Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You know why ford is the only one with an aluminum body?? Because the others rust away before they can be worn out. Hence the s*** brown!
Aluminum is normally good but we’ve seen a lot of the Fords corroding already, especially Expedition and Mustang hoods and Explorer gates but as things get older we will see more in the shop. Not sure if the aluminum is dirty or what. Its happening quicker then steel is rusting on many.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Aluminum is normally good but we’ve seen a lot of the Fords corroding already, especially Expedition and Mustang hoods and Explorer gates but as things get older we will see more in the shop. Not sure if the aluminum is dirty or what. Its happening quicker then steel is rusting on many.
If they are wrecked they are very expensive to fix and require tools that many shops don’t have so they tend to either get lots of new parts or total out much quicker, not to mension Ford standard procedure on aluminum boxside replacement is now large pop rivets. Same hit doesn’t take the abuse steel does on body. Also have seen some dash fires from F-series and that makes a mess with aluminum.
This is
Semis have been running aluminum for years.. the body shop repair cost is a lame excuse. A minor fender bender and deductibles are met. I know aluminum isn’t as forgiving to repair as steel but so what. It’s lighter and doesn’t rust. Corrosion issues? That’s odd.. but not like it doesn’t happen with steel. How many random paint issues have you seen on various makes over the years? As much as new trucks cost regardless of make.. they should hold up but the way the fenders, rockers are spot welded steel trucks and impossible to clean.. its just a ticking time bomb before they start rusting out. Aluminum doesn’t do that.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Semis have been running aluminum for years.. the body shop repair cost is a lame excuse. A minor fender bender and deductibles are met. I know aluminum isn’t as forgiving to repair as steel but so what. It’s lighter and doesn’t rust. Corrosion issues? That’s odd.. but not like it doesn’t happen with steel. How many random paint issues have you seen on various makes over the years? As much as new trucks cost regardless of make.. they should hold up but the way the fenders, rockers are spot welded steel trucks and impossible to clean.. its just a ticking time bomb before they start rusting out. Aluminum doesn’t do that.

They both oxidize, rust is oxidation, BUT aluminum, especially if it is prepared correctly doesn't oxidize as freely as the various compositions of steel do. Aluminum's surface oxidation somewhat slows further oxidation, steel will keep oxidizing as long as oxygen is present in some form. Aluminum is much more resistant to salt catalyzed oxidation.

Time marches on and it is a friend to no man.

J

JTW

They both oxidize, rust is oxidation, BUT aluminum, especially if it is prepared correctly doesn't oxidize as freely as the various compositions of steel do. Aluminum's surface oxidation somewhat slows further oxidation, steel will keep oxidizing as long as oxygen is present in some form. Aluminum is much more resistant to salt catalyzed oxidation.

Time marches on and it is a friend to no man.
I understand that but there is really no comparison.. it’s like a rock compared to a dirt clod once exposed to the elements. The paint may come off an aluminum truck but it won’t develop holes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I understand that but there is really no comparison.. it’s like a rock compared to a dirt clod once exposed to the elements. The paint may come off an aluminum truck but it won’t develop holes.
It will and does. Ford has been the worst with aluminum from all I’ve seen. Not sure if not enough zinc added or improper materials but it’s been a major problem much more so then steel lately. Im just saying what I’ve seen from the 100+ cars a week that come into the shop
CBC4267A FDF4 4709 9437 8EC58E47C781

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The processes that steel auto bodies go through during manufacturing nowadays and finishing improvements virtually eliminate rust. I've yet to see a 2000 YM or newer American brand vehicle with rust. Believe it or not, the Japanese makers have some catching up to do.

J

JTW

The processes that steel auto bodies go through during manufacturing nowadays and finishing improvements virtually eliminate rust. I've yet to see a 2000 YM or newer American brand vehicle with rust. Believe it or not, the Japanese makers have some catching up to do.
What?? Have you never looked at a dodge’s rear fenders? Or Chevy rocker panel? They rust from the inside out.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What?? Have you never looked at a dodge’s rear fenders? Or Chevy rocker panel? They rust from the inside out.
In the 1970's, yes, there were major rust problems with Chevy. But they got that worked out a couple decades ago!

J

JTW

It will and does. Ford has been the worst with aluminum from all I’ve seen. Not sure if not enough zinc added or improper materials but it’s been a major problem much more so then steel lately. Im just saying what I’ve seen from the 100+ cars a week that come into the shop
View attachment 84133
I haven’t seen that or even heard of it around here.. I wonder if it’s a road chemical issue or a plant issue?

J

JTW

In the 1970's, yes, there were major rust problems with Chevy. But they got that worked out a couple decades ago!
Uhhh, No they haven’t.. do a quick google image search. Tell that to my buddies with iron colored rocker graphics. I can think of a dozen trucks just off the top of my head.

