Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think @CumminsPusher did a write up on this. Mine has had a slight rev between gears since day one off the showroom floor.
Ya here’s the write up if that helps any. It’s really fairly simple just pay attention to a couple small things

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ya here’s the write up if that helps any. It’s really fairly simple just pay attention to a couple small things

Thank you Sir! 🍻

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok Ill update where Im at. I came home and dropped the skid plate and pressure washed underneath and above again. Put it under the carport and drained the oil and took out the 2 filters. Then I had to block it all off so our fat baby piggy wouldnt get under it and try to drink the oil. He will! Gonna let it drip all out overnight and probably get to it in the morning or Saturday. Also, I stole one of the wifes Tupperware containers and put both clutches in the container and put a quart of the Honda oil in it. It was perfect size! Shhh, dont tell the wife. Thank yall for the advice and tips so far. I know everybody likes pics so heres a few. Yall have a good one!

20210318 193140 20210318 193031

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey BC dont for get to check the oil screen going from the trans to the engine mine was about halfway plugged with clutch fibers
and caused the rod bearing to spin lack of oil I was lucky honda covered it

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok Ill update where Im at. I came home and dropped the skid plate and pressure washed underneath and above again. Put it under the carport and drained the oil and took out the 2 filters. Then I had to block it all off so our fat baby piggy wouldnt get under it and try to drink the oil. He will! Gonna let it drip all out overnight and probably get to it in the morning or Saturday. Also, I stole one of the wifes Tupperware containers and put both clutches in the container and put a quart of the Honda oil in it. It was perfect size! Shhh, dont tell the wife. Thank yall for the advice and tips so far. I know everybody likes pics so heres a few. Yall have a good one!

View attachment 261423 View attachment 261424
Well hard part is out of the way lol.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey BC dont for get to check the oil screen going from the trans to the engine mine was about halfway plugged with clutch fibers
and caused the rod bearing to spin lack of oil I was lucky honda covered it
Oh hell...I didnt know there was a screen in there. Lol Im not taking it all back apart to check though. Thanks for the heads up though! 😂

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well yall I got the clutches in and ran it all up and down my dirt road to get it warmed up and then came back to the house and did the clutch initialization procedure. It all works perfect. I have to thank @CumminsPusher and I think @JACKAL for the write up. Thank yall for the tips. From the time I took the bolts out of the clutch cover to the time I was bolting the cover back on with new clutches inside was probably 30 minutes. It really is simple. The worst part was taking the floorboards out and the skidplate, and cleaning all around the back of the motor just like my buddy told me. Its funny that I did all that and when I went to change the air filter the back 2 alan head bolts that hold the top of the air cleaner box to the bottom stripped out and I cant get the damn air box apart now! Lol I took the airbox completely off of the sxs and I cant get them out. Ive got them soaking in penetrant over night now. Im not gonna mess with it anymore this weekend. Im gonna concentrate on gelcoating the roof of the houseboat. I will probably get it together next Friday because I think we're riding Saturday. Heres a few pics for yall.

