Shift Gate

C

CP25

Feb 27, 2023
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Is it really worth upgrading OEM Shift Gate? Will it make a huge difference or is money spent better on other upgrades?

Reactions: Smittyp
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is it really worth upgrading OEM Shift Gate? Will it make a huge difference or is money spent better on other upgrades?
I think a straight shot from Low to Reverse might come in handy if you bite off more than you can chew on an uphill. A quick blip in reverse ‘might’ keep you from going over backwards. But if you don’t ride those extremes, then it‘s probably unnecessary.

Reactions: Remington
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It depends on what year buggy you have.
There are threads talking about what internal parts you want for the subtrans - if you already have thouse parts dont bother.
If you don't have thouse parts skip the snake oil and get them.

Thread 'New Sub Trans Shift Star P1K/Talon' New Sub Trans Shift Star P1K/Talon

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Yes I'd get one.....CA Tech or Hess. It helps give it more throw for better engagement. Keep it properly adjusted and you won't have any problems with the subtrans.

Reactions: Smittyp
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It depends on what year buggy you have.
There are threads talking about what internal parts you want for the subtrans - if you already have thouse parts dont bother.
If you don't have thouse parts skip the snake oil and get them.

Thread 'New Sub Trans Shift Star P1K/Talon' New Sub Trans Shift Star P1K/Talon
This ^^^^^

Mine has the updated parts and the difference between it and an older model are immediately noticeable. Much easier and smoother engagement. I’d say if you don’t have a later model ‘21 with the updated shift star and shaft, then a shift gate is probably a good investment.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
All in what you need done. I've got 35000 miles total on two talons with factory gates, no problems so far. Yes, i pay attention to the adjustment and ease into the throttle after every gear change, no races to win here. Have had some bang engagements, nature of the beast with dog gears. Works for me

C

CP25

Feb 27, 2023
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This ^^^^^

Mine has the updated parts and the difference between it and an older model are immediately noticeable. Much easier and smoother engagement. I’d say if you don’t have a later model ‘21 with the updated shift star and shaft, then a shift gate is probably a good investment.
I have a 2021 1000x-4. How do I know if has been updated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
IDK...
Did you guy your machine used?
If no, did you update it?
If no, then its not updated.

If you get some grinding when you put it in LOW then your on the path to needing a replacement. So take it easy and it may never happen. If it happens, adjust the cable and most importantly, ensure the display says L before you start rolling.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You don't unless you take it apart. Hell my machine might not have them, but it is noticeably smoother and easier to engage than any of my friends that have Talons with earlier build dates. Mine was built 9/21.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
From my experience, I have one from each year up to 22, they all have shifted smoothly for me! I take other people, most being there first time even offroading, in our talons all the time and have had no issues (knock on wood 🤓). They are all running 32s or bigger tires and all hard trail miles.
-2019 Talon R Turbo with 1500miles (bought used)
-2020 Talon X with 3,xxx miles (bought new)
-2021 Talon RLV with 2500 miles (bought used)
My kids drive them all the time. I do strictly tell everyone how to shift it, I have shift gates in all of them, and I make sure cable adjustments are right. I know the new parts help with the shifting but a shift gate will still help and they are like 50 bucks, if i am remembering right....

Sledder

Sledder

May 8, 2022
Washington Stat
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I made my own, I like the high and reverse on the drivers side. This is because the shift handle spring pushes it towards the drivers side and that's what is used most of the time.

You do have to be careful, because it's so easy to go from drive to reverse the sub trans can complain once in a while when you don't come to a complete stop.

C

CP25

Feb 27, 2023
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I made my own, I like the high and reverse on the drivers side. This is because the shift handle spring pushes it towards the drivers side and that's what is used most of the time.

You do have to be careful, because it's so easy to go from drive to reverse the sub trans can complain once in a while when you don't come to a complete stop.
View attachment 377096View attachment 377097
Very nice job

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!