Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just received mine from SuperATV and have a question for those that have this installed... I was thinking about powering it off a toggle so that during winching I can divert all power to the winch by shutting everything off. Sooo... “Could this approach hurt the Power Steering if I would forget to turn it back on? And what if I switch it on while already in motion?o_O

C

Chooglin

Just received mine from SuperATV and have a question for those that have this installed... I was thinking about powering it off a toggle so that during winching I can divert all power to the winch by shutting everything off. Sooo... “Could this approach hurt the Power Steering if I would forget to turn it back on? And what if I switch it on while already in motion?o_O
This really isn't necessary, the power steering unit only uses power when the steering wheel is being turned. I would think in most cases , while using the winch , you won't be turning the steering wheel much (unless you plow with it).

To answer your question though , I don't know if it would cause damage or not but I wouldn't do it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree with above, only uses power when turning, never had a problem. Always free wheel the winch for set up to minimize run time during pull. But I do not plow.

Last edited:
C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
Should have never joined sxs club spending to much $ listening to u guys .want power steering but plow a lot of snow do u think it should be ok your thoughts

Reactions: trigger and Neohio
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Should have never joined sxs club spending to much $ listening to u guys .want power steering but plow a lot of snow do u think it should be ok your thoughts
@trigger ? Plow and PS?

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Lol, now you're an official member of the club! Plowing is one of the main reasons I added PS. I've had this machine is some pretty tight binds and have never had the slightest issue with the PS. Makes it more capable if anything. ;)

Reactions: Mudder
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This really isn't necessary, the power steering unit only uses power when the steering wheel is being turned. I would think in most cases , while using the winch , you won't be turning the steering wheel much (unless you plow with it).

To answer your question though , I don't know if it would cause damage or not but I wouldn't do it.
I found this video to support the discussion on whether or not the power steering unit would be damaged...

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm doing second p500 unit PS install this weekend. Everything on backorder at Rocky mountain at, so had to buy more expensive unit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
I have all my extra electronics fused and then on 1 large kill switch. When Plowing I have held the power steering too long and too hard in one direction and it has shut down. I flip my main switch and it all powers on again. The PS does a good job not hurting itself. I have the tusk unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have all my extra electronics fused and then on 1 large kill switch. When Plowing I have held the power steering too long and too hard in one direction and it has shut down. I flip my main switch and it all powers on again. The PS does a good job not hurting itself. I have the tusk unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Great example of what I was looking for! Still want to hear from others keep the comments coming:)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@ToddH , didn’t you just order PS??

Reactions: Mudwing
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
@ToddH , didn’t you just order PS??
Yes, should be here today. Hopefully will have circuit breaker, fuse block, & wEnch all wired up and get the power steering installed also this weekend.

Plus, another surprise.......:D

Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Like a 66" surprise?
That's not the surprise, I didn't hide that I ordered a plow kit from Richard (and the plow will be here today BTW :D).....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I cannot get the mounting plate to lay flat on the cross member its like the lower shat is an inch too long.

Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
On the upper shaft, do you put the adjustable end up or down?

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
On the upper shaft, do you put the adjustable end up or down?
I had the same problem.I cured it by not using the pinch bolts supplied,but instead put 1/4" grade 8 bolts in their place.It allows a small amount of extra slide on the splines.Leave those pinch bolts on the joints loose until everything else is tight.

Reactions: Mudder
Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I had the same problem.I cured it by not using the pinch bolts supplied,but instead put 1/4" grade 8 bolts in their place.It allows a small amount of extra slide on the splines.Leave those pinch bolts on the joints loose until everything else is tight.
Thanks @nctrailboss that worked ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!