P1000 Power commander V

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With the permanently mounted wideband O2 sensor, it will adjust depending on air density if you're at different elevations or air temperature. That would be a nice feature to have as well. It was super easy to mount the new O2 sensor.
Yeah but are you going to have the auto tune on every time you ride to adjust all that? I did that with a turboed mustang I had and I spent more time with a lap top in the front seat watching the tables and wideband numbers and never once enjoyed driving the freaking car. I definetly don't want to turn the pioneer into that. Id rather just have a tune setup for average temps and 93 octane and maybe have a tune for cold air temps that way in the winter put in cold air tune, and if the temps start rising into 50 or 60s it will just be a little rich and then once weather breaks slap in the tune for ideal temps then samething if it get into 80s and 90s it will just be a little rich. Id probably be best just to buy the PCV and run 93 and not touch anything that way it doesn't turn into a tuning project and I can enjoy it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah but are you going to have the auto tune on every time you ride to adjust all that? I did that with a turboed mustang I had and I spent more time with a lap top in the front seat watching the tables and wideband numbers and never once enjoyed driving the freaking car. I definetly don't want to turn the pioneer into that. Id rather just have a tune setup for average temps and 93 octane and maybe have a tune for cold air temps that way in the winter put in cold air tune, and if the temps start rising into 50 or 60s it will just be a little rich and then once weather breaks slap in the tune for ideal temps then samething if it get into 80s and 90s it will just be a little rich. Id probably be best just to buy the PCV and run 93 and not touch anything that way it doesn't turn into a tuning project and I can enjoy it.

The autotune plugs into the power commander module. It does it's job even when you don't have a laptop hooked up. The laptop let you see what it's doing and make changes to the target AFR. Once you have your target AFR set, the autotune will hold that AFR in all conditions. No need to keep the computer hooked up to it.

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The autotune plugs into the power commander module. It does it's job even when you don't have a laptop hooked up. The laptop let you see what it's doing and make changes to the target AFR. Once you have your target AFR set, the autotune will hold that AFR in all conditions. No need to keep the computer hooked up to it.
OK now that sounds a little better. So you pretty much just hook the AT up to the PCV and select an AFR and be done with it? Im guessing it wont make timing changes if you decide to run 93?

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
True if the guy tuning with the dyno is worth a crap. You get somebody tuning for max numbers on the dyno and you're gonna be disappointed out on the road or the trails.

How you tune depends on what your tuning.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
OK now that sounds a little better. So you pretty much just hook the AT up to the PCV and select an AFR and be done with it? Im guessing it wont make timing changes if you decide to run 93?
You can have 2 tunes. U hook a on/off switch to it to select which one. Some people will use the auto tune to get a good map and take it off and run in open loop instead of closed with the auto tune.

Reactions: sharp
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Here is another tuner I came across. Does anyone have experience with magnum tuning? Says it adds 17hp... Honda Pioneer 1000-5 MAGNUM Smart-Tune-X ATV Fuel Tuner Performance Module

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Reactions: joeymt33
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No experience with it but based on how it works, I would stay far, far, far away from that. Just a variable resistor for the IAT and O2.

Thanks for the heads up. I know nothing about tuners. Would this cause harm to the machine or what would be the difference with this and the power commander?

advertisement
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Let's hear some results. If it's under s new thread post link here please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We would have better video if "someone" didn't leave their camera! Actually, we didn't do much video because we had an hour to cram in some pulls on two vehicles and tuning with the PCV. I'll try to go over the good and bad in a few.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
True if the guy tuning with the dyno is worth a crap. You get somebody tuning for max numbers on the dyno and you're gonna be disappointed out on the road or the trails.
No matter what you are tuning, if you tune it for max numbers in a dyno cell, you're gonna fall off when you get out into real air.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We would have better video if "someone" didn't leave their camera! Actually, we didn't do much video because we had an hour to cram in some pulls on two vehicles and tuning with the PCV. I'll try to go over the good and bad in a few.
Break it down for us. Inquiring minds want to know

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The bad....

We found out as you can see in the video above that we could only perform a very short pull in first gear. This sucks because HP will look like it's ~20% low and torque very high. Also, it doesn't really put the engine under a load to see how well it's going to perform. Another bad thing is the pull is so short, you don't have much data to see the peaks and troughs.

There's a speed sensor in the front diff. If it's not turning, the puter won't allow it to shift. So, now we've got to figure out a way to "trick" it or do a pull in 4x4 with the front wheels off.

I'll let this soak in while I type up the results.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, we did a couple pulls with snuffs "slow" mostly stock motor. He has a snorkel head thru the hood and a larger exhaust tip.

First run was 42.22 hp
Second run was 42.09 hp

Again, this is not true power at the wheels because this was first gear only.

We didn't see a need to do anymore pulls with his today. Maybe next time we will check the difference with the snorkel or his "new" snorkel. Maybe we will also check the new exhaust tip.

Snuff, step in anytime as I'm trying to put my truck back together this evening. It's got to pull the pioneers to a ride tomorrow! Which they need to be strapped down and tires swapped, etc. it'll be another late night

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!