P1000 Overheating Hot Topic! - Issues, Problems, Solutions and more problems.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
The fan relay would be the first thing to change! That should be easy and cheap. Someone needs to do it and let us know if it fixes the problem. It's a more complicated relay than most, but still should be less than $20.00.
$49.10 at RockyMountin screwups and 62.95 at honda will find out tomorrow

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
So does the ECM or PCM is that the same as the EPS unit on the wiring diagram?

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
took it to honda and no one knows any thing yet will see WTF is up.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
took it to honda and no one knows any thing yet will see WTF is up.
Hello, I posted some of this information on another popular pioneer forum about a month ago and they acted like they had never heard of the problem at all, My only reply was that maybe I have a loose wire or plug and that maybe I should take it back to the dealer, as far as I can tell the dealer that I go to Knows nothing about it, I Think that trying a new Fan/fuel pump relay would be a good try at a fix, would be interesting to see if maybe got a batch of bad relays, it is possible but everything I have heard is that if the relay is bad then the fuel pump will not work thus engine quits??? I work on lots of equipment heavy equipment for a Road Dept. and have seen relays do and cause some funny problems,,,, Thanks For The info,,,,

Reactions: 70Bones
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Hello, I posted some of this information on another popular pioneer forum about a month ago and they acted like they had never heard of the problem at all, My only reply was that maybe I have a loose wire or plug and that maybe I should take it back to the dealer, as far as I can tell the dealer that I go to Knows nothing about it, I Think that trying a new Fan/fuel pump relay would be a good try at a fix, would be interesting to see if maybe got a batch of bad relays, it is possible but everything I have heard is that if the relay is bad then the fuel pump will not work thus engine quits??? I work on lots of equipment heavy equipment for a Road Dept. and have seen relays do and cause some funny problems,,,, Thanks For The info,,,,
There is no "fan/fuel pump relay". They are individual relays, that are supplied from the same fuse, that is the only connection. The fuel pump relay is obviously fine as the engine runs. The fan relay might be the problem, or the PCM might be the problem.

The only clue as to which one is bad appears to be that, after the fan is found not operating, cycling the engine off and back on causes the fan to operate normally, is that true in all cases?

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello 70Bones, Yes that has been true it seems in most cases and everytime it has happen to me which has only been about 3 times is that if you shut down and restart fan will start working again, unless my manual is incorrect or I am overlooking something also I have not confirmed it on the machine itself but the wiring diagram that I have been looking at shows only one Relay 20A fuel/fan fuse R/BU wire goes to fuel pump/fan Relay which doesn't make since to me to have one Relay to operate both fan and pump, makes more since to have separate relay, according to this diagram the 15A Fan fuse the R/Y wire goes to Fan Control Unit and there are 2 brown wires one goes to fuel pump/Fan relay the other goes to fuel pump, ????????? Thank You For Your Help,,,

IMG 20190116 201026710 IMG 20190116 200949769

Reactions: perry
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
You are absolutely right, I missed that fuel pump/fan relay (turned on by the PCM) that supplies the "fan fuse" that supplies the "fan control unit" (which the PCM turns on) to start the fan.
However, if the fuel pump runs, then that fuel pump/fan relay must be good, as it directly supplies the fuel pump. However, it also supplies the Fan Control Unit which controls both the fan power and ground. So the fan control unit could be the problem, or the PCM. I keep coming back to those two items.
I think the reason they wired the fan power from the Fuel Pump/Fan relay is to ensure the fan doesn't run unless the ignition is turned on. Kind of a strange way to do that.

Reactions: perry
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok I have look and talk to the service manager and the PCM is controlling the ground not the power side of the relay so not sure. Need to look at wiring diagram.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
OK looked at the wiring diagram the fan motor gets it power and ground from the fan control unit. The relay is controlled by the PCM, and has it own fuse, the power for that fuse is coming from the fuel/fan fuse comes thur the fuel/fan relay witch also powers the FI fuse that power come from the Ignition switch. No wonder this s*** has some problems the power is come from ever were. My head gust blew-up!

Reactions: 70Bones
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK looked at the wiring diagram the fan motor gets it power and ground from the fan control unit. The relay is controlled by the PCM, and has it own fuse, the power for that fuse is coming from the fuel/fan fuse comes thur the fuel/fan relay witch also powers the FI fuse that power come from the Ignition switch. No wonder this s*** has some problems the power is come from ever were. My head gust blew-up!
What ever happened to to good old days when You had a thermostat to ground and power to the fan that is bullet proof, and that is probably where alot of these will end up,,,,,,

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
But then things would never get better either...
That's correct. The reason Honda goes this way in this circumstance, is that they can program the PCM to turn the fan on at different temperatures, and possibly increase engine efficiency. The old way was dependent upon the calibration of the temperature switch.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just talked to Honda and they sent a new ECM Program to the shop and we will see what's up now.
Maybe light at the end of the tunnel, We can only hope and I hope that works out it very well could be a computer program hickup, Let us know How it goes and Thanks for all the info and work, This is probably a simple problem for someone out there but not for me, I am too old school, switch on switch off works good,,,

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Took mine in for the new down load from Honda! Then I and called American Honda and asked for some one to call me about the problem and she was not so smart but told me that Honda has a fix or is still working on it so I feel like a guinea pig. After that the machine seems to start better and has a little more power! have 900 miles and it happened two times first about 300 miles and the second one about 600 miles. So it seems that I am dooooo for a third soon????

E

Electobond

Jan 25, 2019
Logan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi there,

I'm new to all of this for forgive any mistakes. I recently purchased a 2016 1000 Pioneer. I have been trying to figure out why it would overhead on occasion and work fine on other rides. This is what I have learned that might work for some of you. Apparently when the ignition is turned to on and the Pioneer is not started for more than 4 seconds it goes into "low power mode". Low power mode deactivates the fan after you start. This deactivation no matter how cold it is outside doesn't pull the air though the radiator and will eventually overheat. I couldn't figure out why it was overheating riding in the snow with tracks on very cold days. I have gotten into the habit of starting it right of the bat instead of waiting for the pump to cycle. Tried it on a handful of rides and it seems to fix the problem. I am told by the dealer that Honda is working on a recall for this.

Thanks,

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!