Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As opposed to "fake" air?
More like fake real world conditions. Haven't heard of a cell yet that could simulate being outside. The jist of what I was saying is if tuned for max performance on a dyno, it's gonna be on the lean side running down the street, or track, or trail or whatever it is you run down lol.

Reactions: Plumber32
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bad....

We found out as you can see in the video above that we could only perform a very short pull in first gear. This sucks because HP will look like it's ~20% low and torque very high. Also, it doesn't really put the engine under a load to see how well it's going to perform. Another bad thing is the pull is so short, you don't have much data to see the peaks and troughs.

There's a speed sensor in the front diff. If it's not turning, the puter won't allow it to shift. So, now we've got to figure out a way to "trick" it or do a pull in 4x4 with the front wheels off.

I'll let this soak in while I type up the results.
That explains why mine wouldn't shift while doing donuts out in the cow patties (actually horse patties). Now we know.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More like fake real world conditions. Haven't heard of a cell yet that could simulate being outside. The jist of what I was saying is if tuned for max performance on a dyno, it's gonna be on the lean side running down the street, or track, or trail or whatever it is you run down lol.
Just playing with you

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
When we got back I put mine on the lift and tested the shifting. It will shift in 4wd. After a 4wd test, it would let me shift into 2nd only in 2wd. Think we will need a cable to tie the front vss to the rear vss to get it to work.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Me and @joeymt33 hit up the dyno today. I'll let Joey gush about the results! Left my brand new virb there...:mad:

You're going to regret letting me talk about it!

Next up was the super fast and sexy Traveller.....

First pull was with with the mostly unmodded tune from PCV. I had richened it up at WOT throttle and leaned it on the low end but the meat of the map was unmodified.

1st. 47.78

For the next dozen pulls or so I didn't take good notes but we played with the target AFR and in short, we found that we got the best results with 13.0 AFR. We tried 12.8 to 13.3 and we could see a couple HP difference in that range.

Also we played with ignition timing and left it at 4° advanced in the meat of the map and 6° at WOT. PCV had it set at 2 and 4. There is still work to be done here but we could see ~2 hp difference with that as well.

On the last two pulls (last pull isn't shown) we got repeat 49+ HP. Looks like with proper tuning the engine will get a little pick up. I am very satisfied. Also, I've got to say it. My butt dyno looks to be very accurate!! I predicted 8hp and it appears that at the fly wheel we could've picked up more than that. It would probably be 8-9 if we could pull in third gear. There's a lot of HP loss in that low gearing.

Other note, I was running 87 non ethanol. Next time I'll run 93 and see what happens.

Eb61ea089ea67fb163042abed16d697c

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One cool thing to notice. Check out the torque numbers. They are totally inaccurate because of the low gearing. However, it does show that there was a big difference between stock and tuned. I'm sure that increase in torque especially on the low-end is what makes the pioneer feel much better out of the hole after being tuned.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The bad....

We found out as you can see in the video above that we could only perform a very short pull in first gear. This sucks because HP will look like it's ~20% low and torque very high. Also, it doesn't really put the engine under a load to see how well it's going to perform. Another bad thing is the pull is so short, you don't have much data to see the peaks and troughs.

There's a speed sensor in the front diff. If it's not turning, the puter won't allow it to shift. So, now we've got to figure out a way to "trick" it or do a pull in 4x4 with the front wheels off.

I'll let this soak in while I type up the results.

You will have to pull the front axle shafts next time

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
One cool thing to notice. Check out the torque numbers. They are totally inaccurate because of the low gearing. However, it does show that there was a big difference between stock and tuned. I'm sure that increase in torque especially on the low-end is what makes the pioneer feel much better out of the hole after being tuned.

did they program the gear ratio in the dino? if they didn't I think you need to divide the torque number by your gear ratio to get a actual number?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
did they program the gear ratio in the dino? if they didn't I think you need to divide the torque number by your gear ratio to get a actual number?

We weren't too concerned with getting an accurate number to compare to a what Honda has. We just wanted to see the difference in the power commander. Hopefully next time we will be able to test a couple different snorkels and the exhaust tip.

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The gearing was to low to get any consistency on the torque numbers. But you can tell the difference between the 2. Like I said when I drove joeys it was a lot more responsive that mine down low. Once we get the shifting issue and my programmer on, we'll go back and get better runs in. Main thing is the programmer definitely helps, a lot more than I thought it would. Sucks I've been staring at my programmer for a few weeks waiting to get a baseline on the dyno. I've got this to test when I get mine hooked up.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it gets to complicated motor work i turn into a brick. But im very interested in this seems pretty simple. Very interesting as long as theres no loss of reliability. Which I assume theres not since the bike is 120hp.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it showed that kinda difference in torque with 1st gear pulls, imagine what it'd look like at 1:1 pulls. Wow totally impressed here. I was huge skeptic at the start of all this. And now eating my words lol. But this is one of those times I don't mind being wrong. Torque is something these pigs could use more of.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it showed that kinda difference in torque with 1st gear pulls, imagine what it'd look like at 1:1 pulls. Wow totally impressed here. I was huge skeptic at the start of all this. And now eating my words lol. But this is one of those times I don't mind being wrong. Torque is something these pigs could use more of.
Where is the @drfubar ? Must of fell of Marys ridge! Lets make sure @joeymt33 isnt peddling these power commanders on the side first!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where is the @drfubar ? Must of fell of Marys ridge! Lets make sure @joeymt33 isnt peddling these power commanders on the side first!
Dang he sells one defective p700 and y'all peg him as a snake oil salesmen lol. I'm pretty sure I can trust him (still gonna keep my one good eye on him though) lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gearing was to low to get any consistency on the torque numbers. But you can tell the difference between the 2. Like I said when I drove joeys it was a lot more responsive that mine down low. Once we get the shifting issue and my programmer on, we'll go back and get better runs in. Main thing is the programmer definitely helps, a lot more than I thought it would. Sucks I've been staring at my programmer for a few weeks waiting to get a baseline on the dyno. I've got this to test when I get mine hooked up.
View attachment 37531
Staring at unfinished projects is all I've been doing last month or so lol. Just not enough time to get around to all of them lol. Anxious to hear what kinda results you get out of that intake. I played with ram air on my dragbike few years ago. Alot harder dealing with carbs though. I got some serious mph gains with it but it ran like crap at lower speeds.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!