P500 Ruts & tipping over?

J

Jshell3

There's that sway bar coming up again. I keep meaning to try it and then I forget about it until it comes up in here. Should I take it off or what? It really made that much of a difference?
I couldn't tell any difference, and I'd do it all over again, anyways.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
There's that sway bar coming up again. I keep meaning to try it and then I forget about it until it comes up in here. Should I take it off or what? It really made that much of a difference?
Well, it is 1 nut on each side. I never technically removed it. Had been unhooked for a year now. I just used a zip tie to hold up each end. If you don't like it, you can put it back in 3 minutes.

J

JTW

I thought it was better.. it doesn't change the machine drastically. But I think it helps. Like @Talen said.. it's an easy thing to try!

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey all. Am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed and hashed out on other posts.

Love the reviews and positive aspects of the P500 and considering purchase this spring.
My Arizona Polaris Ranger friends warn me that narrower P500 might be a problem not being able to stradle the ruts on many of our back roads and trails around here. Or that if the P500 slips into one of the ruts, might be a problem tipping over sideways?
Any first-hand reports out there?

Maybe I should be considering a P700? But I understand it is only 56" wide. Does that 6" make all the difference? Couldn't transport the 700 in back of the truck, but most likely will purchase a trailer for transport anyway. . . . Bob C., Globe, Az.
Rutted out roads are the chief challenge to the P5 and are responsible for landing mine on its side twice. Near lay overs too many times to count. Yeah, you can remove the ASB, add spacers and offset wheels, but then why were you purchasing a 50" machine to begin with. I have all three of Hondas UTV's and yes, the 6" that the P7 has makes all the difference in the world! Your friend is right if that's the type of terrain you're going to be encountering very regularly. Get the P7 or the P1K if you have the means. IMO

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No, it doesn't make that much of a difference, but, it does make a difference. It's too easy to disconnect and leave in place to fret over. Try it, if you like, leave it in place and disconnected (better to leave that kind of weight below COG) and if not, reconnect in a few minutes as mentioned by another.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
No, it doesn't make that much of a difference, but, it does make a difference. It's too easy to disconnect and leave in place to fret over. Try it, if you like, leave it in place and disconnected (better to leave that kind of weight below COG) and if not, reconnect in a few minutes as mentioned by another.

Talked me into it...gonna try it. Gonna record the first rutted hill I try. That way if I come tumbling down you guys will be able to see my middle finger hanging out the nets. :eek:

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Rutted out roads are the chief challenge to the P5 and are responsible for landing mine on its side twice. Near lay overs too many times to count. Yeah, you can remove the ASB, add spacers and offset wheels, but then why were you purchasing a 50" machine to begin with. I have all three of Hondas UTV's and yes, the 6" that the P7 has makes all the difference in the world! Your friend is right if that's the type of terrain you're going to be encountering very regularly. Get the P7 or the P1K if you have the means. IMO

I thought the P700 was 60" wide? At least that's what the Honda site says. If someone could measure their P700 that would be great...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just to be sure now, this is what I'm disconnecting correct?
ASB

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Talked me into it...gonna try it. Gonna record the first rutted hill I try. That way if I come tumbling down you guys will be able to see my middle finger hanging out the nets. :eek:
Lmao. I think back in the thread which this was discussed at length, there was about a 95% consensus on the improvement. But it is minimal, and with the height to width relationship of the P5, it's just tippy and there's a learning curve to it, and still you could put it on its side. I laid mine over both before and after ASB disconnect, so disconnecting the ASB isn't kryptonite. I've had my Polaris Ranger for 9 years and never even thought about laying it over let alone coming close. I'm sure I'll experience the same with the P7 and the P1K.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Btw, the 50" RZR is a bit tippy too, I've seen a pic of one on its side, but it's not as tippy as the P5 because it has superior suspension (I hope the wrong person doesn't see that :D) I'm hoping to go along way towards solving this problem with the P5 when I'm able to get back on to the dual air shock mod, but I've already got 1.5 billion invested in it now and it sleeps between the squaw and I as it is. :D

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I thought the P700 was 60" wide? At least that's what the Honda site says. If someone could measure their P700 that would be great...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My bad, that's correct. And the P1K is 62 or 63.

N

NorthPioneer

Jan 26, 2017
CA
I have a p700 and it's 60" wide exactly and it squeaks when I load it on my trailer lol. My wheel spacers better come with a new trailer hehehe.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a p700 and it's 60" wide exactly and it squeaks when I load it on my trailer lol. My wheel spacers better come with a new trailer hehehe.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Does the P7 need wheel spacers, lol?

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Lmao. I think back in the thread which this was discussed at length, there was about a 95% consensus on the improvement. But it is minimal, and with the height to width relationship of the P5, it's just tippy and there's a learning curve to it, and still you could put it on its side. I laid mine over both before and after ASB disconnect, so disconnecting the ASB isn't kryptonite. I've had my Polaris Ranger for 9 years and never even thought about laying it over let alone coming close. I'm sure I'll experience the same with the P7 and the P1K.
My take on it is that alone on the machine, didn't matter cause I don't care if I tip it but on a leisure ride with the other half over rough terrain it is more comfortable...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My take on it is that alone on the machine, didn't matter cause I don't care if I tip it but on a leisure ride with the other half over rough terrain it is more comfortable...
Lmao, never before saw anyone post that they didn't care if they tip it over. Do you have a nervous system?? :D

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
P500 now 55' with upgraded rims and tires, no spacers. Have a Rancher 420 with DCT, and that would make me think about the 1000. Wish they put DCT on all SxSs. Big difference in smooth shifting IMO.

Reactions: Johnsee
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You get it figured out Trig?
It's in the pic you posted. Probably has purple paint or something on the nut.
I can shoot you a pic of the one I removed from Bb. I still have it incase I need to put it back on later. Lol.

I gave it a good look earlier. I think if/when I do it, I'll go all in and remove it all together. I don't want to leave something unattached under the machine. As for keeping it there for low weight, COG, I'm for eliminating weight anywhere I can.

J

Jshell3

I gave it a good look earlier. I think if/when I do it, I'll go all in and remove it all together. I don't want to leave something unattached under the machine. As for keeping it there for low weight, COG, I'm for eliminating weight anywhere I can.
Mine. Completely removed. No zip ties, but it wasn't easy to get out. After I unbolted it all, there was lots of twisting and turning. Including taking the rear tires off.
After I got it out, I was standing there holding it, thinking, "Maybe I shoulda zip tied it". Lol.

(Because it wasn't going back in)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!