Roofs, again

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Just got the call that my 1000-5 deluxe is in at the dealership and am deciding on a roof. I'm between the honda and the tusk aluminum. My concern with the honda is the added height since I have 7' garage doors and 30's are in the plans. I plan on adding doors come winter and was wondering if anyone had experience with the honda soft doors fitting with the tusk roof. I'm adding the Tusk glass windshield so that fitment would be fine with either. I'll post pics as soon as I get it home.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

D

DDDonkey

I can't say anything about door fitment but with 30's and the OEM roof you will be fine to fit in your garage. My pioneer is 7' tall with 6" of lift, 35's and the OEM roof.

The OEM roof is tuff, but adds height and likes to hold water when it rains to dump on your lap. The Tusk roof looks nice and low profile but being aluminum could add heat from the sun.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
R

rickoshea

Just got the call that my 1000-5 deluxe is in at the dealership and am deciding on a roof. I'm between the honda and the tusk aluminum. My concern with the honda is the added height since I have 7' garage doors and 30's are in the plans. I plan on adding doors come winter and was wondering if anyone had experience with the honda soft doors fitting with the tusk roof. I'm adding the Tusk glass windshield so that fitment would be fine with either. I'll post pics as soon as I get it home.

doors will fit.

H

HondaTech

The oem roof is the only one i know of that sticks out far enough in the front to not drip water in your lap without a windshield. The others stop at the roll bar and drain onto the dash and into your lap.

Ofcourse with a windshield it wont matter.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had the flat roofs, I had the Kolpin steel roof. It was a great roof. But for my winter setup with the enclosure the Honda OEM works way better. And it is considerably lighter. I ended up selling the flat roof and buying a Honda OEM roof.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Good info thanks guys. Anyone using the new roof that is Grey inside? Worth the extra $90?

Reactions: Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5

FWIW i like the tusk roof, but its not perfect.

i dont like how they cut the front edge. it is cut out more in the center (just for looks i guess). if they just ran it straight across it would keep more air out.
i have the SATV flip windshield. they will work together but you have to make a bracket for the windshield.

i have SATV Warrior XT 30's (30.25" actual) w/o lift.
it barely makes it in my garage. i have a manual door in the back of my garage and if i dont get it opened just right the back of the roof will hit the door (and bend it...). I had to adjust my openers to make sure the door was as far up as possible to avoid hitting them.

i havent had the honda roof so im not sure how much taller it is, but you wont get much lower than the tusk roof.

here are a couple pics to show the way the front of the roof is cut and the bracket i had to make.
BDGL9357
IMG 3903

Reactions: JenElio and Lady01
R

rickoshea

that front of the tusk roof looks to be an easy fix.some sheet and a few rivets/riv nuts will fix it.i'm also in the too short of a garage door camp.i can't fit it inside with my tracks on with the honda hard roof,so i'll be going with the tusk after my bimini roof is shot,which won't be long now.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
that front of the tusk roof looks to be an easy fix.some sheet and a few rivets/riv nuts will fix it.i'm also in the too short of a garage door camp.i can't fit it inside with my tracks on with the honda hard roof,so i'll be going with the tusk after my bimini roof is shot,which won't be long now.
good idea.

it hasnt really bothered me yet. it doesnt drip any water in the rain, but i havent tried to run fast in the rain either.

red1329

red1329

Mar 4, 2021
central il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if you end up going with the hard doors you will want the oem roof. the way the door seals to the cab the roof line need to wrap around the bar like the oem does.. the soft doors however i think you'll be fine with what ever you want.

advertisement
xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Thanks for the info, and the pictures! Hopefully have mine home soon to get started on projects.

Reactions: red1329 and Lady01
xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Is there a way you could post a pic of the rear of the Tusk roof? Can't seem to find a good picture of it online. What arms are you running to fit the 30's?

Reactions: red1329 and Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i am running the SATV arms front and rear.
here is the thread about it.

running these tires

they were 30.25" on the rims when i first put them on, havent measured them again.
still havent been able to make them rub in the front.

they did rub the top of the fender well in the back when i was loaded heavy.
i am running elka S3 shocks.
they were originally calibrated for a stock machine unloaded, but i just put some stiffer springs to help when loaded.
seems good so far. im going to the camp tomorrow so ill get to really test it better
IMG 3763

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Great info and pics, appreciate it. Heading to dealer now to sign paperwork

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!