Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
That Jackal ride definately showed the P500 could do more than I thought. Logs were self preservation of new Mudbuster fenders, LOL. But, does seem there are some adding a second machine for the faster or different ride. Personally, will be keeping the P500 along with my Mistress machine, as it fills a 50 inch trail niche better than alternatives.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m quite sure.. no locking diff and lack of suspension made it a turd when keeping up with my buddies on rzr’s or just playing around on the trails. There’s just no comparison to what else is out there! Aftermarket has addressed some of my complaints with it. But the reality is it’s just not a very trail friendly machine for a younger man that rides hard. If you’re 60 and just looking for something to putt around on and see the sights. It’s ok. But if you’re looking for a machine you can push the limits with. Well, it’s just subpar. It’s just not in the same class as other manufactures or even the 1000 pioneer when it comes to riding hard. I realize riding hard is subjective and it takes less to challenge the p500 but that’s just not the kind of riding we do. Technical riding is EXTREMELY limited if you’re on a p500. A much better machine is the rspec wolverine if you’re considering a p500. Now, the p500 does have some positives but it’s lackluster. Hell, the old 700 rhino’s are in many regards a better trail rig!
I liked mine just fine, I only upgraded because my wife wanted something we could all fit in at our cabin. You make some valid points about suspension and no front locker, the P5 is plenty capable of tackling some trail with a few mods. I wish I could have both, the 700-4 is a bus compared to the P5. Just my 2 cents.

J

JTW

I hate to repeat myself but as I have said before , the amount of money that one needs to spend on the 500 just to get it to a pleasurable machine , is ridiculous. In stock form , there just isn't much there.

If I had it to do over again , I would have bought a more desirable machine for the same amount of money (maybe less) than I have in my 500. I have enjoyed the process of modifing it but damn , it was expensive!

I don't hate my 500 but I do have a desire for a better machine. Should I ever get another machine , I hope to keep my 500 too , I love the utility part of the 500.........this S.O.B can push some snow !!!
There it is... every machine Honda sells is this way. Even the PK lineup. I’m probbaly 25k in mine. Maybe more... I really haven’t and shouldn’t figure it up!

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There it is... every machine Honda sells is this way. Even the PK lineup. I’m probbaly 25k in mine. Maybe more... I really haven’t and shouldn’t figure it up!
Good idea.;) By the time I’m done building the 700-4 I’ll have as much in it as a stock Pk-5 deluxe. I don’t think any machine is perfect, just like trucks, there’s always something someone has on theirs that you would like to have on yours. Oh well, it is what it is!

J

JTW

Good idea.;) By the time I’m done building the 700-4 I’ll have as much in it as a stock Pk-5 deluxe. I don’t think any machine is perfect, just like trucks, there’s always something someone has on theirs that you would like to have on yours. Oh well, it is what it is!
Yea.. but an rspec wolverine is about as trail ready as I’ve seen. Particularly, for the money. As was said... the family dynamic is what makes the PK5 my choice.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea.. but an rspec wolverine is about as trail ready as I’ve seen. Particularly, for the money. As was said... the family dynamic is what makes the PK5 my choice.
Honda got my money for three reasons, dependability, overall machine length and the stow away rear seats. I think I read an article when I was trying to decide that called the P700’s and PK’s the Swiss Army knife of SxS’s. I agree on the wolverines, if at any point I walk away from Honda it will be for a wolverine.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I’m looking close at the x2 se with the piggyback shocks and painted plastics. Does anyone know if the painted plastics are better than normal plastics? More/less scratch resistant?

Reactions: Russ989
J

JTW

I’m looking close at the x2 se with the piggyback shocks and painted plastics. Does anyone know if the painted plastics are better than normal plastics? More/less scratch resistant?
Can’t say that a painted plastic will scratch easier or less easy.. but a painted plastic will look like s*** when it does scratch. A solid plastic will look better longer. But they will both scratch if you RIDE them.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe @PistonHonda will chime in, I think his are painted plastics, it’s a sharp looking rig for sure!

D

Deleted member 3748

I haven't noticed a difference either way, but the paint is metallic and looks great!

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
D

Deleted member 3748

You won't regret getting the X2.

KC

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I like the grey base model the best of any of the colors. I’m thinking this with maybe some 814 shocks and 28” tires would make a very capable trail rig! I looked at a Polaris General today and was nice but overpriced compared to the Yamaha

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can’t say that a painted plastic will scratch easier or less easy.. but a painted plastic will look like s*** when it does scratch. A solid plastic will look better longer. But they will both scratch if you RIDE them.
Same reason I didn’t go with Cammo plastics. That and expense.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the grey base model the best of any of the colors. I’m thinking this with maybe some 814 shocks and 28” tires would make a very capable trail rig! I looked at a Polaris General today and was nice but overpriced compared to the Yamaha
My buddy just dumped his General for a Pk-5. That damn thing was junk!

D

Deleted member 3748

It's cost effective to get the R-Spec instead of adding the shocks yourself.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!