P500 Pioneer 500 Or Ranger 500

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Hello,
I am new to the forums, and currently in the market for a 500 sxs. I have been researching the Pioneer 500 and the Ranger 500. I know all the “on paper” differences between them, and I’ve driven both a few times. Both dealers are relatively close, and the cost difference is minor (Honda a little less).

I am new to atv’s and utv’s - never owned either. I am older (59), so no crazy riding - nothing super fast or dangerous. My main uses are:
  • Taking my 17 year old son, who has autism, for rides in the bush and teaching him to drive it.
  • Plowing my driveway.
  • My older son may drive it on bush roads near our home.
  • Minor, occasional yard work.
I have researched to the point of paralysis, and I’m looking for some advice from those who may know these machines. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Given the description for use, e.g., some riding around, training platform for a youngest, with minimal use around the yard so I would suggest a Honda Pioneer 500. The P500 is very robust and in my option, proportionally designed for riding/fun vs. work. On the other hand, the Ranger has a bed and likely very nimble for riding around, etc., but I view that proportionally more work, then play. Either unit will do what you want, but I would lean towards the Honda….

Reactions: sharp and 500oneer
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello,
I am new to the forums, and currently in the market for a 500 sxs. I have been researching the Pioneer 500 and the Ranger 500. I know all the “on paper” differences between them, and I’ve driven both a few times. Both dealers are relatively close, and the cost difference is minor (Honda a little less).

I am new to atv’s and utv’s - never owned either. I am older (59), so no crazy riding - nothing super fast or dangerous. My main uses are:
  • Taking my 17 year old son, who has autism, for rides in the bush and teaching him to drive it.
  • Plowing my driveway.
I have researched to the point of paralysis, and I’m looking for some advice from those who may know these machines. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Funny that you stumbled into the best forum on the web, welcome @bms .
I think both will do what you're planning to use it for, pros and cons with either. You get the bed on the Ranger, don't know what else it comes with? The Pioneer comes pretty much stripped down and allows for set up for your particular use. I went with the P5 for its unquestioned reliability. I don't like wrenching on the trail, whether it's a belt or ball joints. This machine is like the Honda of old, good luck trying to break it. ;)

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
From my experience after owning a Polaris and Honda, I found the polaris had a better ride, turf mode which is great, automatic 4wd, locking front diff, faster, lots of nice features. All in all, polaris is a very nice machine. BUT, twice it let me down, miles from anywhere, but did limp back. Honda is very reliable.

When you're miles away from civilization, alone or with your son, and the machine breaks down, or won't start, or the belt gets wet and the machine won't move, very quickly all of the other "pluses" become insignificant. The MOST IMPORTANT feature in the world, to me, is reliability and being able to trust the machine.

And after saying all of that, my P500 is more than reliable, it's fun, it's tough, it's good on gas, it'll go anywhere I ask it to, the ride is good (except when pushing hard and I hit a big bump), and it's very customizable, if that's a word.

Life is better side by side.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Honda is a tank. It also rides like a tank. It will last forever...but, most Polaris owner's get good service as well.

The popo scores major points for already having a bed and locking front diff capabilities. It's also physically bigger, which is usually an advantage in tough terrain unless you have trail width restrictions.

Also: Have you considered the 700 Pioneer?

Reactions: sharp
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
First, Welcome and a good choice to have fun with the family.
Hard to beat the Honda reliability for safe return from trail riding. Although it lacks a bed, there are many options here for cargo beds or boxes. Another member just posted the rack mounted folding golf cart/tray seat to carry 3-4 people around the yard. Own polaris and honda. After having a plow on a polaris, my choice would be plowing with the honda geared drive train. A used, non abused P500 might also be a consideration as they are well built.
P500 - Post your rear rack/boxes Pics.

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I own Polaris RZR 900 trail and a Pioneer 500 . The 500 is much easier to service . If I could only have one I would have the Pioneer .
For your described use either will work great . Good luck

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
The Honda is a tank. It also rides like a tank. It will last forever...but, most Polaris owner's get good service as well.

The popo scores major points for already having a bed and locking front diff capabilities. It's also physically bigger, which is usually an advantage in tough terrain unless you have trail width restrictions.

Also: Have you considered the 700 Pioneer?

Yes, I drove a 700-4, and it was great, but a little too big for us. It’s a ‘17 leftover. It’s not a deluxe, so no EPS and no manual tranny.

2017 Honda Pioneer 700-4

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I own a pioneer 500 and have ridden with a ranger 500 many times. The lack of a locking front diff in the p5 has never been a problem for me even on extreme trails. I have even gone places with the p5 that I had to back up and pull the ranger 500 out. When I purchased my Honda I was also shopping the ranger 500 or 570 and it came down to the engine braking on the p5. I don’t think you could go wrong with whatever you decide .

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Unlike other forums, you won't get beaten down to bad for mentioning other brands here!! :D If you mention anything about Honda on a Polaris site you will get boo'ed pretty quickly. We might pick on ya some but we all just wanna see you pick what's best for you, even if its not a Honda. Several members here have sold their Honda's for other brands and are still welcome. Goodluck in your purchase!