Attachments

• 20210319_124631.jpg
    20210319_124631.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210319_124855.jpg
    20210319_124855.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210319_124939.jpg
    20210319_124939.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210319_125332.jpg
    20210319_125332.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210319_130158.jpg
    20210319_130158.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210319_131019.jpg
    20210319_131019.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210319_131027.jpg
    20210319_131027.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210319_131504.jpg
    20210319_131504.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210319_141616.jpg
    20210319_141616.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 84
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well yall I got the clutches in and ran it all up and down my dirt road to get it warmed up and then came back to the house and did the clutch initialization procedure. It all works perfect. I have to thank @CumminsPusher and I think @JACKAL for the write up. Thank yall for the tips. From the time I took the bolts out of the clutch cover to the time I was bolting the cover back on with new clutches inside was probably 30 minutes. It really is simple. The worst part was taking the floorboards out and the skidplate, and cleaning all around the back of the motor just like my buddy told me. Its funny that I did all that and when I went to change the air filter the back 2 alan head bolts that hold the top of the air cleaner box to the bottom stripped out and I cant get the damn air box apart now! Lol I took the airbox completely off of the sxs and I cant get them out. Ive got them soaking in penetrant over night now. Im not gonna mess with it anymore this weekend. Im gonna concentrate on gelcoating the roof of the houseboat. I will probably get it together next Friday because I think we're riding Saturday. Heres a few pics for yall.
How many times has this machine needed this? I know you told me you weren't real happy with the P1K.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How many times has this machine needed this? I know you told me you weren't real happy with the P1K.
This is the 2nd time. The first time was my fault because I told my wife to pull me out of a sticky mud hole back when I had my P5 on portals and 35s. I got stuck, told her to pull me out, she was in reverse and trying to pull me out. Had to have someone hook to the back of her and they both pulled me out. Her clutch started slipping right after. I didnt know that was a no-no on the P1000 at the time. My fault. Figure warranty will cover it. Nope! Its a 2018 that has had the clutch fix done to it at the factory for more oil capacity and more flow. I called the dealer and he told me not to stress, just bring it in and he'll work me a deal. The deal he worked me was charging me $1339 dollars. Well, I learned my lesson good. I thought I had discussed this in detail to my wife a few times, but I guess not. She went riding with her girlfriends and they got in the truck pit where trucks mud at and got into some thick mud. Tires stopped moving but she kept trying. Got pulled out. Clutch started slipping. She called me and told me the clutches were slipping. I told her to push it off in the woods and burn it! I said I didnt want to see her pull back in the yard with it on the trailer. Im tired of looking at it. Well, you know she brought it home. Lol I ordered clutches this time and tackled it myself. Yes, Im not happy with the P1000. I couldnt be given one. Keep it. Dont need another headache. I regret the day we bought it. Ive had to rebuild the sub trans. Constant overheating issues. It always has air in the cooling system. Always. Ive even thought it might have some kind of cracked valve seat or blown head gasket or something that lets air get into the cooling system. Ive done compression checks and leak down checks. Everything checks out good. It holds pressure and it holds vacuum. Ive tried it with and without thermostats, have bought a handful of new radiator caps, added a 2nd cooling fan, bought special $50 a gallon antifreeze, etc...I guess the next step would be relocate the radiator to the top of the hood with a bigger radiator. I even cut a special door into the area behind the seat belt buckles in the front seat so I can get to the bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing. I bleed it before every ride. Ive even thought of taking the bleeder bolt out and trying to make some kind of flexible line that screws into where the bleeder bolt goes and run the line over to the edge of the rollcage behind the drivers seat with a little valve on it I can open to let the air out. At the same time she has all these problems, her 2 cousins both have P1000s the same year and they dog the hell out of them! The only problems they ever have is broken axles. She keeps telling me she wants me to get a Talon. I tell her theres no way in hell I will ever own another machine that has an engine on it designed off of the P1000. My old P5 and her old P7-4 were bulletproof. She has said many times that she wishes she didnt trade her P7 in on the P1000. If I ever get another sxs it will probably be a P7 or a Can-Am 1000 trail. So what it has a belt. I can have a spare $100 belt on the machine and change it out in 20 minutes, and have brute horsepower to play with until it breaks again. Lol I got my Hoot 6x6 for now though. Looking forward to seeing how it does on the swampy trails soon.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is the 2nd time. The first time was my fault because I told my wife to pull me out of a sticky mud hole back when I had my P5 on portals and 35s. I got stuck, told her to pull me out, she was in reverse and trying to pull me out. Had to have someone hook to the back of her and they both pulled me out. Her clutch started slipping right after. I didnt know that was a no-no on the P1000 at the time. My fault. Figure warranty will cover it. Nope! Its a 2018 that has had the clutch fix done to it at the factory for more oil capacity and more flow. I called the dealer and he told me not to stress, just bring it in and he'll work me a deal. The deal he worked me was charging me $1339 dollars. Well, I learned my lesson good. I thought I had discussed this in detail to my wife a few times, but I guess not. She went riding with her girlfriends and they got in the truck pit where trucks mud at and got into some thick mud. Tires stopped moving but she kept trying. Got pulled out. Clutch started slipping. She called me and told me the clutches were slipping. I told her to push it off in the woods and burn it! I said I didnt want to see her pull back in the yard with it on the trailer. Im tired of looking at it. Well, you know she brought it home. Lol I ordered clutches this time and tackled it myself. Yes, Im not happy with the P1000. I couldnt be given one. Keep it. Dont need another headache. I regret the day we bought it. Ive had to rebuild the sub trans. Constant overheating issues. It always has air in the cooling system. Always. Ive even thought it might have some kind of cracked valve seat or blown head gasket or something that lets air get into the cooling system. Ive done compression checks and leak down checks. Everything checks out good. It holds pressure and it holds vacuum. Ive tried it with and without thermostats, have bought a handful of new radiator caps, added a 2nd cooling fan, bought special $50 a gallon antifreeze, etc...I guess the next step would be relocate the radiator to the top of the hood with a bigger radiator. I even cut a special door into the area behind the seat belt buckles in the front seat so I can get to the bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing. I bleed it before every ride. Ive even thought of taking the bleeder bolt out and trying to make some kind of flexible line that screws into where the bleeder bolt goes and run the line over to the edge of the rollcage behind the drivers seat with a little valve on it I can open to let the air out. At the same time she has all these problems, her 2 cousins both have P1000s the same year and they dog the hell out of them! The only problems they ever have is broken axles. She keeps telling me she wants me to get a Talon. I tell her theres no way in hell I will ever own another machine that has an engine on it designed off of the P1000. My old P5 and her old P7-4 were bulletproof. She has said many times that she wishes she didnt trade her P7 in on the P1000. If I ever get another sxs it will probably be a P7 or a Can-Am 1000 trail. So what it has a belt. I can have a spare $100 belt on the machine and change it out in 20 minutes, and have brute horsepower to play with until it breaks again. Lol I got my Hoot 6x6 for now though. Looking forward to seeing how it does on the swampy trails soon.
Wow! Glad you helped talk me out of a 1K...at least for now.
So it keeps getting air in it with no visible leaks? Where/how hard is it to get to the water pump? I've heard of (but never seen for my self) a seal NOT leaking outward, but letting air past IN during cool down. Seems like a really long shot...

