P500 Pioneer 500 Or Ranger 500

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
bet for most its fine. I ride max maybe 1k ft above sea anyway, but also might be different I think the early ones were just maps of what ever and the newer ones have o2s and closed loop will do much better at the extremes

S

Shive

Hello,
I am new to the forums, and currently in the market for a 500 sxs. I have been researching the Pioneer 500 and the Ranger 500. I know all the “on paper” differences between them, and I’ve driven both a few times. Both dealers are relatively close, and the cost difference is minor (Honda a little less).

I am new to atv’s and utv’s - never owned either. I am older (59), so no crazy riding - nothing super fast or dangerous. My main uses are:
  • Taking my 17 year old son, who has autism, for rides in the bush and teaching him to drive it.
  • Plowing my driveway.
  • My older son may drive it on bush roads near our home.
  • Minor, occasional yard work.
I have researched to the point of paralysis, and I’m looking for some advice from those who may know these machines. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
I'm trading my Ranger for a Honda. I want reliability. Simple as that.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
bet for most its fine. I ride max maybe 1k ft above sea anyway, but also might be different I think the early ones were just maps of what ever and the newer ones have o2s and closed loop will do much better at the extremes
@Montecresto's had the O2. But you're right that it doesn't affect most people. If it had a low range, it wouldn't affect anyone.

Reactions: Mudwing
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
not sure why it doesn't, all the other utvs and most of the atvs have it, but it does what I want as is that's what matters

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
std, to me the deluxe is just an appearance package, other than that you get paddle shifters (don't care)and eps. I also wanted something I could let my daughter drive eps was the only thing I thought id care about(don't care about looks either) on the quads ive had it was nice to let her use the one with eps because she is pretty small but the way the pioneer steers she doesn't have trouble with manual even with 27s. you can get after market for 500 if you wanted but I'm not going to bother

Normanator22

Normanator22

Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
GA
Ownership

1. 500
OK, so here's what I've come up with so far:
  • P500 pros:
    • Brand reliability
    • Fun to drive
    • Doors (I like them a lot)
    • Tranny flexibility (AT/MT)
    • More trail-oriented (to me) than a Ranger
    • More model-specific online presence (this forum!)
    • Smaller trailer to purchase, or use pick up truck to transport (although I have a Colorado and would have to borrow my nephew's truck)
    • Dealer was OK and has a good rep, but don't know them as well as Polaris dealer, who's family business been around for 70+ years.
  • P500 cons:
    • No dump bed (no pressing need, but I think I'll miss it if I don't have it)
    • Limited susp. travel/rougher ride
    • No front diff. lock
    • No turf mode
    • Some say it's a pain to get into reverse quickly while plowing
  • Ranger 500 pros:
    • Dump bed
    • Better susp. travel/smoother ride
    • ADW (lock front diff.)
    • Turf mode (Ranger folks say critical benefit, very important to them)
    • Nice friendly dealer a little closer to home, with a good reputation
    • A little wider/more comfortable for 2, can squeeze 3 for short rides
    • A little more power
  • Ranger 500 cons:
    • Questionable brand reliability
    • More utility oriented (not really a priority for me) - seems like a farm/ranch utility vehicle
    • Belt driven (I think that's a con, but many Ranger folks say it's not)
    • Lousy nets/doors, and expensive to upgrade to P500 style 1/2 doors
    • Need bigger trailer
Still not decided. Some days I feel like to P500 is for me, other days the Ranger. My family can attest that I'm very indecisive when making bigger purchases, and obviously they're right. I'll continue to read, maybe drive them again, and follow these posts. Thanks everyone!

It’s funny to see this post. I too have gone back and forward on this one. I bought my P500 in December and have been out on three long trips with it. The first one I was so high on owning my first sxs, I didn’t feel like I needed anything extra. I did however “feel” the rougher ride.

The most apparent time was at higher speeds. When cruising slow, or on tight trails, this thing is amazing. As you said @bms it is more fun to drive! Back to the ride...I am considering upgrading the shocks as we speak. I feel in my gut once the ride is improved, this thing will be perfect. As @Chooglin said, it is a $1200 investment for the shocks though. This is really the only “negative” I have to say about the machine.

After that, its a honda. As you have seen, reliability is there with the name.

I never realized how much the engine breaking would be used. I ride in hilly/mountain terrain. She will definitely climb, but I enjoy going down hill even more. Just put it in 1st gear and let her purrr right on down. No brake sliding all over the place in the slick clay. Haha

Until a dump bed comes out for the P500, you could build a cargo bed out of wood or buy the Honda bed. Anything you put back there could be shoveled out if needed.

Either way you are going to love having a sxs. You just have to make the best decision for yourself.

Final thoughts...if you get the Pioneer, you could come to the Takeover in May at Ride Royal Blue. I am pumped about going for my first time!

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
It’s funny to see this post. I too have gone back and forward on this one. I bought my P500 in December and have been out on three long trips with it. The first one I was so high on owning my first sxs, I didn’t feel like I needed anything extra. I did however “feel” the rougher ride.

