Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
New shoes for the Talon have arrived: AMS M1 Evil 32x10-15

2023 09 21 130312 2023 09 21 201216

Got the rear spacers and lug nuts, too.

Now I'm just waiting for the new wheels to show up.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Finally got around to installing one of the first things I ordered for the Talon - the Trail Armor skid plate kit.

I've got the trailing arm guards installed already, and the *correct* A-Arm guards for the '23 R2FLV should be here by MON (returned the wrong ones I ordered already - TA was gracious enough to give me a full refund without a restocking charge).

These went on without too much fanfare. Had to grind a little metal from one of the two slider brackets, as someone clearly wasn't paying attention and welded a brace too close to a hole for a U-bolt.

What I really liked about this kit was that the vast majority of the mount points utilized either the factory bolt holes from the old skid plate or U-nuts (~40 machine screws). There were only 10 self-tappers, which I'll replace with Rivnuts if they do ever strip out.

If you install a winch before you install this skid plate set, have fun installing the two front screws, bowel washers and T-nuts!

Overall, I'm a very happy Trail Armor repeat customer.

2023 09 21 171334 2023 09 21 171357
2023 09 21 195934 2023 09 21 195947
2023 09 21 200016 2023 09 21 200002

I decided to go with the full skid set with the extended side skid plates aka boat sides.

2023 09 21 200025 2023 09 21 200043

It's just a tad thicker than the OEM stuff ... LOL

2023 09 21 171612

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Needed a place to stash a 2-gallon Rotopax fuel pack on the Talon. The area between the Milwaukee Packouts and the Tusk Rear Cargo Barricade seemed like the perfect spot. Just needed to find a mount that would attach to the odd shape of the barricade AND wouldn't interfere with installing/removing the Packout packs before or after the fuel pack was installed.

Took a chance on a roll cage mount (for a standard Rotopax mount) I found online, even though the mount points on the barricade weren't completely round. Luckily, it was a perfect fit to make it work. Appears to be super solid.

One less issue to address.

20230923 192016 20230923 192024

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
New tires and wheels showed up in time to get them mounted and on the Talon before MOM23. Tires actually mounted without too much fanfare.

AMS M1 Evil 32x10-15
System3 SB-4 15x7 +45 (5.5+1.5) Matte Black
1.5" spacers on rear to correct track
Tires measure 31.5" diameter after mounting.

Plan is to get another set of beadlock rings and send them out to be stripped, primed, and powder coated to match the ROPS.

20230925 213646
20230925 182007 20230925 192625
20230925 213816 20230925 213832

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Trail Armor A-Arm guards (aka mud catchers) on (for now).

FYI - If you have a 2023 1000R2 FLV, the TA A-Arm guards are different from all the rest. They have a brand new P/N just for this machine. Had to tell them to update thier BOM/packing list, too, as it (and the hardware package) was short two M6-1.0 x 40MM flange bolts. Oops!

20230927 165042

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Not much in-cab storage with this buggy, so I added a few different soft storage options. Between the seats, rear corners of the roll cage (under the roof), and on the ROPS just behind the driver & passenger. Guess I will see just how waterproof those outside ones are!

20230927 165057 20230927 165108
20230927 165135

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not much in-cab storage with this buggy, so I added a few different soft storage options. Between the seats, rear corners of the roll cage (under the roof), and on the ROPS just behind the driver & passenger. Guess I will see just how waterproof those outside ones are!

View attachment 404157 View attachment 404158
View attachment 404159
I like those. Looks good.
I was surprised at how good the Honda center bag between the seats was waterproof.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I haven't really been happy with the way my Samsung tablet mounts to the passenger grab bar. It somewhat interferes with the passenger (hands and line of sight), and it's pretty far away from the driver anyway.

I saw a few janky looking options online, but I really want to keep everything looking "factory" the best that I can. That means minimal drilling and modifying the dash area.

About a month or so ago, I noticed this thing show up on Amazon:

It's a tablet mount molded specifically for the Talon. Not only is it a tablet mount, but the front opens up (with or without the tablet installed) to reveal both a good-sized storage area and to provide access to your switches (or, in my case, my Auxbeam 8 gang controller). It's very easy to take the tablet on/off, and it can hold a variety of sizes of tablets or phones.

My initial concern was whether or not it would be sturdy enough to survive the abuse. It's a little pricey - got it for $84 with a coupon. There are a number of sellers on Amazon selling this, so I'm guessing it's made by one VaChina company and then sold/rebranded. Worst case, I figured I could return it for a refund if it was junk.

