P500 Project RAMBO - upgrades and adventures...

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Tires and wheels!
Haha! I know...I know. But, mirrors first. Then grab handles and shoulder belt pads. Then Rotopax tank. Then center mirror....probably cargo upgrades and much more before wheels/tires. Just giving you a fair warning.

Reactions: Backwoods
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Need ya some sand tires now that will sling it out there.
I was looking, and unfortunately there are no 24" or 25" paddle tires. They jump straight from 22" up to 26". And about the best option for this little machine is the 26" ITP Sand Star paddles, which I have a lot of experience with. But I don't hit the dunes often enough to justify the extra set of wheels/tires. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to try that out, with some 3/4" spacers all around.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Rear differential service. Upgraded to Royal Purple. In my case, I did NOT notice any difference in rear diff noise. Still sounds like something is wrong - but I keep telling myself nothing is wrong, because everybody on here says nothing is wrong. But I have the peace of mind that I already upgraded the fluid!

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I paused during our ride this afternoon to provide an 130-mile owner review of our 2018 Honda Pioneer 500. Had a fun ride with my 6-year-old son. As Honda says, life is better SxS.

Reactions: Remington
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I posted this video elsewhere - as it may help more than just 500 owners. But it belongs in the RAMBO build thread as well...so here it is - SIDE MIRRORS by Maverick Advantage:

Reactions: Remington
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
This video falls in the adventures category. My son and I were out exploring this past Saturday, and we came across these tall/steep/loose climbs. I was nervous about traction, but the little Pioneer did awesome! The climb in this video was accomplished in 3rd gear, 4-wheel-drive. It's taller and steeper when you're there in person. This little Pioneer is a blast.

oldfokker

oldfokker

Oct 31, 2018
Quadra Island, BC
Ownership

1. 500
Enjoying your thread and interested what Rambo’s future holds. My Run-A-MUCK is it’s twin but as I live in a wet rainy climate our direction for mods will be a bit different. Right now I’m working on figuring out how to install a cheap windshield defroster and of course how to sneak some 26” Bighorns into the garage.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Enjoying your thread and interested what Rambo’s future holds. My Run-A-MUCK is it’s twin but as I live in a wet rainy climate our direction for mods will be a bit different. Right now I’m working on figuring out how to install a cheap windshield defroster and of course how to sneak some 26” Bighorns into the garage.
Funny, I’m trying to figure out how to sneak some 26” tires into the garage also!

Reactions: Backwoods
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good tire choice, and so hard to hide from mama. Good luck with your defroster.

Reactions: SouthwestORV
C

Chooglin

Window defroster

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
That’s a good looking tire, very similar pattern to what I run, mine are DOT, can’t tell if those are. Not sure how those would be for your sand dunes. Good price too.
Not sure if DOT, but being of the radial variety I imagine they’ll be great on the many roads I ride here in AZ. I only “dune” about once a year. The rest of the year is mixed terrain. I’m seriously considering the rally on the rocks at Moab this year.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m seriously considering the rally on the rocks at Moab this year.
I hope you’re able to do that. You’re going up so I assume you’ll do wider tires too, maybe some spacers??

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
When we rode the sand dunes during Thanksgiving, I was doubtful the little Pioneer 500 would see the top of Sand Mountain. After all, it's 500 feet tall, and it's loose/deep sand. However, the easiest access point is on the North side. While still challenging, we made it! I was very proud of Rambo. Here's a little clip from the top of Sand Mountain.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!