P500 Ruts & tipping over?

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey all. Am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed and hashed out on other posts.

Love the reviews and positive aspects of the P500 and considering purchase this spring.
My Arizona Polaris Ranger friends warn me that narrower P500 might be a problem not being able to stradle the ruts on many of our back roads and trails around here. Or that if the P500 slips into one of the ruts, might be a problem tipping over sideways?
Any first-hand reports out there?

Maybe I should be considering a P700? But I understand it is only 56" wide. Does that 6" make all the difference? Couldn't transport the 700 in back of the truck, but most likely will purchase a trailer for transport anyway. . . . Bob C., Globe, Az.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all. Am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed and hashed out on other posts.

Love the reviews and positive aspects of the P500 and considering purchase this spring.
My Arizona Polaris Ranger friends warn me that narrower P500 might be a problem not being able to stradle the ruts on many of our back roads and trails around here. Or that if the P500 slips into one of the ruts, might be a problem tipping over sideways?
Any first-hand reports out there?

Maybe I should be considering a P700? But I understand it is only 56" wide. Does that 6" make all the difference? Couldn't transport the 700 in back of the truck, but most likely will purchase a trailer for transport anyway. . . . Bob C., Globe, Az.

Welcome to the forum @RCorley . The P5 is a tippy machine off the shelf but with a few tweaks here and there it's less of a concern. Aftermarket wheels will push the stance out a bit, or spacers if you want to keep the stock wheels. I'm at about 53" with mine now, but I also went up by putting 26" tires on it. Can't speak for the 700 but I know I can get in much tighter spaces. Trying to turn around on a trail because it got too tight was more of a concern for me than the rut width. You'll be happy with either one...it's a Honda!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
rzr 900 pioneer 500 same width . 500 is more tippy . tipped mine on its side in a deep rut . tipped my rzr in a bad donut attempt . hows that for first hand

Reactions: SBuckJ
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
With my 30" tires sometimes I call my roof the upper skid plate, I haven't used it yet but have come close. So far its just flopping on its side like Reggie Miller in front of Spike Lee.. But, the RZR 50" has as much ground clearance as a dumpster, so it's no wonder its not top heavy.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Rzr 900 trail = 10" ground clearance . Pioneer 500 8.5" on it's best day . Just sayin

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Rzr 900 trail = 10" ground clearance . Pioneer 500 8.5" on it's best day . Just sayin
My 2017 P5 with 26" ITP Mudlites has a solid 10" clearance front and back. And the shocks are set in the middle. I cranked the shocks up one notch from the factory setting. Made a noticeable difference (about 1/2"). The tire height diff is big. I keep the radial tires at 7 psi.
Fyi Al

Last edited:
Reactions: MNnice and trigger
R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good stuff all. And first-hand. Love it.
Will keep reading reviews (and call a friend in Cortez who loves his P500. That's where this search all started.) and has it all accessorized with gun boots, roof, winch, et. al.
Might even look at P1000 reviews (and pricing) now that I've read this and since I'll most likely be buying a trailer for transport anyway.
Ah, nice to dream. Bob C., Globe

Reactions: AlR
advertisement
R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ugh. Just read a review of the P1000 where the engine heat under the seat was almost unbearable.
I live in the southwest desert and would ride in summer months as well. Extreme heat problem would be a deal breaker.
So now I'm back considering the P500. Any heat issues with the P500 ??

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ugh. Just read a review of the P1000 where the engine heat under the seat was almost unbearable.
I live in the southwest desert and would ride in summer months as well. Extreme heat problem would be a deal breaker.
So now I'm back considering the P500. Any heat issues with the P500 ??

Solvable, I'm in the south where humidity turns 90-100 into 110-125.

My 700 got garaged on those days.

It's March 1, 79 sunny and 80% humidity today, we actually have a heat index of 85 already today.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, there is a heat issue with the 500 as well. Comes up from the seat belt area. It's an easy $50 fix though. Just add some heat shield matting under the seat and you're good to go. Most of us with the 500's have done this mod.

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Trigger, will have to ask you for a link to the heat shield matting at some point.
Am leaning now "back" toward the P500. Can see where most accessorize the heck out of it, but guess that's the fun part, eh?
Adding taller wheels better clearance, but easier to tip or rollover.
This has been an awesome forum for those of us newbies with lots of questions. Bob C., Globe, Az

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have not really seen that in the world. The 800's I ride with cant drive over a bowling ball and the 1000 4 seaters must have some serious squat once you put people in them because even with the stock 29" tires they cant drive over a milk crate.. With the 30" tires I have compared to the typical RZR they seem low to the ground and get high centered a little more. Maybe I just have fat friends?

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger, will have to ask you for a link to the heat shield matting at some point.
Am leaning now "back" toward the P500. Can see where most accessorize the heck out of it, but guess that's the fun part, eh?
Adding taller wheels better clearance, but easier to tip or rollover.
This has been an awesome forum for those of us newbies with lots of questions. Bob C., Globe, Az

Yes, that is the fun part, tricking it out and making it your own. Helps you to get more familiar with your machine too, if something happens on the trail, it's not as much of an 'oh sh**'! Taller, better tires for sure, that is one of the first accessories along with a roof. It does make it a little more tippy and that's why some run spacers with the factory wheels. If you install after market wheels they're really not needed.
This forum is full of great guys ( and gals ) and we all share a like interest in these machines, so you'll get all the info and ideas you'll need right here. We love to see pics and videos too. Common saying around here is ' pics or it didn't happen '. ;)

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I added 26tires and 1.5 spacers. Ground clearance is 10 and 3/4. 53 wide now. Though there is a debate among some, i see it a non question as to remove the anti sway bar. It made a huge improvement in articulation. But still more tipoy than a rzr trail. Because they sit lower and have more articulation do to longer travel.

All that said, i ride really hard. And its been fine most of the time. Had a few teeter moments. But i knew the situations were hairy. So i approached them slowly. Just take. Time to learn the machine

Reactions: SFC
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I added 26tires and 1.5 spacers. Ground clearance is 10 and 3/4. 53 wide now. Though there is a debate among some, i see it a non question as to remove the anti sway bar. It made a huge improvement in articulation. But still more tipoy than a rzr trail. Because they sit lower and have more articulation do to longer travel.

All that said, i ride really hard. And its been fine most of the time. Had a few teeter moments. But i knew the situations were hairy. So i approached them slowly. Just take. Time to learn the machine

There's that sway bar coming up again. I keep meaning to try it and then I forget about it until it comes up in here. Should I take it off or what? It really made that much of a difference?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!