Due to the way I mounted my Auxbeam controller using a custom 3D printed mount from Crossroads3D.com, I actually had to cut out the inside panel of this tablet mount to allow access to the switch panel. The tablet mount also allows you to continue to access the cubby just below the area where your switches are (or my Auxbeam is) mounted with just a small portion of the top of the cubby covered. I have a USB-C charger socket and a dual voltmeter installed on the back wall of the cubby, and I can still see and access both.

I'm pretty impressed with this mount thus far. It reuses the two bolts on either side of the top of the dash for main support. It did come with six self-tapping screws that you're supposed to screw into the dash trim pieces (along the top and the two sides), but I wasn't ready for a full commitment until I was sure it would work out, so I just used some double-sided Gorilla (foam) tape in those areas for right now. It's super secure, holds my Samsung Tab A 10.7" tablet (including the Unicorn protective case, which makes it about 1.5 cm thick), and is not going anywhere.

As I said, I have a USB-C charger socket power inside the cubby, so I was able to run the USB-C cable from there, inside the mount, and then out the back to the side of the tablet, all but hiding most of the cable. There is plenty of room in there to put other things and still access the Auxbeam switch panel, too.

My biggest concern was that it would not orient the tablet at the correct angle for the driver to see, as it is basically parallel with the dash. But the view is actually very good for both the driver and the passenger.

Obviously, I've modified it, so I can't return it even if I wanted to. But I don't. Is it worth $84? I would say probably, although I think it would sell better at around $50-60. After all, you're going to spend at least that much on RAM mount holders, arms, and mounts to be able to attach it to your grab bar.

A few pics of the modification and install. I did clean up all the edges where I cut out the plastic, so it's pretty smooth there.

2023 11 05 113555 2023 11 05 113548
2023 11 05 113537 2023 11 05 113603
2023 11 05 114758 2023 11 05 124309
2023 11 05 114534 2023 11 05 114545
2023 11 05 114729 2023 11 05 120352
2023 11 05 114949 2023 11 05 115121

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I haven't really been happy with the way my Samsung tablet mounts to the passenger grab bar. It somewhat interferes with the passenger (hands and line of site), and it's pretty far away from the driver anyway.

I saw a few janky looking options online, but I really want to keep everything looking "factory" the best that I can. That means minimal drilling and modifying the dash area.

View attachment 408662

It's a tablet mount molded specifically for the Talon. Not only is it a tablet mount, but the front opens up (with or without the tablet installed) to reveal both a good-sized storage area and to provide access to your switches (or, in my case, my Auxbeam 8 gang controller). It's very easy to take the tablet on/off, and it can hold a variety of sizes of tablets or phones.

My initial concern was whether or not it would be sturdy enough to survive the abuse. It's a little pricey - got it for $84 with a coupon. There are a number of sellers on Amazon selling this, so I'm guessing it's made by one VaChina company and then sold/rebranded. Worst case, I figured I could return it for a refund if it was junk.

Due to the way I mounted my Auxbeam controller using a custom 3D printed mount from Crossroads3D.com, I actually had to cut out the inside panel of this tablet mount to allow access to the switch panel. The tablet mount also allows you to continue to access the cubby just below the area where your switches (or my Auxbeam) is mounted with just a small portion of the top of the cubby covered. I have a USB-C charger socket and a dual voltmeter installed in there, and I can still see and access both.

I'm pretty impressed with this mount thus far. It reuses the two bolts on either side of the top of the dash for main support. It did come with six self-tapping crews that you're supposed to screw into the dash trim pieces (along the top and the two sides), but I wasn't ready for a full commitment until I was sure it would work out, so I just used some double-sided Gorilla (foam) tape in those areas for right now. It's super secure, holds my Samsung Tab A 10.7" tablet (including the Unicorn protective case, which makes it about 1.5 cm thick), and is not going anywhere.

As I said, I have a USB-C charger socket power inside the cubby, so I was able to run the USB-C cable from there, inside the mount, and then out the back to the side of the tablet, all but hiding most of the cable. There is plenty of room in there to put other things and still access the Auxbeam switch panel, too.

My biggest concern was that it would orient the tablet at the correct angle for the driver to see, as it is basically parallel with the dash. But the view is actually very good for both the driver and the passenger.

Obviously, I've modified it, so I can't return it even if I wanted to. But I don't. Is it worth $84? I would say probably, although I think it would sell better at around $50-60. After all, you're going to spend at least that much on RAM mount holders, arms, and mounts to be able to attach it to your grab bar.

