am going to get rims and tires also, I think I am going with 14 " beadlock rims and go with 28" EVO'S for now if i like that i will probably stay there but by going with 14" rim if in the future I want to go with 30" then i could do that with A-arms i just really do not want to change my stock arms, just like You said seems like when you change one thing it causes problems some where else, Thank You Very much I do appreciate some one who has been down the road before me and willing to give advice or a warning. Thanks,
If you think you need a stiffer spring, like I am thinking for mine, you could probably order the 1000-5 shocks for your 1000-3. Spring rate details here: P1000 - Fox shock preload Mine rides great with the Fox shocks, and most everyone else says the same. The 3 compression adjustment settings are all I need for forest roads and rocky trails. I just have an issue with the design where the rear spring upper lower-rate coils bind. Fronts are perfect. I guess I'll' increase the rear preload a little more and re-worry the springs next year when I go with larger tires. That's all I have to say about that.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
This is how it sits with 10 psi in the tires and stock pre-load. I'll gain some lift out of the shocks when I get around to cranking in some pre-load:

FKS8kiJDB QCB rOuBOlhtEfzyd4 XJz yj8L6tLOc 1yOUC3u4JOddWjDPdQrjhw0UJevePajdybDu8h4w1250 h937 no

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!