New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I pulled the air filter with ~400 miles (700km) on it just to check, and it is dirty so i'll replace it, but had I of not pulled it I would have no problems running it to about 600 miles (1000km). ~60 bucks every 1000km is fine with me. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. The Polaris I had went through filters in about the same time frame. They were about 10 bucks cheaper, but not a big deal.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a very narrow squeeze between the corner of the garage and cement retaining wall, my intended parking location. This restriction limited me to an 80" trailer width. That limitation puts the centerline of the tires just inside the fenders, the wood steps - 1. keep me from crushing the fenders (they're quite well built but I don't think they're up the the Talon's weight). 2. they give me a better 'purchase' going over, so I don't drop one tire or the other off a fender. 3. Yep, it's steep and takes a heavy foot in low range to get the lift started. I hope this doesn't shorten my clutch life 'too much'. There are loading situations where I have to pull up tight to the wood, so I can't make that angle more gentle.

I haven't tried to put the trailer along the garage yet, it's too tight (2" to spare and the downspout needs to be relocated first) and I don't want such an expensive toy rotting in the sun so it's taken priority over the van.
I like the ingenuity and making what you have work attitude.

Reactions: CID
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pulled the air filter with ~400 miles (700km) on it just to check, and it is dirty so i'll replace it, but had I of not pulled it I would have no problems running it to about 600 miles (1000km). ~60 bucks every 1000km is fine with me. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. The Polaris I had went through filters in about the same time frame. They were about 10 bucks cheaper, but not a big deal.

That would be 10 cents per mile, every mile. That is just the filter. Then there is oil and filter, tires, bearings, ball joints. I don't mind these other expenses. But 10 cents a mile for an air filter? Ridiculous. I will be doing something different. I want to ride. Not roll into the garage and change filters time after time.

Reactions: Scoop
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
That would be 10 cents per mile, every mile. That is just the filter. Then there is oil and filter, tires, bearings, ball joints. I don't mind these other expenses. But 10 cents a mile for an air filter? Ridiculous. I will be doing something different. I want to ride. Not roll into the garage and change filters time after time.

You're right, but break down the cost of a side by side in general, the $ per mile is nuts.

A particle separator in Canada is $534. With a install, about $600. That's 10 air filters, which is 10,000km (6000 miles). I guarantee I won't own the Talon for 5000km, let alone 10,000. I'll probably own it for 3000-4000km. (~2000-2500 miles), which is 3-4 filters, at 60 bucks each. $180-240, vs $600. I know what i'm doing.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor. Access is between the seat and airbox, if you're bendy, it may be removeable without removing the rear firewall, maybe ...

I f3LTG7J XL

The IAT sensor and its plug, push the green circled pad to release, photo thanks to Hondasxs hisself. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is this an FYI or has this been a maintenance problem?
It's just an FYI from a question asked on another thread. 👍 When I learn something, I pass it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: SL1kr
B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
For a 250 pound tongue weight, this is where my Talon sits on the Echo Elite 14' trailer (which has a 125 pound TW empty). Tongue weight should be 12-15% of total trailer weight, I'm right at 2500 pounds - Talon + trailer. Your Talon will be similar. I'm a little light at 250 pounds because the RV has a 350 pound rated hitch and I wanted a cushion - luckily it tows with no swaying, the giveaway that I'm light on TW. This will change when I add the bed extender and spare hanging off the back, I'll post that photo when I have it.

View attachment 228466

Adding two spares and a bed extender for solo desert exploration plus a storage box full of 'stuff' added about 200 pounds to the rear of the Talon. Setting it to the same 250 pound tongue weight only moved it forward 2-3". (the red one was stolen, recovered and heavily damaged, this is it's replacement)
View attachment 242726
Did you have insurance?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you have insurance?
Ironically, it was stolen while at the dealership for a leaking differential seal; they covered everything on their dime (as they should have). Trying to explain it to my insurance was comical - "No, you won't be involved, I'll call you with the new VIN." "Huh?" There's a thread in the Pub with details (and sailor level cussing) - "They Stole My Talon"

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was greasing my rear wheel bearings yesterday and took the opportunity to grease the trailing arm ball joint as well. I'm not aware that this is something that needs to be looked out for, just sharing the info here.

I cant remember where I got this grease injector needle but this is a good use for it. CA Tech wheel bearing grease tool on the right.

View attachment 242285

Since I had the rear knuckle off to grease the wheel bearings, it was easy enough to slide the greasing needle under the ball joint boot.

View attachment 242286

View attachment 242287

I gave it a few pumps of grease and worked it around by pushing on the boot, then wiped away any excess grease.

View attachment 242288

Now I don't have to worry/wonder if those ball joints are sufficiently greased.
I did that on the front tie rod ends and it push the top cover off .

L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you for the information. It's quite valuable to new Talon owners. For instance, I just checked my sub-transmission oil, and whaddya know -- not registering on the dipstick. I ended up adding about 1/4 - 1/2 quart of oil to bring it to proper levels. I also checked my air filter (my ride has 278 miles on it now) and thankfully the rubber gasket was in place properly, and the intakes were completely devoid of any dust. As I do live in Arizona, we all know that dust is a big deal here.

On a related note, I ordered the suggested Uni-Filter. However, I'm thinking of just taking out the honda supplied intake "dust hat" system and simply cutting it at an adequate spot where I can mount the whole assembly including the Uni-Filter in the factory OEM location. I'm not really interested in cutting holes in my Talon but figured that the Uni-Filter in place of the dust hat would be a much better solution, for me.

Does anyone foresee any issues with this given that some of you have already modified your Talons?

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
On a related note, I ordered the suggested Uni-Filter. However, I'm thinking of just taking out the honda supplied intake "dust hat" system and simply cutting it at an adequate spot where I can mount the whole assembly including the Uni-Filter in the factory OEM location. I'm not really interested in cutting holes in my Talon but figured that the Uni-Filter in place of the dust hat would be a much better solution, for me.

Does anyone foresee any issues with this given that some of you have already modified your Talons?

I can fully understand not wanting to cut anything on your Talon. The only issue I see with placing a prefilter directly onto the intake is accessibility. You can purchase all the parts you need for a bolt on solution without cutting anything. More info in this thread.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2021 Talon and worth noting that my Sub Transmission was low about 1/4 - 1/2 quart to the point that the oil didn't even register on the dipstick. I also checked my air filter assembly and everything appears to be assembled correctly, including the gasket. The intake horns were completely dust-free after 294 miles. Perhaps Honda is paying more attention to these items now?

Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
My shifter on my 2021 is different than yours in the video? Was that there way to correct it?

J

JWM1000-5

Dec 4, 2017
Calhoun, Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another issue Lil_Steve brought to my attention is Honda's inexplicable reason for leaving the rear wheel wells open to the cab. These openings are directly in front of our rear tires and all y'all know how much doo doo rear tires throw forward.

Left -
View attachment 184014

Right -
View attachment 184015

Mudbusters makes a pretty good solution.

Left -
View attachment 184016

Right -
View attachment 184017
Anyone install the Mudbusters with nerf bars?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!