A few pics of the modification and install.

View attachment 408670 View attachment 408669
View attachment 408668 View attachment 408671
View attachment 408676 View attachment 408680
View attachment 408672 View attachment 408673
View attachment 408674 View attachment 408679
View attachment 408681 View attachment 408678

I've got a question, does nobody make an app or program that allows Tablet Bluetooth access to a switch box like the Auxbeam so you don't need physical switches?

That way you could mount a tablet in this position and not need acces to switches. If not that seems like a million dollar idea.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I've got a question, does nobody make an app or program that allows Tablet Bluetooth access to a switch box like the Auxbeam so you don't need physical switches?

That way you could mount a tablet in this position and not need acces to switches. If not that seems like a million dollar idea.
The more expensive (twice the price that the one I bought) Auxbeam panel can be controlled with a mobile app. You don't even need to mount the panel in an accessible location if you don't want to, as the BT app can control everything.

Auxbeam RGB Bluetooth Switch Panels: Switch Panels

The BT controlled units come in a variety of sized switch panels (e.g., 6 button, 8 button, 12 button) and several different styles of the base control panel (one-sided outlet, two-sided outlet).

Last edited:
C

chucksmith0706

Jul 22, 2020
Louisiana
I haven't really been happy with the way my Samsung tablet mounts to the passenger grab bar. It somewhat interferes with the passenger (hands and line of site), and it's pretty far away from the driver anyway.

View attachment 408662

Due to the way I mounted my Auxbeam controller using a custom 3D printed mount from Crossroads3D.com, I actually had to cut out the inside panel of this tablet mount to allow access to the switch panel. The tablet mount also allows you to continue to access the cubby just below the area where your switches (or my Auxbeam) is mounted with just a small portion of the top of the cubby covered. I have a USB-C charger socket and a dual voltmeter installed in there, and I can still see and access both.

I'm pretty impressed with this mount thus far. It reuses the two bolts on either side of the top of the dash for main support. It did come with six self-tapping crews that you're supposed to screw into the dash trim pieces (along the top and the two sides), but I wasn't ready for a full commitment until I was sure it would work out, so I just used some double-sided Gorilla (foam) tape in those areas for right now. It's super secure, holds my Samsung Tab A 10.7" tablet (including the Unicorn protective case, which makes it about 1.5 cm thick), and is not going anywhere.

My biggest concern was that it would orient the tablet at the correct angle for the driver to see, as it is basically parallel with the dash. But the view is actually very good for both the driver and the passenger.

A few pics of the modification and install.

That looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The useless front bumper was scratched up during shipment, so the dealer has ordered a replacement (on back order) and will be shipping it to me. I asked if they could just cut me a check (I will eventually install an aftermarket front bumper), but they said mother Honda covers all shipping damages, so that's not an option. Boo.

Five months and 26 days later, dealer tells me they finally got the replacement bumper from Honda and will be shipping it out. Will probably be using it (or the damaged one) as a base to build my own front bumper.

20240119 194650

Last edited:
A

auwingrider

Apr 7, 2024
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I haven't really been happy with the way my Samsung tablet mounts to the passenger grab bar. It somewhat interferes with the passenger (hands and line of sight), and it's pretty far away from the driver anyway.

View attachment 408662

Due to the way I mounted my Auxbeam controller using a custom 3D printed mount from Crossroads3D.com, I actually had to cut out the inside panel of this tablet mount to allow access to the switch panel. The tablet mount also allows you to continue to access the cubby just below the area where your switches are (or my Auxbeam is) mounted with just a small portion of the top of the cubby covered. I have a USB-C charger socket and a dual voltmeter installed on the back wall of the cubby, and I can still see and access both.

I'm pretty impressed with this mount thus far. It reuses the two bolts on either side of the top of the dash for main support. It did come with six self-tapping screws that you're supposed to screw into the dash trim pieces (along the top and the two sides), but I wasn't ready for a full commitment until I was sure it would work out, so I just used some double-sided Gorilla (foam) tape in those areas for right now. It's super secure, holds my Samsung Tab A 10.7" tablet (including the Unicorn protective case, which makes it about 1.5 cm thick), and is not going anywhere.

My biggest concern was that it would not orient the tablet at the correct angle for the driver to see, as it is basically parallel with the dash. But the view is actually very good for both the driver and the passenger.

A few pics of the modification and install. I did clean up all the edges where I cut out the plastic, so it's pretty smooth there.

What tablet and app are you using? I love the interface

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!