As for dodge.. I had a 07 that was starting to bubble on the rear fenders before I bought my new truck. Look around and you’ll see lots of them with the same issue. 10 year old trucks with gaping holes below the doors, up the rear cab sides and bed side fenders.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I haven’t seen that or even heard of it around here.. I wonder if it’s a road chemical issue or a plant issue?
Not totally sure. We do run salt on roads here so that’s a good possibility. At any rate it has been effecting aluminum but not the steel. I don’t remember last time we fixed rust but we get at least a couple corroded Fords a month and some really bad where it traveled way up the underside on newer rigs and replacement of the part is the only option. Most of the cars that come to us are 6yrs or newer

Reactions: 0860silverado
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The processes that steel auto bodies go through during manufacturing and finishing virtually eliminate rust. I've yet to see a 2000 YM or newer American brand vehicle with rust. Believe it or not, the Japanese makers have some catching up to do.

I wish I could just take a picture of my 2014 Chevy ALL exposed body fasteners were rusted. The bed rails were rusted where the seam is on the inside. All the steel under the hood looked like a 30year old C10, the chrome bumpers had started to rust at the edges, the aluminum wheels had started to corrode, all at less than 5,000miles. I cleaned the bed rails and had a spray in bed liner. I gave up on the body fasteners. It was supposed to have the rubberized undercoat, but underneath it looked like I lived in the great white north, the drivetrain looked 30years old with the rust on it, The bumpers were replaced on my insurance when someone rear ended me,(added a comp claim to the deal), the rest is gone to some poor sap that CarMax sells it to.

This was basically a mall crawler it got used off-road when it needed to (Pioneer is main off-road vehicle) and spent sometime in 4WD when I needed it but it was a crew used primarily for towing and hauling.

Chevy accused me of traveling to where salt was prevalent, I said I had never been north of TN with it, their response was that “exposure humid salt laden Gulf coast air could cause metal to corrode and is not covered by warranty”

All of the guys at the office have all ditched their GMs in favor of Ford, Toyota, and Dodge in that order (the Rams are both 3500 DRW, the rest are 150 class trucks) I’m calling BS on Gov Motors , the rest y’all can argue about but after my last decade of experience with GM, Acura, and Ford; you can’t convince me GM is anything other that a General POS.

Reactions: Backwoods and JTW
J

JTW

Not totally sure. We do run salt on roads here so that’s a good possibility. At any rate it has been effecting aluminum but not the steel. I don’t remember last time we fixed rust but we get at least a couple corroded Fords a month and some really bad where it traveled way up the underside on newer rigs and replacement of the part is the only option. Most of the cars that come to us are 6yrs or newer
We use salt as well.. obviously don’t have the same kind of winters. We have a ford truck plant 75 miles form here. Sounds like dirty aluminum if it’s localized to certain parts.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the red or the camo plastic on a pioneer want rust that's what we are trying to decide here what color pioneer to buy

Ha....Nice segway

Get the red, cheaper up front, cheaper to replace IF you tear something up, and you always wrap or Plastidip it whatever color you want that week.

J

JTW

I wish I could just take a picture of my 2014 Chevy ALL exposed body fasteners were rusted. The bed rails were rusted where the seam is on the inside. All the steel under the hood looked like a 30year old C10, the chrome bumpers had started to rust at the edges, the aluminum wheels had started to corrode, all at less than 5,000miles. I cleaned the bed rails and had a spray in bed liner. I gave up on the body fasteners. It was supposed to have the rubberized undercoat, but underneath it looked like I lived in the great white north, the drivetrain looked 30years old with the rust on it, The bumpers were replaced on my insurance when someone rear ended me,(added a comp claim to the deal), the rest is gone to some poor sap that CarMax sells it to.

This was basically a mall crawler it got used off-road when it needed to (Pioneer is main off-road vehicle) and spent sometime in 4WD when I needed it but it was a crew used primarily for towing and hauling.

Chevy accused me of traveling to where salt was prevalent, I said I had never been north of TN with it, their response was that “exposure humid salt laden Gulf coast air could cause metal to corrode and is not covered by warranty”

All of the guys at the office have all ditched their GMs in favor of Ford, Toyota, and Dodge in that order (the Rams are both 3500 DRW, the rest are 150 class trucks) I’m calling BS on Gov Motors , the rest y’all can argue about but after my last decade of experience with GM, Acura, and Ford; you can’t convince me GM is anything other that a General POS.
Yep.. I’m no fan boy of any manufacturer. I just want a good truck. I liked my dodge and I like my f150.. the Silverado I currently have is my least favorite of all. But the reality is I don’t have to worry about what the f150 body will look like in 10 years vs the others you will!

Reactions: Backwoods and BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well the red or the camo plastic on a pioneer want rust that's what we are trying to decide here what color pioneer to buy
Fair enough that should’ve been for another thread. Truck talk always gets long.
Still say red or at least something small in red maybe even just a keychain. Honda runs red:)

Reactions: BWAF and Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!