P1000 Overheating Hot Topic! - Issues, Problems, Solutions and more problems.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I own an '18 p1000m5, is this a super common issue or an issue amongst some machines. This thread has me nervous. I ride in AZ and it is hot as all hell here some times of the year. Is overheating a real issue?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anyone have more info on the fan control module? After looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like the hot and the ground side of the fan could be switched through the module/relay.

I have a 2017 LE that has overheated a couple time.

Also i tried to do a lemon law claim with Chevrolet once. They told me " In 3 years when i got a court date,They would be happy to take the vehicle off my hands for what i owed on it!! (I had a 4 year loan):mad:
Is it possible Chevrolet was just feeding you a line to get rid of you?

I returned a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, and there was no court proceedings involved at all. And I only had to pay only for the miles that I put on the machine, but the payments I'd already made counted against that, so I ended up only paying a few hundred dollars.

Traditionally, off-road machines haven't been covered by lemon laws. With the prices these things are now bringing, that needs to change.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW... I have a '16 year model and it has never overheated. Would it be possible to reflash '17 and '18 and '19 models' PCM with a '16 program? It seems like this problem is with newer models only.?

Reactions: perry
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is it possible Chevrolet was just feeding you a line to get rid of you?

I returned a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, and there was no court proceedings involved at all. And I only had to pay only for the miles that I put on the machine, but the payments I'd already made counted against that, so I ended up only paying a few hundred dollars.

Traditionally, off-road machines haven't been covered by lemon laws. With the prices these things are now bringing, that needs to change.
It could have been a scar tactic. But I dumped the vehicle about 3 months later.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW... I have a '16 year model and it has never overheated. Would it be possible to reflash '17 and '18 and '19 models' PCM with a '16 program? It seems like this problem is with newer models only.?
I wish I Knew???? I think that there are probably more people out there with this problem than we know but for whatever reason they don't use their pioneer enough to see it, if you just used it around the farm or hunting making short trips the problem may never show it's self, what happens is just out of the blue for no reason the cooling fan will decide not to come on then it starts to over heat, shut the unit down for a few minutes restart it's ok again????? Thanks,,,,,

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wish I Knew???? I think that there are probably more people out there with this problem than we know but for whatever reason they don't use their pioneer enough to see it, if you just used it around the farm or hunting making short trips the problem may never show it's self, what happens is just out of the blue for no reason the cooling fan will decide not to come on then it starts to over heat, shut the unit down for a few minutes restart it's ok again????? Thanks,,,,,
I see... When mine is used, it is from dawn until dusk, from extended idling periods to WOT for miles, only turning off for a 30 minute lunch break. (Rural water system maintenance).

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I see... When mine is used, it is from dawn until dusk, from extended idling periods to WOT for miles, only turning off for a 30 minute lunch break. (Rural water system maintenance).
Very Good, if Yours had a problem You would know it by now,, Thanks,,,,

Reactions: 0860silverado
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It could have been a scar tactic. But I dumped the vehicle about 3 months later.
Actually, now that I think about it the word arbitration was mentioned. But I guess Chrysler just didn't figure they had much of a chance so they just let me bring it back.

Reactions: Tramguage1
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did You ever determine if when it over heats is the fan not working, Mine will just out of the blue for no reason cooling fan stop working and the it will start to over heat, I had to put in a over ride switch so i could manually send power to fan so engine would not overheat,,,,
the fan is not working have to stop and restart it and the fan will come on and the machine will start to cool down this s*** is wrong! Honda needs to fix it!!! have not looked at a wiring diagram but every body is saying that it is on the fuel pump power wire so why does the machine shut down for lack of fuel?

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the fan is not working have to stop and restart it and the fan will come on and the machine will start to cool down this s*** is wrong! Honda needs to fix it!!! have not looked at a wiring diagram but every body is saying that it is on the fuel pump power wire so why does the machine shut down for lack of fuel?
A couple people are working on a plug and play kit to address this issue. Sit tight. Little bit of testing to go and there will be a solution/fix for this.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
need to get a digital thermostat gage soon the bars do not show thur the dust on the dash.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I agree 100%, If you look at wire diagram it looks to me like the fan gets its power thru the fuel pump relay??? I will not get a chance to look at mine for some time but if some one could put a fuse buddy tester on the fan fuse and see what it does when all this is going on would be interesting to see, it would be interesting to know if We loose power at the fuse, Thanks

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
The fan does not get it's power from the fuel pump relay. It gets it's power from a fuse that powers the fuel pump and the cooling fan relay, and therefore the fan. That fuse is not the problem, if it were to fail it would not reset, and also, if it were to blow the fan and the fuel pump, and therefore the engine, would quit immediately.

The fan relay coil gets it's power from that fuse, and is grounded by the PCM (programmable control module, aka computer), putting current through the relay coil, creating a magnetic field, and closing the relay contacts to supply power to the fan motor.

