BOX1

P1000 Overheating Hot Topic! - Issues, Problems, Solutions and more problems.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank You, I am Hopeful that Honda will come up with a viable fix for this problem in a timely manner ,

Reactions: Tim Barnes
H

HondaTech

I've done some looking into the wiring harness that relates to fan control module. It seems it gets its power through he Fan fuse, which in turn gets power through the fuel pump relay.

Maybe this could have something to do with the fan not operating at certain times. If I had the time I'd like to back probe some wires when this situation arises to see what's happening.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
as for AZ 4 time or 30 days in the shop this is the 2nd time for the same problem and counting. The problem is every time this thing over heats how mush damage is it doing to the motor for long life of the motor that's the problem!!!!!!!!!!

Heat takes away Long Life of motor.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Most lemons laws involve the machine being out of commission for more than a 30 day period straight. Or if the shop has failed to repair the same issue after 3 times.

Each state varies.

Like has been shown, Honda is aware of this issue and is most likely working on a fix. But its hard to track down an issue that's not always present and doesn't seem to affect every unit.

Then where is the fix!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Then where is the fix!
Perry, I am just curious what model and year is Your machine , mine is a 2017 purchased in sept. 2017 1000 eps 3 seater,,, if we could compile a list of all machines affected maybe would help to narrow down the problem???????

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Perry, I am just curious what model and year is Your machine , mine is a 2017 purchased in sept. 2017 1000 eps 3 seater,,, if we could compile a list of all machines affected maybe would help to narrow down the problem???????

Mine is a 2018 1000 5 D what i have experience is overheating for no reason just riding and it is under no load of any kind but just over heats. [email protected] is my email Taking Mine to the shop for 2nd trip for the same thing.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've done some looking into the wiring harness that relates to fan control module. It seems it gets its power through he Fan fuse, which in turn gets power through the fuel pump relay.

Maybe this could have something to do with the fan not operating at certain times. If I had the time I'd like to back probe some wires when this situation arises to see what's happening.
Hello, according to the diagram that I have if I am reading it correctly, there are 2 brown wires one goes to fuel pump and the other goes to fuel pump relay they are both on the power side of Fan fuse then goes thru 15 amp fuse and red and yellow wire go to fan control, I am not a electrical engineer but i do know a bit about automotive electronics that seams a little strange the way all that is wired up with fuel pump and all, You may be onto something there, Thank You for Your input and help,,,,,

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine is a 2018 1000 5 D what i have experience is overheating for no reason just riding and it is under no load of any kind but just over heats. [email protected] is my email Taking Mine to the shop for 2nd trip for the same thing.
Did You ever determine if when it over heats is the fan not working, Mine will just out of the blue for no reason cooling fan stop working and the it will start to over heat, I had to put in a over ride switch so i could manually send power to fan so engine would not overheat,,,,

Reactions: perry
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did You ever determine if when it over heats is the fan not working, Mine will just out of the blue for no reason cooling fan stop working and the it will start to over heat, I had to put in a over ride switch so i could manually send power to fan so engine would not overheat,,,,
I was just about to mention the fan override. Did this help yours?

We are working on building plug-n-play kits for a fan override. Expect them to be ready next week.
But doing it yourself is not that difficult.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was just about to mention the fan override. Did this help yours?

We are working on building plug-n-play kits for a fan override. Expect them to be ready next week.
But doing it yourself is not that difficult.
Hello, it worked for me, it helps me to keep machine from overheating but I have to watch temp gauge all the time when it looks like it might overheat 3 bars plus I switch on the over ride till I can shut it down and restart then when I restart it usually always in the past start working again?? I used a double pole double through rocker switch , the blue and green wires going to the fan control module under the seat on the driver side, tap into blue and green wire on mine these two wires go directly to fan, put these two wires in the center of switch blue is 12v and green is ground, run 12v supply and a good ground to one side of switch and on the other side of switch green and blue wire back to fan control mod. , switch one way and you manually power fan switch other way and fan control module works as per factory, I have not had any issues with this seams to work good at least for me, at least now I can control it and keep engine from overheating,,, Thank You ,,,

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went much simpler on the over ride switch. I installed a mictuning engine fan switch in my switch plate and pulled power from my fuse panel. I then sent 12v + from the switch out to the fan and used a posi tap into the blue wire on the fan. The system doesn't realize the fan is receiving power from this switch, so it doesn't change the stock controls. I just hit it if I see 3 bars or if I think it might be working hard.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tried just running 12v to blue wire only on mine and it did not work I had to switch power and ground, there must be a floating ground thru the control module???

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried just running 12v to blue wire only on mine and it did not work I had to switch power and ground, there must be a floating ground thru the control module???
Something is wrong then. 12v to the blue wire at the fan control module should do it. Even with key off!
Keeping it plugged in... That is.
If unplugging the 2 pin Green and Blue wire plug, you need to ground the green wire and the fan should spin.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Something is wrong then. 12v to the blue wire at the fan control module should do it. Even with key off!
Keeping it plugged in... That is.
If unplugging the 2 pin Green and Blue wire plug, you need to ground the green wire and the fan should spin.
That is what I done, I cut wires green and blue and put in a dpdt switch to switch between constant power or back to fan control module, I thought I heard of someone just running power to blue wire only without running ground as well, that did not work on mine, thru my dpdt switch I run power and ground switch away from control module so I would not think that control module would know any better unless it is reading amp draw on fan thru system but I am running aux. Battery also and my aux. Power is coming from that thru relay,, Thanks

Reactions: 0860silverado
H

HondaTech

Hello, according to the diagram that I have if I am reading it correctly, there are 2 brown wires one goes to fuel pump and the other goes to fuel pump relay they are both on the power side of Fan fuse then goes thru 15 amp fuse and red and yellow wire go to fan control, I am not a electrical engineer but i do know a bit about automotive electronics that seams a little strange the way all that is wired up with fuel pump and all, You may be onto something there, Thank You for Your input and help,,,,,

It makes it appear like the power to the fuse is only present when the fuel pump relay is energized.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It makes it appear like the power to the fuse is only present when the fuel pump relay is energized.
Exactly,, seam strange I hate to reinvent the wheel but seams that there would be a better way, Help from people smarter than me is Greatly Appreciated Thanks

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I had the same problem with a Teryx. Installed a manual fan switch and had to watch the temperature display all the time. Second revision was to make the fan come one when ever the engine was running. Worked perfect! I didn't fix it properly because the ECM was faulty on that control point, and I wasn't putting a new ECM on an old machine.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the same problem with a Teryx. Installed a manual fan switch and had to watch the temperature display all the time. Second revision was to make the fan come one when ever the engine was running. Worked perfect! I didn't fix it properly because the ECM was faulty on that control point, and I wasn't putting a new ECM on an old machine.
Hello, I thought that the next thing I would do is put some kind of temp gauge on that I could adjust or set a warning perameter so when the temp climed to a certain level it would warn with an alarm , was looking at Trail Tech gauges or something like that, wonder if anyone has installed anything like this,,, Thanks

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does anyone have more info on the fan control module? After looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like the hot and the ground side of the fan could be switched through the module/relay.

I have a 2017 LE that has overheated a couple time.

Also i tried to do a lemon law claim with Chevrolet once. They told me " In 3 years when i got a court date,They would be happy to take the vehicle off my hands for what i owed on it!! (I had a 4 year loan):mad:

Reactions: DG Rider
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!