BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd like the dxf file too if you would. Wish I had known it was out on the forum b4 I bought my FUTV. As far as the comments go. I think the one piece belly is key. Then any hit it takes, the force is distributed across the whole thing and all bolts as well not just the ones holding an individual panel. I also almost ripped my front piece off at RRB during the takeover. Definitely needs something (bash plate) to cover the front lip and up the brush guard. It's a vulnerable spot and catch point the was it is designed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought the ricochet full skid with uhmw I've cracked two panels so far but the aluminum is holding up. I did bend one crossmember but a boulder rolled underneath and all the tires were off the ground at one point :D. I think I'm going to diy one next with 1/2 sheet and the diy plans here.

Reactions: JTW
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought the ricochet full skid with uhmw I've cracked two panels so far but the aluminum is holding up. I did bend one crossmember but a boulder rolled underneath and all the tires were off the ground at one point :D. I think I'm going to diy one next with 1/2 sheet and the diy plans here.

You have the aluminum Ricochet plates with the UMHW on the bottom? That is what I've been leaning towards.

I was going to get the side pieces first, to protect the floor on each side.. The aluminum with the HMHW (on paper) looks to be the best of both worlds... strong, yet slides off rocks & stuff..

What don't you like about them?

Reactions: Mudwing
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes aluminum and the umhw, the only thing I hate is how fast I ruined two panels. One is "peeling" off the skid and the other just straight cracked. The aluminum is holding up just fine though. Maybe I should make a full one piece 3/8 thick umhw and keep the aluminum underneath? The plastic panels are I think 1/4" thick. I ended up paying $840 for the full system without a-arm skids so that sealed the deal for me.

You have the aluminum Ricochet plates with the UMHW on the bottom? That is what I've been leaning towards.

I was going to get the side pieces first, to protect the floor on each side.. The aluminum with the HMHW (on paper) looks to be the best of both worlds... strong, yet slides off rocks & stuff..

What don't you like about them?

J

JTW

I don’t suggest aluminum for these machines.. they’re too heavy and too open of a space between crossmembers. Once the aluminum takes shape to the impacts you lose that clearance between the skid and expensive stuff! The 1/2” uhmw will at least retain memory and go back to flat.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t suggest aluminum for these machines.. they’re too heavy and too open of a space between crossmembers. Once the aluminum takes shape to the impacts you lose that clearance between the skid and expensive stuff! The 1/2” uhmw will at least retain memory and go back to flat.
Don’t you realize UHMV will flex more than aluminum. UHMV will look fine after a hit but you can’t see what damage occurred underneath. At least with aluminum you can see it you took a bad hit and be prepared for repairs.

Reactions: mjn
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The not quite 3/8” UHWM that SSS Offload used flexed too much and my cross members were bowed.

I straightened them and tacked flatbar to them for strength. Then put 5/16 aluminum behind the not quite ⅜” and bolted it to it in 75 places. It’s still flat as can be and not peeling.

I’m going to replace the not quite ⅜ with half and keep the aluminum behind it, but I don’t use the skid plate as a launch ramp either. I’ll slowly let it settle down into the skid then SLIDE on it. Still takes the load but not such a high sudden impact.

J

JTW

Don’t you realize UHMV will flex more than aluminum. UHMV will look fine after a hit but you can’t see what damage occurred underneath. At least with aluminum you can see it you took a bad hit and be prepared for repairs.
I’ve had both... started with S&S aluminum skids. Now have a one piece 1/2” uhmw I made. Do what you want, but I’m telling ya... the uhmw is a much better product for our applications. I understand the aluminum is “stronger” initially. I argued the same argument. But the issue is once it stretches and deforms... it’s there. Don’t do aluminum!

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been using aluminum skid plates since 1980s. The only time they have deformed was my DG front bash plate bowed from hitting boulders at high speed. I’ve scratched them bad and took nicks out of them but belly skids have never bowed in.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been using aluminum skid plates since 1980s. The only time they have deformed was my DG front bash plate bowed from hitting boulders at high speed. I’ve scratched them bad and took nicks out of them but belly skids have never bowed in.