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Unlike other forums, you won't get beaten down to bad for mentioning other brands here!! :D If you mention anything about Honda on a Polaris site you will get boo'ed pretty quickly. We might pick on ya some but we all just wanna see you pick what's best for you, even if its not a Honda. Several members here have sold their Honda's for other brands and are still welcome. Goodluck in your purchase!

Actually, I'm posting questions in the Ranger 500 forum, as well. They've been OK, but of course they're recommending the Ranger more than the P500, which is to be expected. They are also saying either choice would be OK, as many here are.

P

Pete

May 24, 2015
Hello,

• Plowing my driveway.

Thank you!
I have had a Honda Big Red (6 years) and now a Pioneer 700 for 4 plus years. I have had to do almost no maintenance. If you like working in the shop, buying aftermarket beefed up parts and knowing every nut and bolt on your vehicles, get a Polaris. I work on our neighbor's 2017 Polaris regularly. It would take too long to tell how many issues it's had in a year and a half. My previous employer bought Polaris for several years until the shop bills couldn't be tolerated any more. He had 4-5 units at all times on his South Texas ranch. He now uses Kawasaki with great results, but only because Honda doesn't market a suitable configuration. Hondas aren't bullet proof but they are the closest thing to it in the UTV market. Check to UTV/ATV complaint websites. Polaris is usually at the top for most problems.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have had a Honda Big Red (6 years) and now a Pioneer 700 for 4 plus years. I have had to do almost no maintenance. If you like working in the shop, buying aftermarket beefed up parts and knowing every nut and bolt on your vehicles, get a Polaris. I work on our neighbor's 2017 Polaris regularly. It would take too long to tell how many issues it's had in a year and a half. My previous employer bought Polaris for several years until the shop bills couldn't be tolerated any more. He had 4-5 units at all times on his South Texas ranch. He now uses Kawasaki with great results, but only because Honda doesn't market a suitable configuration. Hondas aren't bullet proof but they are the closest thing to it in the UTV market. Check to UTV/ATV complaint websites. Polaris is usually at the top for most problems.

Agree with almost everything you said...the P500 is bullet proof! ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
You’re right, it should work like that with everything.......

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Hello,

• Plowing my driveway.

Thank you!
No question the Ranger is more comfortable and comes with lots of bells and whistles, and though there’s lots of us that have had excellent service out of ours, there’s a lengthy list of complaints, but that just may be because Polaris has so many units out there with the lions share of the market. The P5 is a goat though and I personally haven’t heard of anybody stranded in one....

Good luck with your choice...:cool:

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
I’m 61 have p500 love it I plow snow and ride trails.l own a 94 Honda 300 bought new no problems at all with it just reg mataince.but the pioneer is a tank and rides a little rough.but you have Honda reliability

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for your input. I am really up in the air on this one. The dump bed and the demeanor of the dealership (super nice family dealership, free installation of winch and plow, free delivery, and just nice folks) has me leaning slightly toward the Polaris, but the unquestioned reliability and less maintenance of the Honda are also major factors. Plus, I just liked the feel of the P500 - it seems to be more fun to drive, and the Ranger seems to be more of a work vehicle. As a matter of fact, the Polaris dealer, who is also a New Holland farm equipment dealer, said that lots of farmers buy Rangers, and folks more-so buy Razors for recreation. I'm not interested in a Razor, for sure.

I live in a development and only live on a 1/3 acre lot. I don't really have a big need for the dump bed, but I have a feeling I'll miss it when I need it. If the Honda had a dump bed option, it would be in my garage already!

If anyone else has anything to add, it would be much appreciated. Also, this forum is more active than the Ranger forums, and all nice folks here! Thanks again everyone!

C

Chooglin

Thanks everyone for your input. I am really up in the air on this one. The dump bed and the demeanor of the dealership (super nice family dealership, free installation of winch and plow, free delivery, and just nice folks) has me leaning slightly toward the Polaris, but the unquestioned reliability and less maintenance of the Honda are also major factors. Plus, I just liked the feel of the P500 - it seems to be more fun to drive, and the Ranger seems to be more of a work vehicle. As a matter of fact, the Polaris dealer, who is also a New Holland farm equipment dealer, said that lots of farmers buy Rangers, and folks more-so buy Razors for recreation. I'm not interested in a Razor, for sure.

I live in a development and only live on a 1/3 acre lot. I don't really have a big need for the dump bed, but I have a feeling I'll miss it when I need it. If the Honda had a dump bed option, it would be in my garage already!

If anyone else has anything to add, it would be much appreciated. Also, this forum is more active than the Ranger forums, and all nice folks here! Thanks again everyone!
As far as the dump bed goes , there is a member here @jay_man81 that is currently working with someone , to make a dump bed available for the Pioneer..........hopefully it will become reality and be affordable!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Plus, I just liked the feel of the P500 - it seems to be more fun to drive,
That is an affirmative, and what struck me the first time I drove one, summer of 2014. I own four SXS’s and the P5 remains my most enjoyable on the trail, hands down. Consider what Chooglin said with regards to the developing dump bed. Let us know where you land!!! :)

Reactions: Chooglin
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

A great dealer can certainly make life easier.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!