The most apparent time was at higher speeds. When cruising slow, or on tight trails, this thing is amazing. As you said @bms it is more fun to drive! Back to the ride...I am considering upgrading the shocks as we speak. I feel in my gut once the ride is improved, this thing will be perfect. As @Chooglin said, it is a $1200 investment for the shocks though. This is really the only “negative” I have to say about the machine.

After that, its a honda. As you have seen, reliability is there with the name.

I never realized how much the engine breaking would be used. I ride in hilly/mountain terrain. She will definitely climb, but I enjoy going down hill even more. Just put it in 1st gear and let her purrr right on down. No brake sliding all over the place in the slick clay. Haha

Until a dump bed comes out for the P500, you could build a cargo bed out of wood or buy the Honda bed. Anything you put back there could be shoveled out if needed.

Either way you are going to love having a sxs. You just have to make the best decision for yourself.

Final thoughts...if you get the Pioneer, you could come to the Takeover in May at Ride Royal Blue. I am pumped about going for my first time!

Thanks for the informative post - lots of very helpful information. Do you have a diff. locker installed? if not, do you miss it? Still looking and debating - btw, where is the "Takeover in May at Ride Royal Blue"?

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
std, to me the deluxe is just an appearance package, other than that you get paddle shifters (don't care)and eps. I also wanted something I could let my daughter drive eps was the only thing I thought id care about(don't care about looks either) on the quads ive had it was nice to let her use the one with eps because she is pretty small but the way the pioneer steers she doesn't have trouble with manual even with 27s. you can get after market for 500 if you wanted but I'm not going to bother

I know it's a 2 passenger machine, but can you "fit" 3 people in the 700?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know it's a 2 passenger machine, but can you "fit" 3 people in the 700?
Technically, no...because there is no seatbelt. Some have added one in the center, i believe.

Realistically, it depends on the size of the People. I'm a bigger guy at 270 or so, and my usual riding buddy was about average, There would have been no way to put anything other than a toddler between us comfortably. 3 skinny people would probably fit OK.

Normanator22

Normanator22

Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
GA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the informative post - lots of very helpful information. Do you have a diff. locker installed? if not, do you miss it? Still looking and debating - btw, where is the "Takeover in May at Ride Royal Blue"?

I don’t miss the locker for my use. I am not out there mudding though. Anytime 2wd hasn’t been able to get me up a hill, over a log, out of some sticky mud, the 4wd without locker has been more than enough to get me through it. The one time I was hung up in some serious washed out trails going straight up a mountain, my winch got me the rest of the way.

If you need a locker, there is an aftermarket one available.

Go to the home page for hondasxs, scroll down and you will se the info for the Pioneer Takeover. Ride Royal Blue is the location (North of Knoxville TN).

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Technically, no...because there is no seatbelt. Some have added one in the center, i believe.

Realistically, it depends on the size of the People. I'm a bigger guy at 270 or so, and my usual riding buddy was about average, There would have been no way to put anything other than a toddler between us comfortably. 3 skinny people would probably fit OK.

would agree, the main things that the width gives, you could put a console between or two big butt people(reason I wasent comfortable in the 500 I am 250 and 6ft, and with my smallish 12 yr old we filled it and feet were too big) also the 700 has glove box and way more room for stuff like fender bags, the only way to keep samiches and chip,trail cams, stuff like that. only have room for a 48inch box in the back on the 500. the stability is the other biggy when going over rocks or rutted trails this machine will be able to go over more steep side angles.
20190120 124211

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Are there any differences between 2017, 2018, and 2019 P500’s besides color choices?

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
2015-2016....paddle shift only, no speed limiter in place for seatbelt, old style side bars, no automatic downshift, adjustable shocks rear only
2017-current....paddle shift or automatic shift, speed limited to 25mph with no seatbelt (often bypassed), updated side torso bars, will automatic downshift to second gear when coming to stop, adjustable shocks front and rear!

ONLY changes in the 2017-2019 is color

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
And of course if you ever sell it later, newest year possible brings better price on book value.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
I am new to the forums, and currently in the market for a 500 sxs. I have been researching the Pioneer 500 and the Ranger 500. I know all the “on paper” differences between them, and I’ve driven both a few times. Both dealers are relatively close, and the cost difference is minor (Honda a little less).

I am new to atv’s and utv’s - never owned either. I am older (59), so no crazy riding - nothing super fast or dangerous. My main uses are:
  • Taking my 17 year old son, who has autism, for rides in the bush and teaching him to drive it.
  • Plowing my driveway.
  • My older son may drive it on bush roads near our home.
  • Minor, occasional yard work.
I have researched to the point of paralysis, and I’m looking for some advice from those who may know these machines. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
My response has nothing to do with brand loyalty, the pioneer 500 is the best machine for you. I had a pioneer 500 before I bought my 700-4 and it was great, I only upgraded for more seating capacity. The farm I work for on the side has a Ranger 570 and I wouldn’t have it, my p500 was a better rig hands down.

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Update: Just took the plunge and purchased a 2017 P500 with very low miles and loaded with optional equipment from forum member jspeed. We are working on how to get it to me. Very smooth transaction and the machine looks beautiful! My family and I are very excited and looking forward to getting some advice from all of you. Thank you all very much for your help!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!