The problem would be either Fan Control Relay, or the PCM, or the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor. HOWEVER, the ECT, would not reset when the ignition is cycled, as the OP has indicated it does, so the problem is in the Fan Relay or the PCM, both which could reset when the power is cycled off and back on. The PCM reads the ECT (temperature sensor) and turns on the fan relay when the voltage from the temp sensor reaches a pre-programmed setting. The Honda techs should be able to check to see what this calculated temperature is, and change it to a lower temp if Mother Honda blesses it. However, I don't believe that is the problem, I believe the PCM is getting hung up, as a previous poster mentioned that their dealer changed the temperature set point, so they've done some testing.

This is definitely a Honda problem, but probably means new Fan Relay's or PCM's required for all you P1K guys, so don't hold your breath. But don't give up, Honda will do the right thing or end up replacing head gaskets and warped heads, which would be a huge cost.

Last edited:
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The fan does not get it's power from the fuel pump relay. It gets it's power from a fuse that powers the fuel pump and the cooling fan relay, and therefore the fan. That fuse is not the problem, if it were to fail it would not reset, and also, if it were to blow the fan and the fuel pump, and therefore the engine, would quit immediately.

The fan relay coil gets it's power from that fuse, and is grounded by the PCM (programmable control module, aka computer), putting current through the relay coil, creating a magnetic field, and closing the relay contacts to supply power to the fan motor.

The problem would be either Fan Control Relay, or the PCM, or the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor. HOWEVER, the ECT, would not reset when the ignition is cycled, as the OP has indicated it does, so the problem is in the Fan Relay or the PCM, both which could reset when the power is cycled off and back on. The PCM reads the ECT (temperature sensor) and turns on the fan relay when the voltage from the temp sensor reaches a pre-programmed setting. The Honda techs should be able to check to see what this calculated temperature is, and change it to a lower temp if Mother Honda blesses it. However, I don't believe that is the problem, I believe the PCM is getting hung up, as a previous poster mentioned that their dealer changed the temperature set point, so they've done some testing.

This is definitely a Honda problem, but probably means new Fan Relay's or PCM's required for all you P1K guys, so don't hold your breath. But don't give up, Honda will do the right thing or end up replacing head gaskets and warped heads, which would be a huge cost.
Thank You Very Much for the info, I am hopeful that this problem will eventually be solved within a reasonable amount of time before real damage is done, I am very happy with the pioneer other than this one hiccup but it is a big problem that definitely needs addressed, Thank You,,,,

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

all that being said I would almost try a new relay, maybe there was a bad batch of relays going around, I had a Hustler zero turn mower that had a recall one time for a bad batch of start relays ,,,,

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Any of you interested in a fan override kit?
It's not to hard to build your own kit too.

Anyways,
I am making plug and play kits that only require a battery hook up. Or adding a 12v "key on" source will allow it to come on whenever the key is on.

I'm almost ready to market them so if interested shoot me a message.

Honda will not be issuing a recall as this is not safety related.
There may be a "product advancement" in the future but it will not be retro active.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0860silverado
J

JTW

Any of you interested in a fan override kit?
It's not to hard to build your own kit too.

Anyways,
I am making plug and play kits that only require a battery hook up. Or adding a 12v "key on" source will allow it to come on whenever the key is on.

I'm almost ready to market them so if interested shoot me a message.

Honda will not be issuing a recall as this is not safety related.
There may be a "product advancement" in the future but it will not be retro active.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
As good as they’ve been about fixing the issues... that’s bulls*** Honda!

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
all that being said I would almost try a new relay, maybe there was a bad batch of relays going around, I had a Hustler zero turn mower that had a recall one time for a bad batch of start relays ,,,,
The fan relay would be the first thing to change! That should be easy and cheap. Someone needs to do it and let us know if it fixes the problem. It's a more complicated relay than most, but still should be less than $20.00.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
The ECT is showing the right temp. on the dash. So it problem not the ECT. I will be taking mine to the shop on Tuesday and I will get them to order that relay for me. I want them to check the ground and plugs to the relay and PCM. Maybe find something or someone on the assembly line is unhappy and screwing with Honda!

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
The ECT is showing the right temp. on the dash. So it problem not the ECT. I will be taking mine to the shop on Tuesday and I will get them to order that relay for me. I want them to check the ground and plugs to the relay and PCM. Maybe find something or someone on the assembly line is unhappy and screwing with Honda!

The ground for the fan system is combined with grounds from 5 other systems. If they all work, there probably is no problem with the ground: Auto/Manual system; speed indication on the dash meter; fan control relay; accessory socket; fuel pump; 1 of 3 of the PCM grounds. The Fan Control Relay connector has 6 wires in it.
If there is any other info that can be derived from the schematic that you want before you go to the dealer, let me know, I'm happy to help.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!