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wow! Glad you helped talk me out of a 1K...at least for now.
So it keeps getting air in it with no visible leaks? Where/how hard is it to get to the water pump? I've heard of (but never seen for my self) a seal NOT leaking outward, but letting air past IN during cool down. Seems like a really long shot...
Its not too impossible to get to. I forgot to mention as part of my trying to figure out why it was overheating I did buy a new waterpump impellar and gasket, thinking maybe there was rubber blades on it like a boat waterpump impellar. I ordered it and opened the box and it was a metal impellar. Well I thought if it was metal then its probably good. I took the waterpump apart and seen everything was good and just put the new gasket on and closed it back up. I guess what you say is a possibility. I never thought of that. Thanks for the input.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My buddy replaced his on his P1000 a few years ago and he said the hardest part about it was pulling the rear floor pan, dropping the skid plate, and pressure cleaning all around the back of the engine. He said the clutch change out was simple. He said he did it in like 3 1/2 hours. He didnt pull the bed. I decided to pull the bed. I took it off Monday after work and it was a pain in the ass. I started pulling the rear floor pan Tuesday after work. Got the rear pan completely out today after work and I pressure washed all around the back of the engine. Gonna drop the skid Thursday after work and probably get on the underneath side with the pressure washer. Then I plan on draining the oil and filters Thursday night. I will get to taking everything apart probably Friday because its my day off or maybe Saturday.
Photos would be appreciated.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Its not too impossible to get to. I forgot to mention as part of my trying to figure out why it was overheating I did buy a new waterpump impellar and gasket, thinking maybe there was rubber blades on it like a boat waterpump impellar. I ordered it and opened the box and it was a metal impellar. Well I thought if it was metal then its probably good. I took the waterpump apart and seen everything was good and just put the new gasket on and closed it back up. I guess what you say is a possibility. I never thought of that. Thanks for the input.
If you have shop air, you can get one of those vacuum fill cooling system devices off Amazon for like 70 bucks or less. They make it easier to get the air out of the system, Plus you can vacuum test the system rather than pressure test which might be useful in that situation.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you have shop air, you can get one of those vacuum fill cooling system devices off Amazon for like 70 bucks or less. They make it easier to get the air out of the system, Plus you can vacuum test the system rather than pressure test which might be useful in that situation.
Yes I have one. You vacuum down the system and then make sure it holds the vacuum for a while, then turn the valve and it sucks in all the antifreeze. Its a pretty cool tool.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!