Trophy trucks use ¾ or 1” UHMW. UHMW is not HDPE which is what 5gal buckets are made of. UHMW is used in the mining industry and on the bottom of air boats. It takes an impact better and disperses the energy more evenly than aluminum. It has the ability to retain its shape after an impact. Aluminum will deform and will “hang” on rocks, mud, or logs because it’s not a self-lubricating engineered polymer. I am using the aluminum backing because the UHMW I have is too thin <⅜” but the ½” is MUCH stronger. I’ll still have the aluminum backing because why not seems like it makes it stronger. So what I’ll have a ¾” thick skid on a SxS

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Real off road trucks use steel plates. What does a trophy truck has to do with this, including five gallon buckets.
We disagree don't take it personal. Also I'm not using self tapping screws and putting holes in my frame to introduce water, salt and corrosion.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I recommend UHMW. They are slicker than aluminum. Aluminum tends to gouge and hang more to where the UHMW slides. The plastic is also a lot quieter hitting things. As far as strength, I don't think it really matters because we are all bending and denting the stronger steel its fastened to regardless of material on hard hits. A flat sheet of any material typically used is not very strong at dispersing loads. It's more of a protection sheet for intrusions and a flat surface to slide on.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a fab shop by me that does custom work for the New York City Fire Dept. I’ll see if he could build me a custom center plate or fully reinforce my Ricochet plate to withstand severe hits.

J

JTW

If you’re going to use aluminum it needs to have bends.. the flat aluminum skids will cause you a problem by deforming if you ride technical rocky trails. The aluminum is faaaar better than the factory skids. But there is too much span under the pioneer and too little clearance between the skid plate and shift fork shaft coming out of the sub trans. They WILL contact!! Do what you want... but there is a very good reason I changed mine and went to the one piece 1/2” uhmw.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you’re going to use aluminum it needs to have bends.. the flat aluminum skids will cause you a problem by deforming if you ride technical rocky trails. The aluminum is faaaar better than the factory skids. But there is too much span under the pioneer and too little clearance between the skid plate and shift fork shaft coming out of the sub trans. They WILL contact!! Do what you want... but there is a very good reason I changed mine and went to the one piece 1/2” uhmw.

Okay... but if you're sayin the aluminum plate WILL come in contact with the sub trans shaft, wouldn't that mean that the UHMW plate would allow that to happen even easier? Given the fact that the aluminum has more resistance/stiffer than the uhmw.. yea, the uhmw goes back to it's original shape, but I'd be worried about damage I couldn't see... right? If I see a big dent in the aluminum skid, I could take it off and bash it back flat again.. I'm just thinking that it would take a much bigger hit to bend the aluminum than it would the uhmw.

I'm not trying to argue at all.. just trying to understand. I totally get the importance of the skid being "slick".. sliding over rocks and such.. and aluminum will definitely grab, no doubt. I was just thinking that the Ricochet aluminum skids with the uhmw overlay would be the ticket.

You commented that the area under the Pioneer doesn't have enough cross members, the space is too open... I would think that for that very reason the aluminum would be a good idea.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay... but if you're sayin the aluminum plate WILL come in contact with the sub trans shaft, wouldn't that mean that the UHMW plate would allow that to happen even easier? Given the fact that the aluminum has more resistance/stiffer than the uhmw.. yea, the uhmw goes back to it's original shape, but I'd be worried about damage I couldn't see... right? If I see a big dent in the aluminum skid, I could take it off and bash it back flat again.. I'm just thinking that it would take a much bigger hit to bend the aluminum than it would the uhmw.

I'm not trying to argue at all.. just trying to understand. I totally get the importance of the skid being "slick".. sliding over rocks and such.. and aluminum will definitely grab, no doubt. I was just thinking that the Ricochet aluminum skids with the uhmw overlay would be the ticket.

You commented that the area under the Pioneer doesn't have enough cross members, the space is too open... I would think that for that very reason the aluminum would be a good idea.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Each impact moves the aluminum plate a little close to the subtrans because it stays close to the shape you deform it to.

The UHMW returns to its original shape after a deforming impact. So while it flexes it flexes the same amount time after time after time.

Reactions: TripleB
J

JTW

Tell me where I'm wrong.
No.. the uhmw is going to be like a trampoline.. it will only go so far and then come back to flat. Vs an aluminum plate continues to stretch and distort. I haven’t seen any signs of the uhmw coming into contact with the sub trans fork. Which suggests it flexes but not to the extent that an already bowed and stretched aluminum plate does. My point is.. you’re on a ride in the rocks and take a hard hit that bows your new aluminum skid. Say you do that half a dozen times in a ride and now you’re a cunt hair away from the sub trans and it’s almost touching. So all the little hits you take for the rest of the day are now impacting on the sub trans vs a uhmw skid that flexes within an 1/8 of the sub trans with hard hits and then returns to flat and while it flexes a bit on the smaller hits they’re never contacting the sub trans. Realistically, you’re not checking the skid every hit.. and if you’re in the middle of a ride and it happens with the aluminum then you’re kinda screwed.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@JTW @ohanacreek

I get the fact that it returns to its shape, and that’s definitely a good thing. However, I can’t get it out of my head that the aluminum will take a much, much bigger hit without distorting at all (in comparison) and all the while, it’s adding strength and rigidity to an area that already has too few crossmembers..

Reactions: Sjc3081

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!